Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:56 AM

67 posts, read 254,349 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We've found a few houses "near" the Ballantyne area (with the same zip code) that are very inexpensive. I'm curious if there is a "bad" part of town, are just great deals, or something else. I've mentioned we are looking to buy investment properties and these seem like a steal, anyone know why?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:08 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Some may be older (i.e. no upgrades), or on very small lots. For investment property, would probably work well if you are going to rent it out.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:12 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
I would engage the services of a realtor. Does not cost you any as the buyer. They have stats on why houses are inexpensive in seemingly nice areas...as in the number of foreclosures, or mixed occupancies (townhouses and single family homes in the same community), or undue noise level (like if Johnston Road is behind you), or a pending lawsuit on a common area, etc. We had a good agent while buying and she pointed out all these things that are not available in websites if you tried. Best of luck!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:33 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I have not really noticed any bad parts of Ballantyne. Some people may just be wanting to sell quickly.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:39 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
28277 ZIP code covers a pretty big area...and does not mean Ballantyne.. Many neighborhoods with a 28277 ZIP are not near Ballantyne. Hopethat helps!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:55 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
missyp32 - One thing I learned about Charlotte and suburbs is that zip code might mean squat in certain places. For example, a friend lives in Union County, actually Indian Trail, but because her mail is delivered by the Matthews post office, her zip code is Matthews, Meck County, not Union. Her mother who lives in Lancaster County, SC has a Fort Mill, SC town address and zip code (York County) because her community's mail is being delivered by the Fort Mill post office. So just so you don't get misled by the zip code thing. It continues to flumux me to this day!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Well, the zip code thing is a little inaccurate for Fort Mill/Indian Land. While Indian Land does use Fort Mill's post office and thus if Indian land, you have a mail sent to Fort Mill, SC, not Indian Land. However, Indian Land does not have the same zip codes as the town and township of Fort Mill.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:13 PM

825 posts, read 2,818,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
missyp32 - One thing I learned about Charlotte and suburbs is that zip code might mean squat in certain places. For example, a friend lives in Union County, actually Indian Trail, but because her mail is delivered by the Matthews post office, her zip code is Matthews, Meck County, not Union. Her mother who lives in Lancaster County, SC has a Fort Mill, SC town address and zip code (York County) because her community's mail is being delivered by the Fort Mill post office. So just so you don't get misled by the zip code thing. It continues to flumux me to this day!
Postal zip codes do not always match up with county and town borders. Different layers of government that came into effect at different times. Weddington residents created that name so that they wouldn't be annexed into Charlotte. For the longest time one zip code could cover such a large area because the population density was very low. Only now does the Indian Land area now have its own zip code of 29707.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:17 PM

825 posts, read 2,818,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
28277 ZIP code covers a pretty big area...and does not mean Ballantyne.. Many neighborhoods with a 28277 ZIP are not near Ballantyne. Hopethat helps!
The 28277 zip code is about 25 square miles....from highway 521 over to Providence Road and from 485 south to the Marvin and the Indian Land areas.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyp32 View Post
Hello,

We've found a few houses "near" the Ballantyne area (with the same zip code) that are very inexpensive. I'm curious if there is a "bad" part of town, are just great deals, or something else. I've mentioned we are looking to buy investment properties and these seem like a steal, anyone know why?

Thanks!
Give us the addresses or street names and we can be more helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte