Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,955,954 times

Advertisements

Charlotte News - Local News Charlotte | Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/569903.html - broken link)

I found this interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 10:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,653,782 times
That is interesting from an outsider prospective I find it kinda a hoot.
I am kinda glad the leaders are taking a stand what kind of development is consider part of their area but it basically boils down to the amount the city intakes on property taxes I assume.
My first thought why not just annex it all and be done but I guess they have some uppity do's on council who are looking at the broader picture and long term vision of the city.
It does help with controlling the type of people in your city.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 PM

620 posts, read 2,123,169 times
Just curious, if you live in an unincorporated area, and Marvin annexes you, does your mailing address become Marvin, or would it still be Waxhaw?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:08 AM

431 posts, read 1,672,590 times
Only one Post Office right now hence Waxhaw for everyone.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:59 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,433,194 times
exactly...there is only 1 post office so I guess it wouldnt matter...It just makes me so sick, coming from where we come from that money is the end all here to say what kind of people you are...dh does well and we dont live in Marvin and well im kind of glad in a sense...

Old 04-08-2008, 07:09 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,769,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Charlotte News - Local News Charlotte | Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/569903.html - broken link)

I found this interesting!
Here's a quote from one of the Marvin council members....

"If we bring in $400,000 homes, it will bring down property values ... You are introducing a different element."

Yeah, we all know those Providence Glen homes are all HUD homes...

I'm glad this guy doesn't represent me......arrogant jerk....

Old 04-08-2008, 07:31 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,051,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Just curious, if you live in an unincorporated area, and Marvin annexes you, does your mailing address become Marvin, or would it still be Waxhaw?
ZIP Codes aren't necessary based on municipal boundaries. They're just a means to sort mail. There's an incorporated town near me that has its own ZIP Code. However, they don't have a post office and the USPS has no plans to build one.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,330,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Here's a quote from one of the Marvin council members....

"If we bring in $400,000 homes, it will bring down property values ... You are introducing a different element."

Yeah, we all know those Providence Glen homes are all HUD homes...

I'm glad this guy doesn't represent me......arrogant jerk....
Just for the record, this guy doesn't represent the opinions of a lot of folks in Marvin...especially those who "founded" Marvin. Makes me sick.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 AM

810 posts, read 2,297,485 times
Don't do it Providence Glen, stay with the "Cuthbertson People". Besides, you will have to start a fund for the BMW you child will require in high school. So what are High Gate and Therrel Farms considered? And how about The Reserve, Somerset and Hunter Oaks, certainly Marvin would not allow such trash to be part of their town. The Chimneys of Marvin, how could they put such a community with that kind of element right next to a school . Maybe next town meeting they can vote to have those communities condemned and deport the low lifes to Weddington. Keep it up Marvin, you will lead the nation in highest % of bank owned homes.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,330,774 times
This is so frustrating to me. The founders of the Village of Marvin (the first wave of newcomers) saw that overdevelopment was coming and they came in here screaming "incorporate, save yourselves from overdevelopment." Frankly, I just didn't get what they were talking about. I didn't see the need to incorporate a town in name-only for the sake of protecting zoning. However, those folks thought they could incorporate and block development. Initially, there was no county water or sewer out here and the plan was to keep lot sizes to at least one acre. Now, this was before we had homes the size of hotels being built here. Most of the founding members of the Marvin council were in a neighborhood smaller than Providence Glen. And, I assure you, the intent was anything but being inclusive and arrogant. However, as the council has turned over and the second wave of newcomers have come along, it seems they are coming with a different attitude. They don't mind density and they seem to have deep pockets and the very attitude that I hear folks on here saying they are moving to get away from...

I am so very sad for this community that doesn't even resemble the one I grew up in. I'm pretty sure that today's council would not include my neighborhood if they had the choice. So, so sad... Mike Cognac, come back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte