Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,711 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area. I like lots of things about the area so far but one thing I have noticed that has me scratching my head is the lack of road planning. Is this as a result of slow build up over time (and no one anticipated this type of growth)? The layout of Cornelius/Huntersville seems to be an afterthought. Some examples are lack of middle turn/merge lanes, single lane roads where there should be two lanes, highways converging from 4 to 2 lanes. So many roads where you want to make a right turn but there is no right hand turn lane and you have to wait for all the traffic in front to go through the light. Everyone talks about the traffic being bad in this area and there seem to be so many "easy" fixes, at least in certain places. I have learned to be patient on the roads since I moved here, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just wondering if this has been a topic of conversation around here or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,732,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolar View Post
I'm new to the area. I like lots of things about the area so far but one thing I have noticed that has me scratching my head is the lack of road planning. Is this as a result of slow build up over time (and no one anticipated this type of growth)? The layout of Cornelius/Huntersville seems to be an afterthought. Some examples are lack of middle turn/merge lanes, single lane roads where there should be two lanes, highways converging from 4 to 2 lanes. So many roads where you want to make a right turn but there is no right hand turn lane and you have to wait for all the traffic in front to go through the light. Everyone talks about the traffic being bad in this area and there seem to be so many "easy" fixes, at least in certain places. I have learned to be patient on the roads since I moved here, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just wondering if this has been a topic of conversation around here or not?
What roads specifically?

Old 12-17-2013, 02:11 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,206,142 times
We have the same problem in UC, many single line roads with no left/right turn lanes that slow down all traffic.

Providence Rd south of Rea Rd is a mess during traffic hours, and there are other important routes (New Town Rd, etc) in same situation...

Old 12-17-2013, 02:42 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,070,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
We have the same problem in UC, many single line roads with no left/right turn lanes that slow down all traffic.

Providence Rd south of Rea Rd is a mess during traffic hours, and there are other important routes (New Town Rd, etc) in same situation...
I've experienced both and UC is not nearly as bad as up there. You have turn lanes on Providence and New Town at the all the major intersections. Even where there's only a single lane with no turn you're well away from the major roads. Providence mess down South of Rea is nothing like getting around near 77 and the shopping in the Lake Norman area.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:48 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,720,883 times
I've lived in many places and all them except one (pop. 3000) had traffic problems with seemingly easy fixes. My conclusion is that either the planners are idiots or that it is not all that easy to project growth/usage when designing these roadways.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:49 PM

I like to know where up there?
Is not a turn a side street?

I have no issues on Huntersville streets so Im trying to grasp where this perceived problem at?

Old 12-17-2013, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,711 times
I'm so new I don't know many road names but Catawba is one by me near West Moreland that was just redone and yet they left out right turn lanes. Also Sam Furr itself by the lake. Any given road specifically isn't a big deal it's just that as I'm driving around I find myself (ALOT) saying "why isn't there a turn lane here or a middle turn lane"?
I don't want to knock the area, I love it and it's beautiful but I feel like the planning was an after thought or no thought at all.
You can "feel" a sense of planning or lack thereof in any given area and this one is the latter.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:25 PM

Sam Furr like Providence and Rea Road (UC) are all state road so their expansions depends on the state.

I understand your frustration but that part of Sam Furr Hwy 73 has just began being develop within last 5-8 years.
Huntersville just started to expand developments mostly in that direction then.
The state just finish expanding the 4 land part of Sam Furr and Catawba last year and that was badly needed for 10 years.

Good news I guess as it doesnt say when (would be nice) lol that area will be expanded to Davidson Hwy.
NCDOT: Project Details

Old 12-17-2013, 05:25 PM

488 posts, read 802,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Sam Furr like Providence and Rea Road (UC) are all state road so their expansions depends on the state.

I understand your frustration but that part of Sam Furr Hwy 73 has just began being develop within last 5-8 years.
Huntersville just started to expand developments mostly in that direction then.
The state just finish expanding the 4 land part of Sam Furr and Catawba last year and that was badly needed for 10 years.

Good news I guess as it doesnt say when (would be nice) lol that area will be expanded to Davidson Hwy.
NCDOT: Project Details

Exactly. And thank goodness for the Town of Huntersville for spending the money to fix the 77/Sam Furr mess - on time and on budget!!! Had we waited for the state we would have been awesome in 2094!

Personally I think Huntersville has done a good job considering the influx of people. Everytime I get frustrated I drive down to Ballantyne and remarkably everything gets rosey again!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:44 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,419,033 times
I never had much of a problem with Catawba when I lived in that area.

But I think it's fairly obvious one of the roads OP was talking about was 77, which again is the state's responsibility.

I'd also imagine OP was talking about Statesville Rd. which is pretty heavily traveled but only one lane each direction in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte