Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:19 AM

24 posts, read 134,030 times

Advertisements

We're thinking that we'll be in the mid 300's to low 400's. We have a family member who recently moved to Huntersville and likes it. We're not sure which areas will best suit us, but I'll tell you one thing, I read a post on another thread that mentioned something about corporal punishment in the schools in some counties. I would have to hold it at a very high priority - above all else - NOT to be in those areas. I heard Mecklenburg County does not allow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 11:25 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katodrums View Post
We're thinking that we'll be in the mid 300's to low 400's. We have a family member who recently moved to Huntersville and likes it. We're not sure which areas will best suit us, but I'll tell you one thing, I read a post on another thread that mentioned something about corporal punishment in the schools in some counties. I would have to hold it at a very high priority - above all else - NOT to be in those areas. I heard Mecklenburg County does not allow it.
Well, I really hope you won't let that scare you away. Not saying it might not happen in some more rural areas, I highly doubt it is commonplace. Even in counties where it is still allowable, all any parent has to do is send in written notification that there child is not to be disciplined that way and it won't happen.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:56 PM

24 posts, read 134,030 times
Hey lovesMountains...I've been seeing your posts all over the place and you are very informative and are like a voice of reason. You read things in some places and it sounds like they're lining the kids up and hitting them with sticks.

My kids are really pretty good (and very young), but I prefer the disciplining that is done in school to be of a "hands off" policy.

I actually saw a post you made suggesting Fort Hill SC to someone and I've been looking that up too.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

Old 11-20-2006, 01:01 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
That's Fort Mill... Just wanted to clarify that for incase you were googling it.

If you need any help with the Huntersville area let me know!!

Old 11-20-2006, 02:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katodrums View Post
Hey lovesMountains...I've been seeing your posts all over the place and you are very informative and are like a voice of reason. You read things in some places and it sounds like they're lining the kids up and hitting them with sticks.

My kids are really pretty good (and very young), but I prefer the disciplining that is done in school to be of a "hands off" policy.

I actually saw a post you made suggesting Fort Hill SC to someone and I've been looking that up too.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!
Well katodrums, you've made my day Thanks! I love it here in NC and enjoy helping other people when I can. It's not like NC is pefect, but it does have a lot to offer. Been here 18 years and do a lot of hiking and camping around the state, plus I love to keep up with news across the region when I can. I'm glad to know when anything I have to offer is helpful to someone

Old 04-26-2018, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 2,371 times
If you can't avoid and HOA, make sure your realtor gets you a copy of the rules before you buy in that subdivision.

Worst mistake of my life, not investigating not only the HOA, but the management company they use. I personally haven't had any issues, but the tension in my subdivision is horrible.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:37 AM

11 posts, read 9,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal View Post
Its too bad and much too common in my opinion. One more form of big brother or layer of quasi-government to deal with.

I don't live in NC yet, but am having a difficult time finding newly built homes in communities without HOAs. I'm not looking to do goofy stuff to my new home, but I don't like paying a group of people to snoop around the neighborhood and give themselves artificial feelings of power while I'm stroking checks to the association for several hundred dollars per year. I've rarely seen a neighborhood get out of hand where a neighbor is doing something to actually bring down property values. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think its as common as HOA advocates would have you believe.

As for me, I see tremendous value in having a 6' privacy fence in my backyard (especially if my backyard was part of the typical 0.25 acre or less lot that is more-and-more common in these developments). I would also like to have a nice in ground pool in my backyard once I move to NC.

As for the question of why have a pool if the community center already has one? Well, somehow I doubt I could ever expect a relaxing Sunday afternoon out by the pool when its in the middle of the housing development. To me, having a pool will be about relaxing or maybe entertaining with friends and family. Neither of these situations is rectified by having a community pool.
This is my take on HOAs,I rather have one and pay then not. Why? Without a HOA your next door neighbor could paint there house Purple or Orange or have a boat and mobile home parked in there driveway and you have no say what so ever,This is when a HOA comes in handy,they protect your home values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte