Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:41 AM

362 posts, read 995,139 times

Advertisements

[quote=mmdj43;142183]I grew up in Astoria. Where in Hauppauge? We used to live on Sherry Lane which is off of Mount Pleasant. Nice area but was getting way too expensive with the taxes alone.

BTW, for all who are moving off the island to come down here, when you cancel your utilities, brace yourselves when you see your final bills. All of a sudden, our last bill was much higher than ever, based on their last reading. Not sure if this is done intentionally since we have no way to prove it since we're down here now. But if you do get a wacky bill, ask a former neighbor to check the readings on the meters. Really stinks when they have you over a barrel.[/QUOT

Our friends live on Autumn Drive, not sure where that is in relation to Sherry Lane. I grew up in Bellerose and my husband grew up in Jackson Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 07:54 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,533 times
[quote=BarbaraNJ;143469]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43 View Post
I grew up in Astoria. Where in Hauppauge? We used to live on Sherry Lane which is off of Mount Pleasant. Nice area but was getting way too expensive with the taxes alone.

BTW, for all who are moving off the island to come down here, when you cancel your utilities, brace yourselves when you see your final bills. All of a sudden, our last bill was much higher than ever, based on their last reading. Not sure if this is done intentionally since we have no way to prove it since we're down here now. But if you do get a wacky bill, ask a former neighbor to check the readings on the meters. Really stinks when they have you over a barrel.[/QUOT

Our friends live on Autumn Drive, not sure where that is in relation to Sherry Lane. I grew up in Bellerose and my husband grew up in Jackson Heights.
I have friends that live in Jackson Heights and my brother and his wife live there as well. Every time I was on the phone with my friend and a plane would fly over, she would tell me to hold on for a second. The planes heading into LaGuardia were so low that you couldn't even hear the person on the other line.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:40 AM

[quote=mmdj43;143997]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraNJ View Post

I have friends that live in Jackson Heights and my brother and his wife live there as well. Every time I was on the phone with my friend and a plane would fly over, she would tell me to hold on for a second. The planes heading into LaGuardia were so low that you couldn't even hear the person on the other line.
Sometimes when we visit my mother-in-law the planes that are landing can be right over your car. Kinda of scary. You said you moved last month did it take you a long time to relocate or was it a transfer for your husband? Seems like it's so hard to get a job and we cannot move until my husband has one. Is it what you expected or is it too soon to tell?

Old 10-30-2006, 09:56 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,793 times
I lived in Forest Hills for a few years. After awhile I didn't even notice the planes. Now I seem to hear everything

Old 10-30-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
Now I seem to hear everything
You know why? Because we're talking as loud as we used to up north. That was the one thing I had to learn to change....toning down my vocal cords. It's not easy, especially chasing after my daughter who thinks it's okay to walk in the middle of the street by herself

Old 10-30-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Sometimes when we visit my mother-in-law the planes that are landing can be right over your car. Kinda of scary. You said you moved last month did it take you a long time to relocate or was it a transfer for your husband? Seems like it's so hard to get a job and we cannot move until my husband has one. Is it what you expected or is it too soon to tell?
My husband is very conservative when it comes to making big decisions because he wants to make sure that he has a sure thing. We didn't sign the contracts to have our home built until he had received the official job offer. Funny thing is that we originally were looking to move to Holly Springs. We even put a down payment to reserve a lot. It was getting close for us to decide whether we were going to go to contract or to back out of the deal. At the time, my husband did not find anything yet and I had tried to convince him to go ahead with the contract, but he wouldn't do it unless he had a sure thing. Good thing we decided to back out because his employment opportunity had brought us to the Charlotte area instead.

So anyway, my husband had stayed in an apartment since the end of May while I remained up north with our daughter to sell our house and get things in order. We made the official move last month when our house was ready. So the relocation did take several months because we were waiting for our house to be ready. My husband had started to put his resume out there in November and his offer came in April. So depending upon what field you are looking for and the demand that is out there, it can take several weeks, or several months, or even longer. Who knows. Right now it may not be that easy finding employment because people generally wait until after the holidays to resign from their jobs.

Based on my own opinion and observation, it's even better than I had expected. I was nervous in the beginning because I didn't know anyone and I was not familiar with the area. But since we've been down here, I've spent a lot of time familiarizing myself with the roads and where certain companies are located in terms of employment. And the people here are wonderful, very well-mannered, and extremely nice, whether they choose to be or not. At least you can walk away knowing that someone has made your day a little bit easier.

I haven't even flinched once about wanting to move back up north. But that's also probably because we are living in an area that is not rural, so there are plenty of stores and shops around. It does seem very nice to be here.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:21 AM

[quote=mmdj43;145443]My husband is very conservative when it comes to making big decisions because he wants to make sure that he has a sure thing. We didn't sign the contracts to have our home built until he had received the official job offer. Funny thing is that we originally were looking to move to Holly Springs. We even put a down payment to reserve a lot. It was getting close for us to decide whether we were going to go to contract or to back out of the deal. At the time, my husband did not find anything yet and I had tried to convince him to go ahead with the contract, but he wouldn't do it unless he had a sure thing. Good thing we decided to back out because his employment opportunity had brought us to the Charlotte area instead.

So anyway, my husband had stayed in an apartment since the end of May while I remained up north with our daughter to sell our house and get things in order. We made the official move last month when our house was ready. So the relocation did take several months because we were waiting for our house to be ready. My husband had started to put his resume out there in November and his offer came in April. So depending upon what field you are looking for and the demand that is out there, it can take several weeks, or several months, or even longer. Who knows. Right now it may not be that easy finding employment because people generally wait until after the holidays to resign from their jobs.

Based on my own opinion and observation, it's even better than I had expected. I was nervous in the beginning because I didn't know anyone and I was not familiar with the area. But since we've been down here, I've spent a lot of time familiarizing myself with the roads and where certain companies are located in terms of employment. And the people here are wonderful, very well-mannered, and extremely nice, whether they choose to be or not. At least you can walk away knowing that someone has made your day a little bit easier.

I haven't even flinched once about wanting to move back up north. But that's also probably because we are living in an area that is not rural, so there are plenty of stores and shops around. It does seem very nice to be here. [/QUOTE

I'm very happy for you. Seems to have been a nice transition. We also are afraid to move w/o a job. My oldest is a junior in highschool so college is looming over us. My husband is in Human Resources so I don't think there are lots of opportunities out there. He just had a headhunter tell him she couldn't recommend him for a job because of his NY salary even though he told her he wasn't looking to or expecting to make the same amount as in NY. But she refused. It's getting frustrating, especially since I feel we are on a time frame with my daughter having to start to think where she wants to go to college. She did want to be in a 4 hour radius of home, so I would like to know where home will be. Well I just keep praying and living vicariously through all of you who have been able to do it. Much happiness and good health in your new home.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I'm very happy for you. Seems to have been a nice transition. We also are afraid to move w/o a job. My oldest is a junior in highschool so college is looming over us. My husband is in Human Resources so I don't think there are lots of opportunities out there. He just had a headhunter tell him she couldn't recommend him for a job because of his NY salary even though he told her he wasn't looking to or expecting to make the same amount as in NY. But she refused. It's getting frustrating, especially since I feel we are on a time frame with my daughter having to start to think where she wants to go to college. She did want to be in a 4 hour radius of home, so I would like to know where home will be. Well I just keep praying and living vicariously through all of you who have been able to do it. Much happiness and good health in your new home.
Thank you for your kind words. And don't listen to the headhunter. Yes, at one point we did make a lot of money in NY, but so far my experience with recruiters contacting me from actual companies have asked me what my requirements are. What I've said to them is that I wasn't sure since all I can base my salary on is from what I got paid in NY, and therefore, my salary requirements were negotiable. Definitely go to Monster, careerbuilder, and also try mrinetwork. Also, have your husband go to actual company websites. A lot of them allow you to create a profile and upload your resume so that it gets retained in their system. I wish you the best of luck. Also keep in mind that you are heading into the end of the year. Many companies are not hiring if people are not leaving. And generally, people will tend to leave after the holidays, just to get thru the holiday season, or to wait to get their bonuses. At the time, my husband began looking for employment in November of 2005 and there was hardly any activity. After the holidays, around mid-January, he started getting a lot of phone calls. Keep your chin up and say your prayers. I'm sure they'll be answered.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43 View Post
Thank you for your kind words. And don't listen to the headhunter. Yes, at one point we did make a lot of money in NY, but so far my experience with recruiters contacting me from actual companies have asked me what my requirements are. What I've said to them is that I wasn't sure since all I can base my salary on is from what I got paid in NY, and therefore, my salary requirements were negotiable. Definitely go to Monster, careerbuilder, and also try mrinetwork. Also, have your husband go to actual company websites. A lot of them allow you to create a profile and upload your resume so that it gets retained in their system. I wish you the best of luck. Also keep in mind that you are heading into the end of the year. Many companies are not hiring if people are not leaving. And generally, people will tend to leave after the holidays, just to get thru the holiday season, or to wait to get their bonuses. At the time, my husband began looking for employment in November of 2005 and there was hardly any activity. After the holidays, around mid-January, he started getting a lot of phone calls. Keep your chin up and say your prayers. I'm sure they'll be answered.
Thanks so much. My husband has actually done most of your suggestions but you are right this is now a bad time of year for job hunting. Actually a bad time for house selling in Nj. So maybe all will come together in the spring.
Take care,
Barbara

Old 11-02-2006, 10:29 PM

98 posts, read 816,121 times
hey mmdj43, i grew up in astoria too! i lived on 41st and 21st avenue around the corner from steinway street. where did you grow up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte