Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Jayzz View Post
really??? now that's interesting about the traffic. i asked the realtor that question and she seemed like it wasnt an issue. also, my husband would be working downtown.
Seriously, if your hubby is having to go uptown for work, do not go Brookhaven. I'm not so sure I'd go Bridgehampton either - have you tried looking closer in to hwy 51? If you can get "inside" 51, or at least near it the commute time improves so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Has your realtor taken you to see places like Lost Tree and Providence Plantation??? Sent you some links just now, just in case

Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 PM

40 posts, read 146,405 times
thanks for the links. i'm going to check them out.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
We relocated from NY about 10 years ago...you may be surprised to find that in some situations NYers may be the majority. Last year my son played on a rec league soccer team and half (!) the team was originally from NY.
Well that is quite a bit, NC has been hit the hardest as far as transplants go though. If I had to guess, I'd say a good 40% of North Carolina's overall population is not native -- however, you must realize that is not exactly something that can become any more than an estimate. Plus the population change has occurred in the more suburban and sprawly areas as opposed to more rural settings where a strong Southern influence remains.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,330 times
Default B'Hampton

I moved to Bridgehampton a few months ago and love it. Don't know if you have kids, but the schools it feeds to are wonderful as well. Hubby commutes uptown and it takes about a half hour in the morning and 40 mins in the evening. Proximity to shopping, eating and recreation can't be beat. HOA fees are low, pool is huge, new fitness center and the neighbors are great too!!! Good luck, welcome to Charlotte, and DM me if I can help.
PS. There is a gorgeous stone house for sale on my street.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:02 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,711 times
Last numbers I read that had been updated had a 30 % out of state population in NC. That is very high but is only really true in the metro areas as stated very few transplants in the majority of the state. also NY and NJ only made up 11 % of the 30%.. Population in North Carolina (http://www.ncruralcenter.org/databank/datasheet.asp?topic=Population - broken link)

Last edited by NC man; 04-18-2008 at 11:12 AM..

Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Last numbers I read that had been updated had a 30 % out of state population in NC. That is very high but is only really true in the metro areas as stated very few transplants in the majority of the state. also NY and NJ only made up 11 % of the 30%.. Population in North Carolina (http://www.ncruralcenter.org/databank/datasheet.asp?topic=Population - broken link)
Yeah, but they are all here in Charlotte, LOL!! So that would mean like 70,000 NY/NJ newcomers here. And you haven't counted the ones in nearby SC border towns, either, who commute back in to CLT.

Of course, I am just kidding, but I would suspect the figures you cited are low and mine are not that far off!!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 11:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Here is a NJ Chamber of Commerce assessment of outmigration in NJ. Although the article does not break down where NJ residents are moving to, I would suspect a large number are coming to NC - some to RDU . . . and some to CLT. If even 20% are coming to Charlotte, you can see how this would add up.

And this is just for NJ. Have not researched NY's outmigration.

"By 2006, the new outflow was 72,547 persons. A simple extrapolation of this trend suggests that New Jersey would have a net outflow of over 100,000 persons in 2009."

FULL ARTICLE:

New Jersey Chamber of Commerce (http://www.njchamber.com/News/oct%2007%20bloustein.asp - broken link)

Old 04-18-2008, 03:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Here is a NJ Chamber of Commerce assessment of outmigration in NJ. Although the article does not break down where NJ residents are moving to, I would suspect a large number are coming to NC - some to RDU . . . and some to CLT. If even 20% are coming to Charlotte, you can see how this would add up.

And this is just for NJ. Have not researched NY's outmigration.

"By 2006, the new outflow was 72,547 persons. A simple extrapolation of this trend suggests that New Jersey would have a net outflow of over 100,000 persons in 2009."

FULL ARTICLE:

New Jersey Chamber of Commerce (http://www.njchamber.com/News/oct%2007%20bloustein.asp - broken link)

ani- There was a study done somewhere that I read a few months back that indicated that New Jersey was the greatest recipient of New Yorkers fleeing that state. Manhattan's real estate costs ($1500-$2000 per square foot)make NJ seem like a cheap alternative. Multiply the square footage of your house, to see what that amount of living space would cost you in Manhattan! I think NC rates about third on the list of where New Jerseyans are migrating to. PA was number 1 and I can't remember who was #2. But with NJ having the highest property taxes in the nation, almost anywhere looks good!

Your right about the majority of NJ/NY escapees moving to the metro Charlotte and Raleigh areas. I can never think of Cary without the requisite "Collection Area for Relocated Yankees" passing through my mind! I think the sighting of a New Yorker or New Jerseyan in some of the more eastern and central areas of NC would be about as rare as a sighting of a flock of Passenger Pigeons.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:05 PM

77 posts, read 217,469 times
Charlotte is a great place to live. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte