Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:03 AM

57 posts, read 208,849 times

Advertisements

When I was out showing houses yesterday, this change was infuriating! My client kept asking me "what's the s/f"? The ranges to me seemed awfully broad. (I'm resistent to change too) ! Time will tell I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 12:30 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,772,917 times
I think this is going to put the buyer's agent in a position where if the exact square footage is important to the client then they will have to measure it as well. Either that or ask the listing agent for the numbers.

I would not have a problem giving out the figures and/or floorplan on any of my listings. Don't know about others.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:43 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,811,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
I think they were trying to limit the focus on square footage and try to highlight that there are other things that may be just as important to a potential buyer (i.e., lot, upgrades, age of home).
Perhaps a little cynical on my part, but it sounds like a marketing-job to me.
By introducing a range, a realtor will inherently have more listings that satisfy a potential buyer's sq footage requirements.

If this change had been driven by the consumer and not the CMLS, then maybe I'd think differently.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:06 PM

622 posts, read 1,784,459 times
One of the most prevelant real estate lawsuits is over the square footage of a house. If the buyer is making an offer on a house based on a certain price per square foot, they feel cheated if the actual measurements ( not known until they see the appraisal at/or after closing) are 100 square feet less than stated. And the lawsuits begin!

A listing agent is required to measure a house prior to listing. Unfortunately, this is not an easy process if the home is more than 1 story and can result in errors. I feel that the rules are saying "buyer beware". If the price per square foot is how you are basing your offer - "measure, measure, measure".

As a side note, each of our listings are professionally measured and a square footage and dimensioned floorplan are readily available to the buyer or their agent.

In new construction, a deviation from the stated square footage can begin from the time a foundation is poured.

I wonder if the individuals who are concerned with the price per square foot will begin entering the purchase price on an offer to purchase as $80 per square foot, instead of $160,000 for a 2000 square foot home!

Old 04-02-2008, 04:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,892,663 times
Default Sq. Ft. range vs. Exact Measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
One of the most prevelant real estate lawsuits is over the square footage of a house. If the buyer is making an offer on a house based on a certain price per square foot, they feel cheated if the actual measurements ( not known until they see the appraisal at/or after closing) are 100 square feet less than stated. And the lawsuits begin!

A listing agent is required to measure a house prior to listing. Unfortunately, this is not an easy process if the home is more than 1 story and can result in errors. I feel that the rules are saying "buyer beware". If the price per square foot is how you are basing your offer - "measure, measure, measure".

As a side note, each of our listings are professionally measured and a square footage and dimensioned floorplan are readily available to the buyer or their agent.

In new construction, a deviation from the stated square footage can begin from the time a foundation is poured.

I wonder if the individuals who are concerned with the price per square foot will begin entering the purchase price on an offer to purchase as $80 per square foot, instead of $160,000 for a 2000 square foot home!
I got an architect to remodel my home: they sent out their draftmen with some electronic gizmo and a laptop. As each dimension was measured, it was entered into the laptop and they gradually produced a floor plan that was exact. However, it took several hours (3-4? don't remember exactly) and I am sure it would be too expensive for most buyers.

I like the idea of a range as I want a certain size house but I also realize floor plan has a lot to do with how "big" a house seems. I once owned a 1900 sq ft house that seems bigger than my current 2300+ sq. ft. house.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:21 PM

444 posts, read 1,650,600 times
Quote:

My question would be how do the appraisers get comps on houses if the actual square footage is not shown. Are they going to show the actual square footage once the house is closed? If so, where are they going to get
the SF? From the realtor listing the house? Just curious

Old 04-02-2008, 05:31 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,174,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
My question would be how do the appraisers get comps on houses if the actual square footage is not shown. Are they going to show the actual square footage once the house is closed? If so, where are they going to get
The square footage will be listed after the house closes.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
Most appraisers have access to previous appraisal reports that include square footage measurement. Remember, appraisals are based on previous homes that have already sold. Therefore they are comparing like to like.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
The square footage will be listed after the house closes.
This is true unless the listing realtor has hired someone to provide an accurate square footage and floorplan prior to listing the home. If the listing agent has obtained this information, it should be available to the buyer or their agent.

Our investment in such a service runs us less that $200. In our opinion, it is money well spent for the seller and the buyer, or their agents.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:43 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,174,268 times
Quote:
This is true unless the listing realtor has hired someone to provide an accurate square footage and floorplan prior to listing the home. If the listing agent has obtained this information, it should be available to the buyer or their agent.

Our investment in such a service runs us less that $200. In our opinion, it is money well spent for the seller and the buyer, or their agents.
On the CMLS it will be listed as a range. If there is a floorplan available, yes, the listing realtor can provide it. Floorplans are visible online to others with access to CMLS. I agree, I have all of my listings measured, but on the CMLS it will still show as a range if it has not yet closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte