Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 05:35 AM

3 posts, read 17,313 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We're moving to Gilead Ridge in Huntersville the end of August. Does any live in this community? We have children and we're trying to get a feel for the area/community.

Can anyone recommend a storage facility that facilitates boats and trailers that is close by to our residence?

What's it like living close to the lake? Is it tourist like area?

We're very excited to be relocating. Everyone seems so hospitable and nice.

Waiting to move!

LB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 05:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,562,150 times
Hi Wlecome to Huntersville!!

Huntersville great little city the reason I choose this location was due to it a progressive city that is growing. I dont consider it touristy but more of a bedroom community. Except for birkdale shopping area on weekends. A good time to go there is during the week alot less traffic and more peaceful.

I cannot help on boat storage but there is quite a few in the area maybe someone one will mention a good one to use.

What I like living close to the lake is I can access any time I got the urge for some fun in the sun. You are also very close to Mountain Island lake and that another lake very fun to hang out at.

There is an Aquatic Center and a little while back they had olympic diving tryouts held there.

Latta Plantation is really cool park also has the Carolina Raptor Center, horseback riding and they do special events through out the year.

I group up alot of threads relating to the area if you want to know more feel free to look at any of these threads posted below.

Newcomer Photo Guide to Lake Norman and surrounding area

Huntersville New Construction

Update on Light Rail in Charlotte

this thread is about huntersville apartments Huntersville

Huntersville - Gilead Village/Ridge

Mooresville or Huntersville?

Huntersville Farmers Market

Harvest Pointe in Huntersville

Lake Norman?

Hunterville vs. Concord

Huntersville Relocater?

Do you like Lake Norman?

relocating to the Lake Norman area

Looking at Huntersville

Monteith Park Here We Come

Once and for all, Huntersville to Charlotte

Beatties Ford area

What is new at exit 23 in Huntersville

Commute Between Huntersville and Charlotte

Is Lake Norman area rolling hills?

Huntersville?

Details on Birkdale Area?

Old 07-12-2007, 06:00 AM

Thanks!
Does your "quick access to the lake" include Kayaking? We have Kayaks too! LOVE IT!

We live in NH now and Lake Winnipesaukee is a huge tourist attraction which hinders it's enjoyment as ithe water is rough with all the traffic. We were out on Lk. Norman once in May and it didn't seem that bad. I'm sure some areas are different than others though.

I will look over the other threads. I was just looking at all the pictures on the Newcomer thread. that's great!

Anyone have any pictures of Gilead Ridge?

Old 07-12-2007, 06:38 AM

photos of gilead ridge

It a relative new development there stil buidling new homes in that area if Im not mistaken so most of homes should be 2 years or less in age.

There is only one canoe access on lake norman and it on the north side of the lake. It ok to go to but traffic can be heavy so I just go to mountain island lake to kayak on since I can get to it within 5 minutes ( I live in Cedarfield just up the road from Gilead Ridge).

The mountain island canoe access are in Latta Plantation park there is two canoe, kayak access points and both parking is next to the access point.
Lots of coves to sit back and enjoy the lake. I always forget to take my binoculars when I go and there a huge bird nest I want to see with a closer view.

This past weekend I went up to the headwater part of the French Broad River and you have to add that to your to do list. What a great river!

We use this outfitter that shuttle us to the drop off spot. One person stays with the kayaks (ended up being me and I got bored waiting and the passing quick thunderstorm was a hoot.) The other person follows the shuttle to where you want to end your ride on river at then they bring them back.
We choose the 4 hour river trip and that was just perfect.

It was a great relaxing river we only needed the paddles to just steer the kayak and maneuver a few eddy's but most of it you can just lay back and float down the river and enjoy wildlife I saw a few beavers, cranes, birds and great view of some mountains.

here are some photos of our kayak trip down french broad river.
The water a little murky due to that thunder shower.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the photos. I love the picture of the crane. Great information about the canoe ramps. I will look into the other lake and river when we are settled in.

We also like to bike and camp. But we were thinking of trading our camper in for a boat. There doesn't seem to be a lot of camping areas like we have here ...maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spots.

Thanks for all your great insight and information!

Old 07-12-2007, 07:03 AM

lol yeah I dont think you are looking at right spot.

There is boat loads of campgrounds in the mountains, quite a few in piedmont and even several in this area.

Several along the coast as well.

My favorite campground in the mountains is Davidson River it reminds me of a gated subdivision. The sites are wooded and you have vegetation seperating you from your neighbors, next to Davidson River, numerous convient rest rooms/ hot showers, and security.

Feel free to post any questions about anything in area anytime we all are glad to help to make your transistion a little smoother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte