Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:53 PM

99 posts, read 395,890 times

Advertisements

Which do most people use? Where we live now (NYC) cable is much more popular, but also much more expensive. How about in the Charlotte area? (Also, does cable use a seperate box or a direct TV connection?) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 01:58 PM

797 posts, read 3,298,504 times
We only use direct tv for the sports packages. I hate it for everything else. We use time warner for our reg. cable.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,719,007 times
Most people in CLT have cable, at least everyone I know.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:21 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,561,679 times
Matter of preference. I prefer cable. We use to have Dish Network but went back to cable (Time Warner Cable in Charlotte).

Old 04-21-2008, 03:17 PM

367 posts, read 1,030,222 times
If you have a television with a screen size larger than 36 inches, I would advise getting Direct TV or Dish. Programming is pretty good for all. Direct TV is the best for sports. The biggest difference is picture quality when you go to a Big screen. Cable just does not have the bandwith and large screens look grainy with cable. Don't let a cable person tell you "it's digital cable", hogwash, its inferior. Even cables' HD is inferior to Sat HD. When I got my first Big Screen TV (it was a 55 inch 1080i set), I had cable for 2 weeks before I got rid of it and went to Sat. Now I do not know about FIOS, that may be a different ball game. SAT is not that much cheaper though. I am still paying between 90-100 a month and thats without the pay movie channels. I do have all the sports channels though.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:28 PM

672 posts, read 1,832,818 times
We have Directv only for the sports package, but they are so darn expensive. Our monthly TV bill is $130, $200 when we are paying for the sports package. The only premium channel we have is HBO, so pretty expensive. WE do have the HD package, and you have to pay $5 a month per tv so that all adds up. I think our next house will be cable

Old 04-21-2008, 04:12 PM

529 posts, read 1,980,889 times
I used to have Directv, but trees with leaves and storms got in the way. I would rather have it for the sports, but got tired of the signal coming and going. The contract was annoying too. I have cable because of Road Runner, Phone and Cable discounts.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:21 PM

628 posts, read 2,080,185 times
I have Directtv and it's less expensive than Time Warner. I absolutely love it!!! (especially during football season) Their DVR is really good too. I still unfortunately, use TWC for internet due to limited options in my development. I use Vonage for phone and that too is pretty convenient. I think Directtv is the best television provider by far!!!! I hated TWC in NY and I still hate them here...I find their customer service to be a bunch of idiots. I remember when I canceled my service I returned my DVR's to the mall....everyone working for them was so rude and just miserable.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,741,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
If you have a television with a screen size larger than 36 inches, I would advise getting Direct TV or Dish. Programming is pretty good for all. Direct TV is the best for sports. The biggest difference is picture quality when you go to a Big screen. Cable just does not have the bandwith and large screens look grainy with cable. Don't let a cable person tell you "it's digital cable", hogwash, its inferior. Even cables' HD is inferior to Sat HD. When I got my first Big Screen TV (it was a 55 inch 1080i set), I had cable for 2 weeks before I got rid of it and went to Sat. Now I do not know about FIOS, that may be a different ball game. SAT is not that much cheaper though. I am still paying between 90-100 a month and thats without the pay movie channels. I do have all the sports channels though.
Cable can't touch FiOS. If you want to check specs for it, Verizon is rolling out FiOS in several markets. Check the main Verizon website.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:07 PM

529 posts, read 1,980,889 times
What is FiOS? I agree that TWC's customer service leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I hate waiting on hold for 30 minutes every time I call. I like their phone service though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte