Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 06:30 PM

751 posts, read 935,145 times

Advertisements

We moved to the area about 6 months ago and are renting in Southwest Ballantyne. We're thinking of buying new construction in the mid-300 range. We have 2 early elementary aged children.

I work in the SouthPark area and am trying to minimize commute time while getting the most house for our money in a great school district. That limits our school district ranges (high schools) to Providence, Ardrey Kell, & Weddington.

To get new construction with a yard in our price range, it seems we need to go to Weddington and south. We really like the Franklin Meadows development (Lennar) and I had a few questions:

- Any feedback on Lennar as a builder?
- Any feedback on the Franklin Meadows development?
- Any concern that Phase I of Franklin Meadows is in Meck county and phase II will be in Union county? We'd be buying in phase II. The Meck county portion is Butler High, which we're trying to avoid. There's no chance the county line would change in the future and phase II would become Butler high is there?
- Any things we're not thinking about by living in Union instead of Meck county (except for the lower taxes and better schools?:-) ).
- Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 07:35 PM

284 posts, read 606,272 times
I am not familiar with that neighborhood, although we live in Weddington and love it. Your last sentence will bring out all the folks who love to get in little debates on this forum, so I am getting my popcorn ready and keeping an eye on this one. :-). Best of luck with your decision and I hope you get some good advice!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 PM

Thanks...maybe I should have said: "Lower tax rates and equally good schools". :-)

Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 PM

136 posts, read 327,597 times
That portion of Franklin meadows is actually in the town of Stallings. Those homes as if right now are in the Weddington cluster (could change for next year pending redistricting).

Low taxes, good schools, & own police department (Stallings). Also I have lots of friends who live in Fairhaven who had Lennar homes built and very satisfied with the builder & home. The trash pick up is with God Bless USA and this company uses Recyclebank. You can use recycle bank to earn points and those points can be redeemed for coupons, & free magazine subscriptions.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 8,143 times
I was born in Charlotte, lived there my whole life. Within the last 3 years, we moved from Ballantyne to Weddington. I've been very pleased. Yes taxes are lower, you definitely can get more land for your money, we have good schools and there's generally less traffic which I absolutely love. I didn't move here originally because of traffic but once I did I realized how much I appreciated it.

I took some buyer clients to Franklin Meadows last week; nice development. One thing I noticed is that the development seems to be building out "towards" power lines. The current lots they are building are far enough away but who knows where they'll be building in the future. Power lines are a not a good thing generally for buyers/resale... they don't like to live around them. Just something to look out for with your lot location. Franklin Meadows is in a great location though, close to 485/shopping/dining yet still on the outskirts where congestion is not bad.

I occasionally have to fight the Charlotte traffic to get to the Southpark area during rush hour; that drive would take about 40-45 minutes from that location. Something to think about if it matters to you,

Lori

Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the responses. If it gets redistricted into Stallings, which high school would that fall into?

And thanks for the power lines tip. We did google search it and saw the same thing (what would we do without google), so we'll be keeping that in mind with lot selection.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:44 AM

136 posts, read 327,597 times
Stallings falls into 3 different clusters (Weddington, Sun Valley, & Porter Ridge) because of the geographical layout of the town limits within the county. Stallings is about 1 mile wide and goes along the Mecklenburg border for almost 7 miles. See Town of Stallings*.

This area is assigned to the Weddington cluster and shouldn't be affected by any redistricting but that is not a guarantee. Those reassignment plans will actually be presented at the Facilities Committe tonight. Goto Union County Public Schools - Preparing All Students to Succeed for more info.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte