Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2007, 09:05 PM
kla kla started this thread

9 posts, read 42,238 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please give feedback on what Charlotte is like for young, single professionals?
-Is the city a good/safe/exciting place for twenty-something year old women?
-What areas do most young professionals live in?
-Is the downtown (or uptown, rather) busy/alive over the weekend and after work?
-Does the area have an artsy scene or is it primarily conservative?
-Are people open to newcomers?
Any replies are greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,765,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kla View Post
-Is the city a good/safe/exciting place for twenty-something year old women?
Safe? Yes, I would think so. Charlotte's crime occurs mostly in "pockets" and among people who are familiar with each other. In other words, don't move to "the hood", and you should be fine. As for, is it "good and exciting"; I'm a male and I enjoy the city a lot, but I would think the city is "good and exciting" for single women too. However, it depends on your point of reference (depending on where you'd be moving from). It's a nice city and a lot happens here, but if you're looking for non-stop excitement you might want to try somewhere like Atlanta instead.

Quote:
-What areas do most young professionals live in?
All over. Charlotte's not so big that it has enclaves of young professionals in one place more than others. Popular areas now I would say are University City and Northwest Mecklenburg County, and Ballentyne & Southwest Mecklenburg County.

Quote:
-Is the downtown (or uptown, rather) busy/alive over the weekend and after work?
On the weekends, yes, at night. Not so much during the day on weekends though. After work? There are a few places that have nice happy hours, but overall I think that's an area the city could improve upon.

Quote:
-Does the area have an artsy scene or is it primarily conservative?
I think most people would consider Charlotte a fairly conservative town. I wouldn't say we have the arts scene that you would find in midsized cities like Austin, TX or Raleigh, NC. Or maybe even Asheville, NC for that matter. It depends on what you like and what you consider an "arts scene". We have gallery crawls in our "artsy area" called NoDa. We have different types of theater. We have two "artsy" type movie theaters. And I think we have very nice festivals in the summer (search for "Charlotte Shout"). Again, it depends on what you're used to and what you'd expect from an "arts scene".

Quote:
-Are people open to newcomers?
Yes, very much so. People here are very open to newcomers.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 10,589 times
I agree with everything the guy said that posted above me. I'm 23 and live just north of Charlotte on Lake Norman. I'm not far from everything but I didn't like the city life too much. Personally, I like the lake atmosphere better. People just seem more relaxed up here. I'm only a few miles from the heart of Charlotte so I still enjoy going out and hittin up the bars there. Also, it's a pretty safe city. Just use common sense and don't walk alone in a dark alley

Old 01-04-2007, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 13,114 times
I wondered about the scene for young professionals. i am soon to movoing to the area , and I am looking for oppurtunities and venues which will allow me to network with other young professionals. I am from CT, and we have actually done allot here to foster a devlopent of our young professionals as well providing events for them..............If nothing is in place down in Charlotte , I look forward to networking and getting something started with some other individuals!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:17 PM

8 posts, read 33,495 times
I agree with the initial reply from Carolina Blue, I moved here about 3 months ago and discovery the many faces of Charlotte. In addition to the comments from above, I would recommend reading the local free newspaper: Creative Loafing, Elevate and Skirt, at least to get a better fell for what is going on in the city. Enjoy your time!

Old 01-06-2007, 08:56 PM
kla kla started this thread

9 posts, read 42,238 times
Default thanks

Thanks for all the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: