Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:37 PM

25 posts, read 55,541 times

Advertisements

I justed wanted to toss this one out to the realtors. The square footage on sites like carolinahome.com is now listed in ranges. What gives??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
This was a change that was voted on and approved by the CMLS Board of Directors. The reasoning was that square footage has been given too much importance in our region. It has apparently been used very successfully in other regions. Once the property is closed, we can see the square footage reported by the listing agent.

We realtors still need to measure the house and enter a number for the square footage of the house. The formula for calculating ranges is 10 percent down then rounded to the nearest hundred, and 5 percent up then rounded to the nearest hundred.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
This was a change that was voted on and approved by the CMLS Board of Directors. The reasoning was that square footage has been given too much importance in our region. It has apparently been used very successfully in other regions. Once the property is closed, we can see the square footage reported by the listing agent.

We realtors still need to measure the house and enter a number for the square footage of the house. The formula for calculating ranges is 10 percent down then rounded to the nearest hundred, and 5 percent up then rounded to the nearest hundred.
Thanks for the explanantion.....so what is the benefit to the consumer?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Hard to say-maybe none? When I sold my last house, their appriaser came up with a different sq ft for the house, and smaller, than what was on the listing (which I had taken from the paperwork when I bought it). So, we had another appraiser come out and measure - still a 3rd figure! And it was larger. The buyers had originally wanted to reduce the price due to this "error" but we finally agreed on no reduction. A range would suit me since I would at least know if a listing was in the ballpark of the size I would be looking for.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:49 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
Thanks for the explanantion.....so what is the benefit to the consumer?

Personally I'm not sure if it's good or bad -- but as another poster said, when you have two people measure you will have two different numbers I suppose time will tell. I think they were trying to limit the focus on square footage and try to highlight that there are other things that may be just as important to a potential buyer (i.e., lot, upgrades, age of home).

Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
I can say that when we were looking to buy in 2006 our realtor used that square footage figure like it was gold. We never even really looked at it until we met her. She would tell us the best price to offer based on this number by calculating how much we were paying per square foot and base the offer on that. That could be why we lost out on so many houses and that is why I would never use her again.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,208 times
Interesting. I always thought we had more square footage than reflected on our tax records (and thus our MLS listing.)

Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
Tax records are not an accurate source for the info. I've seen them off by 1000 sq.ft. before.

I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing that we went to a range.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:40 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
Tax records are not an accurate source for the info. I've seen them off by 1000 sq.ft. before.
I always thought that the #s for our neighborhood were off. There were people who had houses that I didn't think were as large as ours whose square footage #s were higher. Our next door neighbors didn't have a living room and had a smaller kitchen than ours, but their square footage was listed as 300-400 more than ours.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
yep same here Weedy, there are a few houses here for sale that are my model and larger than mine? but hey have 1 less bathroom or bedroom...I have to say I dont like this new system..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte