Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM

148 posts, read 562,929 times

Advertisements

We have found a home we would love to purchase which is currently zoned for Marvin Ridge Schools. We were told that it will be rezoned to Cuthbertson schools when that new schools open. My question is "Is it fair to have my kids start the high school at Marvin Ridge, make friends, and then switch them to Cuthbertson"? This seems to be what is holding me back from pursuing this particular home although I absolutely love it and love the development. Any input?? Did anyone have to switch their kids from Weddington to Marving Ridge? How did your kids feel about it? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 01:30 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad5117 View Post
We have found a home we would love to purchase which is currently zoned for Marvin Ridge Schools. We were told that it will be rezoned to Cuthbertson schools when that new schools open. My question is "Is it fair to have my kids start the high school at Marvin Ridge, make friends, and then switch them to Cuthbertson"? This seems to be what is holding me back from pursuing this particular home although I absolutely love it and love the development. Any input?? Did anyone have to switch their kids from Weddington to Marving Ridge? How did your kids feel about it? Please help!
Your kids won't have a problem with redistricting. They usually keep neighborhoods together, so that if your children make friends with the children in your neighborhood, they will all be redistricted to the new school together.
All of the schools in that area (especially Marvin Ridge) are huge. My son's seventh grade is enormous. There are plenty of kids to befriend. The simple fact is, that redistricting is a way of life in this area. Be prepared to move your kids from one school to another (in some cases several times over the course of their primary education).
Good Luck!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:45 PM

148 posts, read 562,929 times
My daughter is afraid she will make a friend in school from another subdivision and then have to change schools and the friend won't. It would be like uprooting her from her friends all over again. Has anyone gone thru this at all and how did your kids handle it?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad5117 View Post
My daughter is afraid she will make a friend in school from another subdivision and then have to change schools and the friend won't. It would be like uprooting her from her friends all over again. Has anyone gone thru this at all and how did your kids handle it?
tad, not to sound rude, but if that is a huge issue for your daughter, you should probably reconsider the particular development you're interested in. Research some of the communities that are "land-locked", meaning no more new developments and schools that will not be redistricted. The further south you go in the Waxhaw/Weddington/Marvin area, the greater your chances of redistricting become.
It really isn't as big of a deal as you might think it is. Kids in middle school make new friends constantly.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:09 PM

24 posts, read 71,378 times
Also, if you buy a house in one of the developments like Cureton or Lawson that are within a mile or two of the new schools, the chances of being redistricted should be pretty slim. I say, if you love the house and the price is right, go for it!

Old 11-15-2008, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,566 times
iM A KiD THAT GOES TO PARKWOOD
i LiVE iN THE OAKS iF YOU KNOW WHERE THAT iS
i HAVE MADE SO MANY FRiENDS BUT EVERBODY AT MY SCHOOL EXCEPT 4 OF MY FRiENDS
LiVE ON THE OTHERSiDE OF THAT RAiLROAD TRACKS
iVE BECAME VERY CLOSE FRiENDS WiTH THEM BEACAUSE i THOUGHT i WAS
GOiNG TO BE SPENDiNG THE BEST TiME OF OUR LiVES WiTH EACH OTHER.
NOW i FOUND OUT iM GOiNG TO BE REDiSTRiCTED TO CUTHBERSTON
AND i REALYYYYYYYY DONT WANT TO LEAV MY FRiENDS LiKE YOU DONT UNDERSTAND
i THiNK THAT THEY SHOULD JUST LEAVE PARKWOOD OUT OF iT SiNCE THERES ONLY 3 NEiGHBORHOODS FROM PARKWOOD GOiNG TO CUTHBERSTON AND THAT WONT MAKE THAT BiG OF A DiFFERENCE
THERES NO GROWTH PROBLEMS AT PARKWOOD AT ALL AND ALL THE PEOPLE ARE MOViNG iN TO
MARViN AND WEDDiNGTON NOT PARKWOOD SO LET US STAY THERE iNSTEAD OF PUTTiNG US
WiTH A BiG CLUSTER FROM MARViN AND WEDDiNGTON.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:30 AM

3 posts, read 6,157 times
Where would a child go to Middle School that lives on West South Main Street? We have never had to worry about school zone/districts issues before because our children have been grown and on their own for years. However, my daughter (who is a divorced mother) was recently downsized and she and my granddaughter are having to leave the Ballantyne area and move in with us. We live on the square in Waxhaw, so don't have any idea where she (a 6th grader) will be going to Middle School. I've not been able to find any website to show zoning. Anyone know the answer to the question of where my granddaughter will attend Middle School as of August 2009?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte