Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
Matthews covers a pretty large area. I would say at its very northernmost edge you are probably 11 miles or so from downtown, Trade and Tryon. From the neighborhood I am talking about, it's 12 miles up Providence Rd.

In response to some of the other posters, yes, the exact area I am talking about is not technically in Matthews but is a couple of miles from the town border. The original poster asked about SE Charlotte too.

I like living in the Providence/Ballantyne Commons area partly because it gives me easy access to downtown Matthews as I often work there. I'm in and out of downtown Matthews every day.

I can't think of any apartments in the Matthews city limits that would give the original poster a way to walk to a coffee shop, etc. without crossing major roads. Maybe that Windsor Square area. Even though it is a newer area, the Providence Promenade offers walkability and sort of a town square atmosphere.
There are several...Paces Commons is right across the street from Presbyterian Hospital-Matthews and within walking distance of drug stores, Target, Home Depot, Harris Teeter, restaurants etc...

Paces Commons - Apartment Rentals in Matthews, NC | MyNewPlace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 02:15 PM

513 posts, read 2,113,372 times
Matthews is a great town. The downtown area is very walkable (see today's Observer!!) and is convenient to lots of dining shopping, and Uptown. For hotels, you could consider staying at the Marriott Courtyard in Ballantyne. It's about 10 minutes from Matthews and would give you a good idea of what that area has to offer as well. There are several apartment complexes between Matthews and Ballantyne on Ballantyne Commons Parkway. And the Beantown Tavern is a great place to watch games. Go Pats!

Old 12-02-2007, 04:21 PM

58 posts, read 181,729 times
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the info. There are lots of great tips here. Much appreciated

Old 12-02-2007, 04:23 PM

Paces Commons is now on the list of places that I definitely plan to go look at while I am down there. It sounds very much like what I am looking for. Colonial Village @ Matthews is another one that I think looks good. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There are several...Paces Commons is right across the street from Presbyterian Hospital-Matthews and within walking distance of drug stores, Target, Home Depot, Harris Teeter, restaurants etc...

Paces Commons - Apartment Rentals in Matthews, NC | MyNewPlace

Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM

264 posts, read 919,060 times
I wouldn't say Pace's Commons is in a walkable area. You have to cross Highway 51 and walk a quarter mile to get to Target. Harris Teeter and all that is nearby and on the same side of the highway but definitely a bit of a walk down a very busy road. Just my two cents. It is certainly in walking distance but not an area that is pedestrian friendly.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
I wouldn't say Pace's Commons is in a walkable area. You have to cross Highway 51 and walk a quarter mile to get to Target. Harris Teeter and all that is nearby and on the same side of the highway but definitely a bit of a walk down a very busy road. Just my two cents. It is certainly in walking distance but not an area that is pedestrian friendly.
There is a sidewalk the whole way, and a red light to cross over to Target and Panara Breads. I consider a walk of a mile or so VERY convenient, a quarter of a mile is nothing.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 AM

44 posts, read 178,502 times
Great info everyone. We were going to Raleigh but are going to look around in Charlotte. Anyone have an reputable homes for rent website.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:55 PM

693 posts, read 2,178,239 times
Hi OP,

My DH and I are moving to Matthews in about 3 weeks. We watched the Pats game at Beantown Thanksgiving weekend (he's from Maine), its a really super-friendly place. We are thrilled to have a place to go watch the Pats and BoSox. Matthews has a lot of convenient shopping. Certainly walkable from Paces or Matthews Reserve, but I'm not sure about Colonial Village

If you don't care about room service, we recommend staying at the Matthews Courtyard Marriott. Very reasonable price, comfy beds and very clean (free internet too).

Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 PM

Thanks Dame! I'm going to hit the Beantown when I am down there. I'd like to go to watch the Pats game but I have a bunch of apartments that I will probably need to check out on Sunday. I went on priceline the other day and got the Courtyard so I am glad to know it is a good choice. Hope all goes well with the move and have a great holiday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Hi OP,

My DH and I are moving to Matthews in about 3 weeks. We watched the Pats game at Beantown Thanksgiving weekend (he's from Maine), its a really super-friendly place. We are thrilled to have a place to go watch the Pats and BoSox. Matthews has a lot of convenient shopping. Certainly walkable from Paces or Matthews Reserve, but I'm not sure about Colonial Village

If you don't care about room service, we recommend staying at the Matthews Courtyard Marriott. Very reasonable price, comfy beds and very clean (free internet too).

Old 12-06-2007, 09:32 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,086,661 times
I am really excited moving back to the Matthews area again, especially with a Pats/Sox bar nearby...........GO PATS!!!! It will be nice not having to go to other team's bars to watch the Pats win, but on the other hand, it is always sweet to walk out of them with another victory. Five months and counting........tick- tick-tick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte