Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,160 times

Advertisements

So we are moving from Rochester, NY to Charlotte, NC by march 2016. What are some good areas to live with kids ages 7, 4, and a 7 month old. I've been looking at tons of properties online, but I want to make sure my daughter and son get into a really good public school. Also, that the area is great to raise my kids. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 02:20 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,394,589 times
"Charlotte" is a large, spread our area. Where will you be working? How long of a commute would you like? What is your housing budget?

Old 12-07-2015, 06:40 PM

170 posts, read 287,019 times
Public school is set up differently here. In NC it goes by county. Imagine "Monroe County schools" that would run the whole county, including city schools, with one superintendent. There are not individual towns with their own districts and school boards like Pittsford, Fairport, Hilton. Not sure where you are coming from in Rochester- but you might want to seriously look at private schools. That being said, there are good public schools around the area. We ended up in Fort Mill, SC. Overall, funding of public schools is much less here than NY.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 35,406 times
Default Hi Fellow Rochester Refugee

We just moved here. If you are going to rent first, please message me so I can advise you on how to deal with these property management people--my words are unprintable. Just don't use Park Avenue Properties under any circumstances--they tried to charge us rent for a month that weren't living in a house, just to reserve it. Also, just call "The Maids" or somebody to clean your house if you rent from American Homes 4 Rent and pay to have your carpets steam cleaned because they lie.

I know nada about the schools, but we heard from a realtor who showed us a house in Monroe, NC he said the schools around there were good.

We live near Huntersville in 28214 and I went out last saturday to an open house in a very cute neighborhood (Riverbend) and it was full of kids--apparently it's good because they cancelled the open house due to an offer and the owner said he loved it there but was moving to Mooresville where his older children were going to school (they must be in the racing industry, because NASCAR has a school up there).

Where did you live in Rochester? I might be able to help you find someplace like that and I can ask my husband's coworker who relocated here 20 years ago and his wife is a school teacher.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:54 PM

436 posts, read 447,169 times
[quote=CharlotteRental;42237432]We just moved here. If you are going to rent first, please message me so I can advise you on how to deal with these property management people--my words are unprintable. Just don't use Park Avenue Properties under any circumstances--they tried to charge us rent for a month that weren't living in a house, just to reserve it. Also, just call "The Maids" or somebody to clean your house if you rent from American Homes 4 Rent and pay to have your carpets steam cleaned because they lie.

You hit the nail on the head in regards to Park Avenue Properties. They do not care or respond to renters, leasers, or anyone dealing with them. I was told when I called with an issue concerning a home in my community that had loud, disturbing dogs barking continuously (that weren't allowed in the home according to lease) and the woman at Park Avenue said that they were too busy to deal with it. Besides that, the owner is a state rep. Bradford. Tells me that he's not a leader. I would stay far away as well.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:17 PM

958 posts, read 1,727,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRental View Post
We just moved here. If you are going to rent first, please message me so I can advise you on how to deal with these property management people--my words are unprintable. Just don't use Park Avenue Properties under any circumstances--they tried to charge us rent for a month that weren't living in a house, just to reserve it. Also, just call "The Maids" or somebody to clean your house if you rent from American Homes 4 Rent and pay to have your carpets steam cleaned because they lie.

I know nada about the schools, but we heard from a realtor who showed us a house in Monroe, NC he said the schools around there were good.

We live near Huntersville in 28214 and I went out last saturday to an open house in a very cute neighborhood (Riverbend) and it was full of kids--apparently it's good because they cancelled the open house due to an offer and the owner said he loved it there but was moving to Mooresville where his older children were going to school (they must be in the racing industry, because NASCAR has a school up there).

Where did you live in Rochester? I might be able to help you find someplace like that and I can ask my husband's coworker who relocated here 20 years ago and his wife is a school teacher.

Sounds like you should have hired an agent to help you and not deal with these companies directly.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:09 PM

193 posts, read 496,925 times
Have you searched the surrounding suburbs? Huntersville, Mooresville, Davidson, Cornelius? Do you need to rent first, where will you be working? I can recommend several good rental agencies if needed, but please let us know a little more about your needs.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:16 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,394,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
Sounds like you should have hired an agent to help you and not deal with these companies directly.
What kind of agent does one hire to find a rental? A realtor? No realtor is going to spend the time helping someone find a rental when they get virtually no commission.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:19 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,747,453 times
Where you work really will drive where you live.

Working on the wrong side of Charlotte from where you live will add over an hour to your commute. That time, spent with your children, instead in your car, will be hugely more important than the school thy attend.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,160 times
I currently live in the city of Rochester near w. ridge. rd. I won't be working. My husband is an OTR trucker. Our rent limit is $1,200.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte