Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 AM

119 posts, read 183,406 times

Advertisements

Actually, my smart and talented wife got a job in Matthews : ) I wanted to know how you guys feel about the area? I've done a ton of research on different areas of Charlotte and found some zip codes that we like such as: 28270 (Providence area) 28078 (Huntersville) 28031 (Lake Norman) 28227 (Mint Hill). Because the lady secured a position in 28105, I was hoping I can get some info about about the vibe around the area.

We're going to rent a house for the first year, $1,200 or < preferably but flexible. We want to be close to good shopping, parks, recreation, things for families as we are very active and outdoorsy with a 6 year old who snowboards, bikes, skateboards and the like. Of course, good schools are a must, and yes, I know it also depends on the parents being active participants in their child's education so we'll have that on our side as well.

So... Do you guys feel relatively safe driving around the area? Is it more "country" say, as opposed to Huntersville or other areas? Are there any specific cross streets that we should avoid riding our bikes through for example? What about cross streets that we might want to look for homes in? We want a decent sized yard, turn key and ready to live in. We want trick or treaters to actually not be afraid to knock on our doors on Halloween because of crime in the neighborhood (yes, I know crime is everywhere).

I guess that's all I have for now. I hope I've given enough info about what we're looking for. Oh, we'd like to be within 10 miles or so of work which will be in 28105. Wife will work and I'll be a 32 year old stay at home dad, woot!

Okay, let me know and I'll see you in Charlotte! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
I like Matthews. You have a large area to choose from. And all of it is safe. Just avoid sone of the north and some of the east of Matthews close to the Independence Blvd/74.

For what you described, the Union county part of Matthews would appeal to you, zip is 28104 but your budget might restrict you a tad. Parts of Stallings, Indian Trail are also nice. Area by the Weddington Road/Pleasant Plains/Chestnut/Matthews Township to name a few areas. It's actually a lot where you can look, I advise a long drive all around and explore it.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Excellent info, thank you!

Old 09-11-2013, 09:53 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
Matthews is really nice with good schools in the area. Your wife will be very lucky not to have to commute very far. There are many nice areas to choose from in both Mecklenburg and Union County.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Matthews is really nice with good schools in the area. Your wife will be very lucky not to have to commute very far. There are many nice areas to choose from in both Mecklenburg and Union County.
That's what I've been hearing so far. Awesome. Thank you

Old 09-11-2013, 01:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koozie View Post
Actually, my smart and talented wife got a job in Matthews : ) I wanted to know how you guys feel about the area? I've done a ton of research on different areas of Charlotte and found some zip codes that we like such as: 28270 (Providence area) 28078 (Huntersville) 28031 (Lake Norman) 28227 (Mint Hill). Because the lady secured a position in 28105, I was hoping I can get some info about about the vibe around the area.

We're going to rent a house for the first year, $1,200 or < preferably but flexible. We want to be close to good shopping, parks, recreation, things for families as we are very active and outdoorsy with a 6 year old who snowboards, bikes, skateboards and the like. Of course, good schools are a must, and yes, I know it also depends on the parents being active participants in their child's education so we'll have that on our side as well.

So... Do you guys feel relatively safe driving around the area? Is it more "country" say, as opposed to Huntersville or other areas? Are there any specific cross streets that we should avoid riding our bikes through for example? What about cross streets that we might want to look for homes in? We want a decent sized yard, turn key and ready to live in. We want trick or treaters to actually not be afraid to knock on our doors on Halloween because of crime in the neighborhood (yes, I know crime is everywhere).

I guess that's all I have for now. I hope I've given enough info about what we're looking for. Oh, we'd like to be within 10 miles or so of work which will be in 28105. Wife will work and I'll be a 32 year old stay at home dad, woot!

Huntersville and Cornelius (Lake Norman isn't an actual town) would probably be too far of a commute, especially if you're saying you'd want to be within 10 miles of Matthews.

But as others have said, Matthews itself would probably be a pretty good fit. The only problem may be you may need to increase your budget a bit for a SFH.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:45 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koozie View Post

I would avoid riding your bike on the road on Idlewild, for sure. Especially around 51. That intersection gets pretty busy especially during rush hour. There are lots of sidewalks around, though.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:52 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
To be honest, suburban Charlotte is not the best for riding bikes other than inside individual subdivisions. There are some nice greenways though - including a short one right in Matthews by Squirrel Lake Park.
On google maps, one can click bicycling in the upper right and see recommended bike routes. The dark green lines are either greenways of designated bike lanes:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=matth...&z=12&lci=bike

Old 09-11-2013, 02:06 PM

177 posts, read 448,061 times
Matthews would be a great place to have a job. You can live in a nice area with a short commute. Check out Union County areas, Ballantyne, and right inside Matthews. Also, out past 485 on the Mint Hill side too. I'd personally steer clear of living anywhere that directly lines Independence Blvd.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM

All useful input, guys. We're getting more excited hearing the good things about Matthews and surrounding areas. We definitely appreciate the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte