Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 PM

28 posts, read 60,454 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of people relocating to Mooresville, it seems. My husband will be working in Mooresville, but we don't want to live inside the city limits as we are much more "country" people. We would like to be within a 15-20 minute drive to the Lowe's corporate office, however, and have some 10+ acres of land. Can anyone point us in the right direction? What little town would be a good alternative to Mooresville within a decent drive to the city limits? We would need excellent schools as we have a young family.
Thank you in advance for everyone's wonderful insight and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 02:53 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,666,358 times
Iredell County:
Mount Mourne, Troutman, Barium Springs, Statesville

Catawba County:
Sherrils Ford, Terrell

Mecklenburg County:
Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville

Rowan County:
Landis, China Grove

are the few that come to mind.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:53 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,038,802 times
You were probably OK until the "excellent schools"... that's what is going to prevent you from really expanding your search.

You could go South into like Davidson/Cornelius, but then you hit Meck county - where you'll have great Elem but the school ratings degrade seriously as you go up into High Schools.

You could go North up into Troutman, Denver, etc - still plenty of land and development. But as you leave the Mooresville schools, you can't call them excellent. Plus you'll exceed your drive time.

Mooresville is pretty big - you can go East or West on 150 for a ways in each direction.... In fact if you travel East down 150 towards Rowan county you will find much land and horse farms.

If I were you, I would look East first. Lowe's will be on that side of 77 and you'll be able to travel further out trying to stay within 10-15min. Frankly, though, you're going to have a hard time finding everything you need from that list - Best bet imo? "Old" Mooresville East of 77.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:19 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,741,796 times
For the more country type, go into Rowan County. Even the Mooresville addresses in Rowan seem like a world away! Mt. Ulla is pretty close and in Rowan as well. But, as mentioned, Mooresville schools are better. I am a teacher in Rowan and for whatever reason, they do not achieve as well.

And, a 15-20 minute drive is almost unrealistic with out living in Mooresville. It takes 15 or more minutes for me to get from the Iredell County line (on 152) to Wal Mart! And, that is the less crazy side of 77!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:22 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,955,657 times
10+ Acres of land will not be cheap either.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:08 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,675,139 times
What are you looking to spend on the land itself? Or maybe total with land + home?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,383,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You were probably OK until the "excellent schools"... that's what is going to prevent you from really expanding your search.

You could go South into like Davidson/Cornelius, but then you hit Meck county - where you'll have great Elem but the school ratings degrade seriously as you go up into High Schools.

You could go North up into Troutman, Denver, etc - still plenty of land and development. But as you leave the Mooresville schools, you can't call them excellent. Plus you'll exceed your drive time.

Mooresville is pretty big - you can go East or West on 150 for a ways in each direction.... In fact if you travel East down 150 towards Rowan county you will find much land and horse farms.

If I were you, I would look East first. Lowe's will be on that side of 77 and you'll be able to travel further out trying to stay within 10-15min. Frankly, though, you're going to have a hard time finding everything you need from that list - Best bet imo? "Old" Mooresville East of 77.

I have to agree with Mikey. "Old Mooresville", east of I-77 is where you should look. I live there & there's still alot of farmland out this wayl. Travel along the back roads & you'll see "land for sale" signs, it might just be what you're looking for. You'll definitely want to stay in that area for the schools & proximity to Lowe's Corp HQ.

BxRosie

Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 AM

28 posts, read 60,454 times
Thank you all so much for your great advice and opinions. There has to be some trade off to have the land we want I see. We will look around "old" Mooresville as well, thank you for that suggestion.
To the person who sent me a PM, I can't reply to it for some reason, so I'll answer here:
10+ acres with a home is what we are looking for. The "newness" of the home is not a factor in our search really, although newer is always preferred. Our price point for a home with 10+ acres will top out around $350K.
The drive time my husband is dealing with where we live now is about 45 minutes, so anything short of 30 will seem great to him, although I would prefer it be shorter for my own sanity.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:22 PM

876 posts, read 3,795,850 times
$350K for 10+acres AND a home? Better stay out of Mooresville. Try Maiden, Newton, or Lincolnton, Iron Station, etc. The schools aren't "excellent" as compared to the LKN district, but they are still good schools!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte