Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 2,908 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Charlotte....my husband's job would be right off 77/Gilead Rd, behind the hospital, if memory serves. We are coming from Orlando, which is immensely overcrowded, IMO. Looking to live in a nice, family oriented area, but would rather not have too tough of a commute. Love Mooresville and it's schools sound great, but I'm guessing commute would be tough? Also like Davidson, but again, unsure of the commute. I even like Huntersville, but I've noticed great rated elementary schools, but high schools questionable, rating-wise? Just want decent work commute, and bonus if I don't have to sit in bad traffic just to run to the store, as I'm a bit tired of that here in FL. Visiting the area again next week and will do some driving around, but curious if anyone has any insight on the above listed commutes, or can just suggest an area to consider that would be a doable commute to Gilead. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 12:19 PM

102 posts, read 112,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferP108 View Post
Looking to move to Charlotte....my husband's job would be right off 77/Gilead Rd, behind the hospital, if memory serves. We are coming from Orlando, which is immensely overcrowded, IMO. Looking to live in a nice, family oriented area, but would rather not have too tough of a commute. Love Mooresville and it's schools sound great, but I'm guessing commute would be tough? Also like Davidson, but again, unsure of the commute. I even like Huntersville, but I've noticed great rated elementary schools, but high schools questionable, rating-wise? Just want decent work commute, and bonus if I don't have to sit in bad traffic just to run to the store, as I'm a bit tired of that here in FL. Visiting the area again next week and will do some driving around, but curious if anyone has any insight on the above listed commutes, or can just suggest an area to consider that would be a doable commute to Gilead. Thanks!
Not sure about your whole family situation, but I hate to say it, if you want to avoid the traffic, move closer into the city. Gilead road is very close to a lot of apartment and condo buildings as well as older freestanding homes. It may cost you a bit more to move closer in, but the benefit would be that you would be able to avoid using, or do away with your car altogether. As it is currently there's still a bit of construction going on in the area, but current plans call for a new grocery store, there's already a complex called the metropolitan in that area with a Target, a new BJ's Wholesale, Best Buy, Staples, Marshall's, and a Trader Joe's, not to mention numerous small businesses and restaurants. Going the other way down Providence there's a large Harris Teeter and more shopping and dining opportunities. If you insist on suburban living I would say Huntersville or Cornelius would be a good bet, still a bit of traffic, but usually that's only during the peak rush hours, up toward Mooresville and Davidson, you're almost always going to have to battle traffic on I-77.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:32 PM

162 posts, read 213,713 times
I-77 traffic is completely horrible. Almost all the time, both directions. If you have to drive it a lot every day, you're going to scream. The whole area has a lot of traffic, left turns are tough in a lot of places, and it is busy all day long... not just rush hour.

But, it is this busy, in part, because it is a great place to live. It is highly desirable, growing, has a lot of amenities, etc.

I'd look in the Exit 25-28 area (north Huntersville and Cornelius). Good schools (you want to be in the Hough HS area, not Hopewell HS), not too far away from Gilead Rd, some great parks, big range of housing variety (depending on what you're looking for), 8 different grocery stores + Target, etc.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:37 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,971,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferP108 View Post
There are a bunch of neighborhoods that you could take a look at that wouldn't be to far of a commute to Gilead. The HS you want over in that area is Hough HS. You can even take a look at Cabarrus County schools.There are some neighborhoods right on the Meck/Cabarrus Line that wouldn't make the drive to Gilead bad at all. Take a look at Skybrook (Cabarrus side), Highland Creek (Cabarrus side), Winding Walk, Skybrook North, Cannon Crossing. There are two elementary (Cox Mill and Odell), Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill HS. There is a grocery store just down the street that is easy to get to as well. I used to live over off of Gilead past the hospital and McCoy road. It would take about 20 minutes maybe 25 to get back and forth between Gilead and my neighborhood now (which is one of them I named above). The commute wouldn't look anything like route 50 in Orlando.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:59 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,074,166 times
Charlotte has more congested traffic than Orlando according to this site.

Composite Traffic Congestion Index Shows Richmond Best | Newgeography.com

Old 10-28-2015, 02:42 PM

436 posts, read 447,169 times
If you live in Cornelius, your high school kid will likely go to Hough High which is said to be very good. The elementary schools are good here too. The best thing is that if traffic is like a parking lot as it often is in the mornings, there is an alternative route (actually two of them) that will make it an easy commute. This is also the case if you live in Huntersville. The alternative route is Statesville Road to Gilead or Sam Furr road to Beatty's Ford to Gilead. These are easy, usually no hassle routes. It is a bit harsher driving to and from Mooresville as the alternative routes are not as accessible. If you decide to move closer into town, you will have to drive through heavy traffic and nice neighborhoods are harder to find without quite a bit of travel. If you want a nice area with good schools, check out Cornelius and Huntersville for convenience, amenities, etc. But, check to make sure that your student goes to Hough if you don't want a less academic school. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:48 PM

46 posts, read 106,192 times
I'm south of there near Pineville. I go up to the business park behind the hospital a couple times a year.

If you choose to be south of there here's what I do.

I take I485 to Harris Blvd and then Mt Holly Huntersville road to Reese Blvd and come in the "back" way. It takes about 25 minutes and traffic flows great. I avoid I77 and Gilead rd which as others have said are crowded.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:58 PM

198 posts, read 262,399 times
Commute from Cornelius, Davidson or Huntersville to Gilead Rd should not be a problem and would not require you to get on I-77.
From Cornelius or Davidson take Statesville Rd or Old Statesville Rd to Gilead Rd Or take Catawba Ave in Cornelius to Sam Furr to Beatties Ford to Gilead. Gilead Rd is in Huntersville so again 1-77 not necessary.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:54 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,364,532 times
Davidson, Cornelius and of course Huntersville would all be easy commutes. From Davidson and Cornelius there will be traffic, but you'd be going less than 10 miles and don't necessarily need to go on I-77 (although roads like Statesville and Old Statesville can still have their fair share of traffic). Even Mooresville is definitely still doable...people commute to uptown from Mooresville so you'd be going 15 miles less...depending where in Mooresville it should only be about 30 minutes most days.

But if a main concern is the commute then you might as well just stay in the Gilead Rd. area. I think north of Gilead neighborhoods like Wynfield are zoned for Hough which as has been mentioned is better "rated" than Hopewell, but for what it's worth Hopewell had been named the best HS in the state by one publication at one point, based on the fact that apparently disadvantaged students did well there: https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...best-high.html ... Other than schools like Myers Park and Mooresville High, many of the "top" high schools in the Charlotte area are fairly segregated in terms of socioeconomic status.

The Gilead Rd. area also puts you in position for a much better commute to uptown than the other areas mentioned if you would ever need to commute there.

If you are looking for a little bit of a quieter area, I'd maybe look to the Denver/Lincoln County area. Should still be about 20-30 minutes to Gilead Rd. area from there.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:48 PM

102 posts, read 112,026 times
I'd like to reascend my, previous comment, for some reason I got Gilead Road mixed with Euclid Avenue as it is also near the hospital, albeit a different one. Though living south of the hospital probably wouldn't be a terrible idea, would make it easier to "reverse commute" assuming you'll be using a car in this more suburban area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte