Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 08:03 AM

24 posts, read 134,211 times

Advertisements

Just wondering about homeowners associations in new developments. My family is considering a move to the Charlotte area from Long Island. We have no knowledge or experience with HA and were wondering what kinds of rules do they impose?

I realize they charge fees and the value they can add by keeping communities to good quality standards, but was unsure what the rules they used to do this involved.

Are you allowed to do any type of exterior holiday decorating to your own home?
Are domestic pets like dogs allowed?
Can you put up a fence in your own backyard?
Can you put in a pool in your own backyard?

THese are just a few things off the top of my head. Any info on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 08:19 AM

474 posts, read 1,751,305 times
They can be both good and bad. My experiences have been positive. To answer your questions:

Are you allowed to do any type of exterior holiday decorating to your own home? - Yes. We can decorate as we please. I'm sure if someone went to the extremes, something would be said, but I haven't seen that yet.
Are domestic pets like dogs allowed? - Yes, but some breeds are not allowed. I believe Pit Bulls, Rotweillers and Dobermans are restricted in our neighborhood.
Can you put up a fence in your own backyard? - Yes, but you have to put up a certain type of fence and you have to have the plan approved by the HOA prior to the installation.
Can you put in a pool in your own backyard? - Not sure, but my guess is "No" since our clubhouse already has a pool.

Some other rules include not storing RV's or boats on your property; exterior paint colors have to come from a specific list; can't let your grass get out of control, etc.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:24 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,844,711 times
Also decks etc would have to be approved. Some communities allow pools in your yard but again a little excessive IMO if the neighborhood has a pool. It basically is set so that the neighborhood can have a good flow about it.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:26 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,176,933 times
Yes the HOA rules are there to maintain property values. Basically anything outside (especially permanent structures) needs to go through architectural review committee for the neighborhood. Best of luck in your move

Old 11-17-2006, 08:40 AM

33 posts, read 201,740 times
I think the rules differ with each community. Before signing a contract, ask for a copy of the "Covenants and Restrictions" Document.

I have seen some an inch think and others that were less than 10 pages.

The thicker ones specify things like what type of mailbox you can have, approved fence designs and materials (i.e. no stockade or PVC, just black wrought iron, or post and rail). For fences it seems that they like to keep the fences see through, and more for keeping your dog/kids from roaming around. Fences for purposes of privacy seem to be less common.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:02 PM

295 posts, read 1,299,300 times
Its too bad and much too common in my opinion. One more form of big brother or layer of quasi-government to deal with.

I don't live in NC yet, but am having a difficult time finding newly built homes in communities without HOAs. I'm not looking to do goofy stuff to my new home, but I don't like paying a group of people to snoop around the neighborhood and give themselves artificial feelings of power while I'm stroking checks to the association for several hundred dollars per year. I've rarely seen a neighborhood get out of hand where a neighbor is doing something to actually bring down property values. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think its as common as HOA advocates would have you believe.

As for me, I see tremendous value in having a 6' privacy fence in my backyard (especially if my backyard was part of the typical 0.25 acre or less lot that is more-and-more common in these developments). I would also like to have a nice in ground pool in my backyard once I move to NC.

As for the question of why have a pool if the community center already has one? Well, somehow I doubt I could ever expect a relaxing Sunday afternoon out by the pool when its in the middle of the housing development. To me, having a pool will be about relaxing or maybe entertaining with friends and family. Neither of these situations is rectified by having a community pool.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:20 PM

24 posts, read 134,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal View Post
Its too bad and much too common in my opinion. One more form of big brother or layer of quasi-government to deal with.

I don't live in NC yet, but am having a difficult time finding newly built homes in communities without HOAs. I'm not looking to do goofy stuff to my new home, but I don't like paying a group of people to snoop around the neighborhood and give themselves artificial feelings of power while I'm stroking checks to the association for several hundred dollars per year. I've rarely seen a neighborhood get out of hand where a neighbor is doing something to actually bring down property values. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think its as common as HOA advocates would have you believe.

As for me, I see tremendous value in having a 6' privacy fence in my backyard (especially if my backyard was part of the typical 0.25 acre or less lot that is more-and-more common in these developments). I would also like to have a nice in ground pool in my backyard once I move to NC.

As for the question of why have a pool if the community center already has one? Well, somehow I doubt I could ever expect a relaxing Sunday afternoon out by the pool when its in the middle of the housing development. To me, having a pool will be about relaxing or maybe entertaining with friends and family. Neither of these situations is rectified by having a community pool.
I'm feeling you on the fence and the pool. I mean, it's not what would be the ultimate deciding factor on choosing a development as it would be pretty low on my list of necessities, but it would be nice to do exactly as you described with the hanging out by your own private pool. I'm all for being involved with the neighbors and being actively involved in community, but privacy within my own family is something that would be nice to have too.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:41 PM

139 posts, read 360,897 times
How common are the HOA's that restrict private pools? Does anyone put up above ground pools in Charlotte?

Old 11-18-2006, 05:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,876,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelle View Post
How common are the HOA's that restrict private pools? Does anyone put up above ground pools in Charlotte?
Above ground pools are generally not allowed by HOA's I'm afraid. Inground pools are common in many neighborhoods however.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,876,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katodrums View Post
Just wondering about homeowners associations in new developments. My family is considering a move to the Charlotte area from Long Island. We have no knowledge or experience with HA and were wondering what kinds of rules do they impose?

I realize they charge fees and the value they can add by keeping communities to good quality standards, but was unsure what the rules they used to do this involved.

Are you allowed to do any type of exterior holiday decorating to your own home?
Are domestic pets like dogs allowed?
Can you put up a fence in your own backyard?
Can you put in a pool in your own backyard?

THese are just a few things off the top of my head. Any info on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Also, the higher priced the neighborhood, the more restrictive the HOA's seem to be What's your price range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte