Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crippus View Post
I am reading some scary reviews of Strawberry Hill in terms of having cockroaches and high crime.....is this correct?
THanks
Craig
I PM'd you. I also saw these reviews while searching for info to send you.

First of all, I never had a bug problem there and they came around and sprayed for bugs regularly.

Secondly, even the nicest homes here in Charlotte can have a bug problem. The roaches are referred to here as Palmetto bugs, LOL. If you have lived in FL, then I am sure you are aware that bugs can be anywhere. We had several Palmetto bugs show up in our home after we moved in (probably hitched a ride in the moving boxes!) and all it took was spraying once. We have not had a problem since.

If others are candid, they will tell you they have had to address bug issues in their new homes here. I think the hysteria over insects is waaaaaay over stated.

If you check out the Marsh properties link . . . you can see the layout of Strawberry Hill and the businesses nearby. Very very convenient, plus play area for kids. Dry cleaner, restaurants, grocery store and bank w/n feet, literally, of your front door. It was very convenient for us. Great location. Yes, there is traffic - that is South Charlotte during rush hours.

Check out other links I sent you . . . see what you feel comfortable w/ as far as location and rent. Listen to what others tell you who are posting on this forum - the anonymous "reviews" on apartment links may be from people who have a bad attitude.

Ctribucher is there right now - I would trust their opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 08:51 AM

183 posts, read 567,118 times
Default Thanks

THank you...disregard my private msg...i did not realize you responded to me

Old 01-16-2008, 08:59 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
On 9245 South Blvd.
Thanks
Look for apartment in Ballantyne area. You will only be about 15-20 minutes away in traffic. That is a very built up safe area. Quite congested. Multiply Wendover Ave near I-40 about 2-3 times or so and you have Ballantyne traffic.

I-485 is a parking lot in the morning headed your way (towards I-77) and a parking lot that crawls from about 4-7pm going toward Ballantyne.

Lots of conveniences though. Great area!

Your challenge is gonna be with the $1,000 a month rent. That is gonna be almost impossible to do for a 3 bedroom. You might find a 2 bedroom in that price range.

Strawberry Hill is nice, but quite a ways from that address on South Blvd.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 01-16-2008 at 09:07 AM..

Old 01-16-2008, 09:41 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
High crime in Strawberry Hill? Hmm... I wonder what that means? I've lived in the complex since 10/15 and it seems like a very quiet, family-oriented place. Lots of people out in the evenings, walking dogs and playing with their kids in the playground (weather permitting). I am a woman and I don't feel uncomfortable walking around with my dog after dark.

I will be honest with you. When we first moved in, I noticed two roaches in our apartment. Believe me, I am so disgusted by roaches that I pitched a fit (husband still teases me about that -- it was not my finest moment). We called the apartment office and they sprayed immediately. That, and we bought these things that you plug into the wall that emit high frequency noises (we can't hear them, and our dog hasn't been bothered by it) that roaches hear that supposedly drive them away. Since the spraying and the outlet things (can't remember what they're called), I've not seen a single roach since then.

The bummer about the apartment ratings sites is that, in my opinion, people are more likely to complain about their bad experiences. And, in many cases, if a place gets very high reviews, it could be that their own staff is posting ratings on the sites to get people in the door. I think you're doing well by posting your questions here and listening to the advice of folks who are living in these places. Of course, you'll need to visit and make the decision that works best for you and your family.

I think the 7 oh 4 brings up a good point about the location. Your job is pretty far down on South Boulevard. For me, I take Fairview Road (turns into Tyvola Road) west in the morning. It takes me about 20-25 minutes to get to where Tyvola crosses South Boulevard in the morning (around the 5600 block), and to get to your location, you'd need to head even further down on South. So, you might want to look into someplace closer to your job.

Best advice I can give you is to make a list of places that you are interesting in seeing, and then come to Charlotte and visit them! It's definitely doable from Greensboro in a day or a weekend. We did our apartment hunting trip from Raleigh in one day (granted, it was a very long day... but still doable!).

Good luck!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 AM

Default Ctribucher and 7oh4

. . . have given you excellent advice!!!

Hope you can find what you like at the right price. 7of4 and Tri made good points about your commute.

Don't hesitate posting if you find a different complex than the ones mentioned - and want member opinions on them. This is very helpful group!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 AM

183 posts, read 567,118 times
Default THanks everyone-

So Ballantyne would be closer? And I can afford $12-$1300 per month, but don't want to , as my family will not be joining me until MAy(when the kids are done with school in Fla.)
Thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
So Ballantyne would be closer? And I can afford $12-$1300 per month, but don't want to , as my family will not be joining me until MAy(when the kids are done with school in Fla.)
Thanks
Ballantyne would most likely be a faster commute. In CLT, you can't measure commute by miles, but rather, by minutes, LOL. What looks like a good route on a map may be slow b/c of bottlenecks, long wait at lights, etc. Plus, Ballantyne is just a very nice area, expanding, lots of retail, nice YMCA, and other conveniences, wh/ would make it very easy to be there w/ kids once your family joins you.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 AM

513 posts, read 2,111,008 times
If you will be working on South Blvd I would definitely NOT consider Lake Norman. Your commute would be terrible. In Ballantyne, you could live at Camden apartments - a 2 BR would run you just under $1000 and you can have pets. Here's a link:
Camden Ballantyne-13901 Summit Commons Boulevard Charlotte, NC 28277 704-543-0880 - Apartment Search Results
Also, Cheswyck at Ballantyne - you could get a 2BR there. Link:
Cheswyck Green at Ballantyne-14125 Wynhallow Downs Lane Charlotte, NC 28277 704-544-7585 - Apartment Search Results
Look at this link for more options:
Ballantyne Apartment Search Results - Ballantyne Apartments for Rent by ApartmentCities.com
Providence Park Apts on Providence Rd is very nice. Call 888-871-0392.
Bexley Crossing in Ballantyne is new. Link: Charlotte,NC apartment community details and pictures Bexley Crossing at Providence
Promenade Park is nice, but a 2BR might run you just over $1000 (call 866-788-7721). You can google any of these, too.
Good luck!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Thanks
That would most likely get you into a 3 bedroom. Charlotte is not cheap, especially if you go into a "nice, safe area".

Where are you moving to Charlotte from?

It is a GREAT city that really offers alot.

You can't go wrong with Ballantyne area since you will be working right at I-485 & South Blvd. A short distance but you will have traffic. You could make it there in rush hour in at least 20 minutes. Not bad for Charlotte standards.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:31 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
I am reading some scary reviews of Strawberry Hill in terms of having cockroaches and high crime.....is this correct?
THanks
Craig
Wow really? That would surprise me, as I have not heard a thing about this kind of stuff happening there at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte