Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,972 times

Advertisements

Today I was rear ended on Albemarle Rd. Im fine but my car is pretty banged up. We were in heavy rush hour traffic so I suggested we move the cars to a near-by bank to prevent from blocking traffic. So I get in my left lane to turn. As Im driving off another car got between us. I proceeded to make the turn and I can see in my side mirror that he gets back in the non turning lane to continue straight. I called 911 to report the hit and run. As Im waiting for the police to arrive, I called the 1 800 Direct tv number to report the hit and run. That was pretty much a waste b/c that number connected me to the national offices and after speaking to about 5 Direct Tv employees I realized that was a dead end. The police came and did a report. The officer was pretty confident that he would find the person due the tracking system that's in the vans.

I wanted to do more to assure myself that this guy would not get away with this. So whenI got into my neighborhood I decided to drive around to see if I could find a Direct TV van. Sure enough I spot one pretty quickly. I waited outside until the technician came out. When he came out, I told him what happened. I asked him to please help me find the local contact for Direct TV. He called his supervisor. The supervisor collected a lot of my information, including the police report number. Long story short they assured me they would find the person and take care of it for me and to expect a phone call tomorrow AM.

I initially told the officer I did not want to press charges but the more Im thinking about the way he just took off, the angrier Im getting. Should I press charges? Also, please advise me what I should do next as far as following up with Direct TV.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 08:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
You did talk to an officer and file a hit and run report, right? I hope you did, b/c someone has to pay for the damage to your car!

I don't think it is a matter of "pressing charges," is it? Your insurance company will need the information in order to come to a settlement with the person driving the van (or with the company itself).

You have called your insurance company, haven't you? I don't think there is much more you can do other than get a copy of the accident report and follow your insurance company's instructions.

Maybe someone else knows more about this process and can give you better advice than mine.

Did the officer who spoke to you say anything about the process or whether or not it makes a difference that you moved the vehicle?

Old 09-27-2013, 08:54 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,774 times
Criminal charges are brought by the state not the victim, you will have no choice about pressing charges, the PO and Assistant DA will look at the evidence and determine the the course for charges.

Your insurance company will take care of it, call them and report it, let them handle it, they will do the leg work, that is what you pay them for. One more thing do not talk to anybody but your insurance company. If Direct TV calls give them the name and number of you insurance company and the officer contact number, that is it.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:14 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,867,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You did talk to an officer and file a hit and run report, right? I hope you did, b/c someone has to pay for the damage to your car!

I don't think it is a matter of "pressing charges," is it? Your insurance company will need the information in order to come to a settlement with the person driving the van (or with the company itself).

You have called your insurance company, haven't you? I don't think there is much more you can do other than get a copy of the accident report and follow your insurance company's instructions.

Maybe someone else knows more about this process and can give you better advice than mine.

Did the officer who spoke to you say anything about the process or whether or not it makes a difference that you moved the vehicle?
Hit and run is a criminal offense. Since there was only property damage, by the description given by the OP, the driver of the Directv van should be charged with misdemeanor "hit and run."

In NC there is also a legal requirement, though VERY few people follow it, to remove your vehicle from the travel lanes, if it doesn't create an additional hazard. The OP did exactly what she was supposed to. I hope they catch the slimy SOB that hit her, and make him pay!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:16 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,867,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Criminal charges are brought by the state not the victim, you will have no choice about pressing charges, the PO and Assistant DA will look at the evidence and determine the the course for charges.

Your insurance company will take care of it, call them and report it, let them handle it, they will do the leg work, that is what you pay them for. One more thing do not talk to anybody but your insurance company. If Direct TV calls give them the name and number of you insurance company and the officer contact number, that is it.
Actually, you're mistaken. NC is one of only a few (and perhaps, the only one) where a citizen can swear out an arrest warrant on another citizen. If the OP were so inclined, and the police didn't do so, she could swear out a warrant for misdemeanor "failure to stop," and have the other driver arrested. Upon his arrest, the process is essentially the same. Swearing out a warrant requires a visit before the magistrate, and an oath of affirmation; that's it. Good luck, OP!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,293 times
Minimally, HBO for life....

Old 09-27-2013, 10:31 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Actually, you're mistaken. NC is one of only a few (and perhaps, the only one) where a citizen can swear out an arrest warrant on another citizen. If the OP were so inclined, and the police didn't do so, she could swear out a warrant for misdemeanor "failure to stop," and have the other driver arrested. Upon his arrest, the process is essentially the same. Swearing out a warrant requires a visit before the magistrate, and an oath of affirmation; that's it. Good luck, OP!
And in my (always humble) the "press" part in pressing charges is that the DA isn't going to hang the OP up by the thumbs until she squeals. This isn't a legal opinion but I'm trying to remember if I have ever heard of the police pressing charges when what they do is file them.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:50 AM

5 posts, read 6,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I filed the hit and run report. I did not call my insurance yet as it was end of the business day. Last time i had an accident on a Saturday i had to wait till monday to file a claim. The cop asked if I wanted to press charges. Initially I said no. Now I'm wondering if I should. My only hesitation about pressing charges is retailiation. I can't remember if addresses are included on the police report or not. My concern is the guy seeing the report, seeing my address, and possibly doing something to get back at me. You just never know. The cop did not say anything about me moving. He seemed to understand.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:58 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Years ago an old man hit me in a parking lot. When I went into a business to call the police (long before cell phones) the guy left. Two weeks later I found his car in a driveway a mile from where he hit me. The police asked me in front of him if I wanted to press charges. The old guy was not all there, and the car (Trans Am) was his son's, who had been killed in some kind of accident. I was furious because I was going to have to pay for the damage prior to finding the old guy, but I said I just wanted to be paid for an estimate I'd gotten. The old guy said I was trying to screw him, but the cop told him the alternative to paying me was going to jail. Yes, I gave him the highest of the three estimates I'd gotten, but I felt I needed to cover myself if the repair was more expensive than the estimate showed. In the end I think I did the right thing. The old guy didnt need any more trouble, but I did tell the cop that he seemed out of it when he hit me, and that maybe he shouldn't be driving. The cop said he'd follow up.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,595 times
Send a copy of this posting and comments to Direct TV. Go on the Internet and find the name of the CEO and send a letter to him or her. I bet you get a reaction, PDQ. As for pressing charge, the cop knows better - hit and run is a criminal offense. More than likely, the Direct TV truck is owned by a contractor and is not a Direct TV employee. Remember - details, details, details and any photos are a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte