Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:18 PM

47 posts, read 262,456 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience taking the bus and train from Ballantyne to Uptown in the mornings and back at 5:00? I'd like to do my part to stay off the roads during the commute.

From the CATS website I found that you can take 43 (bus) and 501 (train) and it seems pretty straight forward. What I dont know is if you can park near the Ballantyne stop during the day and how the commute is in REALITY.

Anyone make this trip?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 04:40 PM

616 posts, read 1,750,917 times
The route for the 43 looks like a painful experience.

Here is list of Park & Rides Park and Rides (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Riding+CATS/Park+'N'+Rides.htm - broken link) that might be useful for you.

Are you located close enough to Lancaster Hwy to just shoot up that road to the I-485 / South Blvd Lynx station? That might be more efficient for you.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:07 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Lancaster Hwy is uunfortunately pretty crowded in the morning. If you get on it early it's not bad. The experience on the train itself is awesome. On the bus from BC Pkwy to Sharon Rd West station shows as 28 minutes. It's about 22 minutes on the train to 7th street station from there. If you get off before 7th St, subtract a couple of minutes. I believe there is a Park and Ride lot at BC Pkwy, but I cannot remember exactly where it is. I will try to find out.

Last edited by groove1; 12-05-2007 at 07:45 AM..

Old 12-05-2007, 08:42 PM

47 posts, read 262,456 times
There is not a park and ride listed on the site that abcornwell references. I have already looked there. If there is not a parking lot, there should be. I still think that the LYNX should have been extended all the way to Ballantyne to relieve some of the traffic on 485 (especially the 485/77 intersection).

Old 12-06-2007, 07:30 AM

382 posts, read 1,887,536 times
i live close to the BC Blvd & Lancaster intersection. If you take Lancaster up to the I-485/S. Blvd train stop, it's about 5.5 miles from that intersection and takes about 12 - 15 minutes. i hate how crowded Lancaster/Polk/S.Blvd is lately!
anyways, the train ride is really nice once you get to the station.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:36 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfpineda View Post
There is not a park and ride listed on the site that abcornwell references. I have already looked there. If there is not a parking lot, there should be. I still think that the LYNX should have been extended all the way to Ballantyne to relieve some of the traffic on 485 (especially the 485/77 intersection).
Nice in theory but not feasible...no existing right of way, plus Pineville town council didn't want it so that makes it almost impossible to get it through to Ballantyne. They cited predicted low ridership at the intersection of Polk and 51, which desn't make sense due to the fact that have a huge shopping center there.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:50 AM

382 posts, read 1,887,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Nice in theory but not feasible...no existing right of way, plus Pineville town council didn't want it so that makes it almost impossible to get it through to Ballantyne. They cited predicted low ridership at the intersection of Polk and 51, which desn't make sense due to the fact that have a huge shopping center there.
Pineville NEEDS a train stop so bad. I hate that stupid intersection of Polk & 51. It's a mess!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,631 times
My boss lives near the BC/Lancaster intersection and the first few times went down Lancaster to the 485/South Blvd station. He then tried going down to 485 @ Johnston Rd and taking that to South Blvd, he found this trip faster than going straight down Lancaster.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 AM

71 posts, read 339,302 times
My fiance takes the 485s train since we live at Carmel & 51. He says it's not too bad. It takes him 15 minutes to get to the park & ride from the house. He says it's not too busy at that stop as most everyone gets on and off at Arrowood. We thought we would see if it would safe us some gas since he works in Uptown. My commute is SO much better. 2.7 miles from the Ballantyne Coldwell Banker office. He did say that the train ride itself is really nice. Don't forget to bring cash for the ticket machines in case the credit/debit doesn't work.... We already ran into that problem.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:03 AM

905 posts, read 3,453,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
Pineville NEEDS a train stop so bad. I hate that stupid intersection of Polk & 51. It's a mess!
Pineville had the chance the have the light rail downtown but declined, they said it would bring too much crime. I bet whomever made that decision has some regrets now!!! What a missed opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte