Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:22 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times

Advertisements

What are these cab companies afraid of? Someone driving a clean car, with no warning lights on the dash, not taking the passenger the long way?

Make these cab companies up their game rather than trying to sue to put Lyft and Uber out of business. I say this after several cab rides where there were ABS/airbag/etc warning lights glowing on the dash and a few where the driver attempted to run up the fare by taking the scenic route.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 02:34 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,808,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
What are these cab companies afraid of?
While cabs may have some good reasons for trying to eliminate the threat of Lyft/Uber, the worst excuse I've heard from cabbies is that 'we have mouths to feed'. Do they think that Lyft/Uber drivers have access to cheaper food?

Old 05-20-2014, 03:46 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,392,577 times
All the instances I have used Uber (Dallas & Charlotte) have been fantastic. They arrive within 5 minutes, great communication, very nice vehicles and polite drivers that seem to take a lot of pride in a revolutionary new version of 'taxi'. I offer to tip on last occasion and driver 'no need to'. Speaking of 'mouths to feed' the last driver I used in Dallas immigrated from Egypt in the last year and it was his version of the American Dream...

Old 05-20-2014, 04:17 PM

71 posts, read 87,570 times
It's like hotels hating Airbnb.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:32 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
They are entering Houston now. I expect similar issues. Cabbies here tend to ignore short fares. They all camp at the airports wanting the $50 fare to the city. I was short a car for a while and tried to rely on cabs. After a few days of my 7-15$ fares, they claimed to be 30 minutes away when I called and I live downtown.

I still wonder how the services work when they go deep into the black or Hispanic areas....where cabbies claim to have many excuses for not going for fares.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:21 PM

642 posts, read 1,170,570 times
I also heard that buggy whip makers complained about horseless carriages.

Move with the times. Outdated technology often dies.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
What are these cab companies afraid of? Someone driving a clean car, with no warning lights on the dash, not taking the passenger the long way?

Make these cab companies up their game rather than trying to sue to put Lyft and Uber out of business. I say this after several cab rides where there were ABS/airbag/etc warning lights glowing on the dash and a few where the driver attempted to run up the fare by taking the scenic route.

Thoughts?

The cab companies are being short sighted.

They need to get with the ride sharing app as well, a lot more money is available to them if they have their drivers use their own vehicles. Cost a lot of money to maintain a fleet, provide tow service, repairs, wear and tear on the cabs, etc.

Electronic dispatching and collection of money through credit cards will save the taxi firms a lot of money, and the fees charged to the drivers isn't much less than what they would receive from a lease. Having drivers use their own cars will make it a lot easier to expand service if needed.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:28 AM

71 posts, read 87,570 times
I used Uber the first time last weekend. The car was immaculate, and the driver was friendly. He didn't tell me the credit card reader didn't work to try and get a cash fare, like every cab driver has told me in recent history. The car didn't smell like cigarettes. The normal fare for that ride is $16 and a tip. My Uber fare was $6, and he wasn't expecting a tip. I highly recommend using Uber, because it was in every aspect easier than calling a cab. Loved that I saw the car's location on the app while waiting the five minutes of it to arrive. The cab companies are correct to be afraid of this services, because they deliver a superior product at half the price.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:19 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,351 times
My wife and I needed to go to the airport for a trip, and I looked up local cabs. Would have cost 40 dollars for 1 way to the airport. We are in Fort Mill. We just took our car to long term parking, and it was cheaper.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:30 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
My wife and I needed to go to the airport for a trip, and I looked up local cabs. Would have cost 40 dollars for 1 way to the airport. We are in Fort Mill. We just took our car to long term parking, and it was cheaper.
Long term parking is the way to go at $5/day. Even with the construction it is not bad getting to the long term parking lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte