Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,249,096 times

Advertisements

So...is there a pollen problem (for those with allergies) like in Raleigh?
It seems like people always talk about Raleigh, pollen, and allergies.
What about Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,583,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
So...is there a pollen problem (for those with allergies) like in Raleigh?
It seems like people always talk about Raleigh, pollen, and allergies.
What about Charlotte?
Let me put it this way. Have had allergy and sinus problems all my life. Moved to KS. Sinuses cleared up. Moved back here, chronic problems again. Of course I am allergic to half the universe.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,345,111 times
Never had an allergy in my life back in CA except smoggy days burned my eyes. Since I moved to NC I have developed a sinus problem. Look at all the green here--what would a person expect? Where there are plants, trees and flowers there is going to be more allergies. For me it is well worth my sinus problem. I'm fortunate because I don't have serious allergies. For someone with serious allergies you may want to think it over!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 AM

429 posts, read 731,003 times
I am another person who never had serious allergy or sinus problems. During my 16 yrs. in Charlotte, I have had 3 sinus surgeries; Unfortunately I am allergic to something all four seasons during the year.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:24 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,988,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Let me put it this way. Have had allergy and sinus problems all my life. Moved to KS. Sinuses cleared up. Moved back here, chronic problems again. Of course I am allergic to half the universe.
Allergy sufferers (sp?) hear this!!!!!!!! Get a nedi pot at CVS . It will be your best friend, I PROMISE. They fly off the shelves as fast as they get them in since Dr. Oz spoke of them on Oprah, but they sell them in Wal-Mart and Target as well.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,583,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Allergy sufferers (sp?) hear this!!!!!!!! Get a nedi pot at CVS . It will be your best friend, I PROMISE. They fly off the shelves as fast as they get them in since Dr. Oz spoke of them on Oprah, but they sell them in Wal-Mart and Target as well.
I use this method as well as lots of other things, and agree - do all that you can to combat the allergans here!

Buy lubricant eye drops - "natural tears" and keep your eyes washed out.

Another habit - shower in the morning, and shower/wash hair again if you get out and do yard work during the day. Even if your clothing appears clean, like a pair of jeans, wash them daily if you have been out any. And for shoes - you would not believe the pollen that can be brought in on your feet (and in your pet's hair and his/her paws). Keep a carton of wipe-offs at the door and wash off shoes and doggie paws.

I have a central vac that also filters the air. This is a good investment. If you dont' have one, make sure you get a really good vac that also has a hepa filter. I like aerus/electrolux.

Replace air filters at least monthly. You would not believe the gunk that gets in ours!! We sometimes change ours 2 x a month, especially in Spring and Summer.

Don't be in a hurry to open your windows - you will just let the allergans and pollen in! Wait til after a rain to open your windows.

It may look weird, but use a surgical mast when you work outside, mow the lawn, rake, etc. It is really important to do this when raking if you have sensitivity to molds and fungi as they thrive in damp leaves.

These small things will help if you have sinus problems here in NC.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 AM

457 posts, read 1,378,932 times
Doorway, do these nedi pots really work for allergies? I've been taking a Rx for years for seasonal allergies and that does the trick. I saw the Oprah episode you're referring to, the device looks like a little tea pot, strange procedure, but hey, if it works, I'll try it..

Old 03-03-2008, 01:14 PM

672 posts, read 1,832,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Geez ani, we better put you in a bubble, hehe
The pollen count around here is pretty high. Last year for nearly a month there was that yellow/green pollen residue on our cars and in the air. My then one year old had a massive rash all over his body and after weeks and weeks it was determined he was highly allergic to the pollen.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,444,893 times
Allergies are horrible here...we have a killer mix of grass and tree pollen (most places have one or the other). Sinus infections abound, but I can usually keep mine in check. Green tea with local honey is a lifesaver (the local honey can be bought at earth Fare and many other places).

Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM

672 posts, read 1,832,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
Doorway, do these nedi pots really work for allergies? I've been taking a Rx for years for seasonal allergies and that does the trick. I saw the Oprah episode you're referring to, the device looks like a little tea pot, strange procedure, but hey, if it works, I'll try it..
I've looked into this and it is actually supposed to work. It cleans out the nasal passage and gets rid of all that foreign junk we breathe in all day. RX's work, sort of but they are really just masking your symptoms. If I had really bad allergies I would try the nedi pot as you're better off being medicine free as eventually you sort of become immune to all those drugs.

Last edited by nkjaws; 03-03-2008 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte