Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,907,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am enjoying this discussion very much. Am I right in perceiving that you, BRKLYN2CLT are from Brooklyn, NY and you were just answering NYBLKQueen - wonder if her names means she is from NY, too? LOL! I didn't think I would ever see the day that two transplants from New York would be having a disagreement over Charlotte, NC, politics.

Gotta tell you, NYBLKQueen . . . I suspect you haven't been here very long or you would better understand that any stereotype you may have about race issues in the South are just that - we just don't care what color people are. The only color that really means anything in the "New South" is Green.
It might be apparent that by using the name NYBLKQueen, that color might be a key player. Now, if I put my name as CLTWHT(meaning white), I would be labeled as a racist and it would be assumed that I would be anti-black. Being that BLK refers to race, it is could likewise be assumed that this person would make race a major issue regardless of whether race is an issue or not and the race card would be thrown out to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,575,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
It might be apparent that by using the name NYBLKQueen, that color might be a key player. Now, if I put my name as CLTWHT(meaning white), I would be labeled as a racist and it would be assumed that I would be anti-black. Being that BLK refers to race, it is could likewise be assumed that this person would make race a major issue regardless of whether race is an issue or not and the race card would be thrown out to play.
Well, Vindaloo . . . you and I have had a lot of nice conversations along the way, but I have to disagree w/ this post. First of all - call me goofy - but I assumed the name NYBLKQueen meant NY Block Queen, as in Jenny from the Block!!! HA HA HA.

But secondly, why on why would anyone assume that b/c of someone's color - they would be "anti" anything???? Or "pro" anything, either??? I surely would not! All my friends, regardless of skin color, hold many different opinions and they are based on life's experiences, education, where they have lived, etc.

For ex, would you assume that b/c I am white, I thought OJ was guilty? And that my dear g/f, who is black, thought he was not guilty? Well, you would be wrong! She and I would watch the trial during the day and debate it during our evening walk - I thought he was not guilty - she thought he was guilty!

I just don't make assumptions. Assumptions lead to stereotypes. Life is much too exciting to limit one's experiences by assuming stuff.

Further, I think NYBLKQueen has a great attitude about the Mackey issue - "let it unfold." Nothing wrong w/ that.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,956,297 times
The guy is a crook! He's in court today. He could face jail time himself! He went bankrupt himself and now we plan on letting him run a 10million dollar budget? I think we can get a better candidate no matter what skin color or party affiliation!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,561,679 times
He is worthless. Why would he even want the position when he sees how many people that thinks he is a JOKE!

He even had trouble getting bonded. It is just one thing after another after another with him. At least we are getting a good laugh at his expense! Looks like he has more skeletons in his closet than most people do. Race has nothing to do with it. I would not want a White, Chinese, Japanese, Korean...etc in office with the same background as him!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:11 PM

870 posts, read 3,531,426 times
Default Mackey found in contempt of court

So he was fined a whole $100. Maybe his supporters will pay the fine for him or he could just forget to pay it, like he forgot to show up in court the first time.
How much is this going to cost the taxpayers? He had court time more than once, the hearing was rescheduled, and now Mackey is going to appeal it.

Anyone thinking about voting Democrat next time, think again!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
So he was fined a whole $100. Maybe his supporters will pay the fine for him or he could just forget to pay it, like he forgot to show up in court the first time.
How much is this going to cost the taxpayers? He had court time more than once, the hearing was rescheduled, and now Mackey is going to appeal it.

Anyone thinking about voting Democrat next time, think again!!!
Voting Democratic has NOTHING to do with it!

And I don't support Mackey. He is a joke.

There are bad apples that are Republican too!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
There are bad apples that are Republican too!
This is very true and if it were the Republican party making a mockery of Charlotte politics I would be saying the same thing.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
This is very true and if it were the Republican party making a mockery of Charlotte politics I would be saying the same thing.
No party even neeeds to be mentioned. BLAME the person, not the party!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:38 PM

great story at
New Sheriff in Town? : The Shot! (http://shotpolitics.com/new-sheriff-in-town.htm - broken link)

the party who is responsible for this mess should be named
Did sheriff election follow Democrats' rules? (http://www.[domain blocked due to spam].net/content/kri/2008/01/did-sheriff-election-follow-democrats-rules - broken link)

Old 01-28-2008, 04:47 PM

905 posts, read 3,457,684 times
How about this:

Mackey found in contempt of court
WCNC STAFF

A judge found Mecklenburg County Sheriff elect Nick Mackey in contempt of court Monday.

Mackey was charged with contempt after a judge says he missed a court date for a client in December and instead held a news conference regarding the sheriff's election.

Mackey was also 45 minutes late to another court date the following day.

Judge Thomas Moore filed what's known as a show cause complaint against Mackey. Today's hearing was rescheduled from January 7.

Mackey was fined $100. He plans to appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte