Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:23 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times

Advertisements

I hope people post their results when they get them. Staggering the results means there won't be a big thud all at once. The MECKBOCC approved the first small batch today. The Observer states that most changes are within $100 of the originals and one house on Colony got bumped UP more than $100K.

Is this the success we're looking for?

Mecklenburg County’s first reval fixes show broad property value cuts | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 11:15 PM

Survey: For those of you hoping for a downward adjustment, what % movement would you like to see in order to satisfy you?

I'm assuming those mad with the reval won't be happy with a 1% adjustment but what about 5? 3? 7?

I think the vast majority of the adjustments is going to be tiny. I'm seeing less than 2% for most but of course they are nowhere near done.

But let's say it's 3%. Lots of people called for people to be fired and claimed fraud and some want criminal investigations three years later. But if it's 3% on average and taxes were raised (and will stay raised) to pay for the refunds, how will this make you feel?

Old 10-13-2013, 10:40 PM

958 posts, read 1,724,815 times
I live in S Charlotte. Are they doing this all over Charlotte?

Old 10-14-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
I live in S Charlotte. Are they doing this all over Charlotte?
Yes, and since I am no longer talking to myself I'll let you in on a secret (but don't tell everyone or it will change). They are updating Real Estate Lookup with new values before approved by the BOCC. So, keep an eye on that BUT it's nearly impossible to know WHY a value is changed by looking at that site because apparently they stopped updating the audit trail in 2011 (I'm trying to get an answer on that).

Also, the are not posting the actual tax neighborhood name on the website because they don't want everyone trying to time the appraiser's arrival. In fact it's almost double-blind but I won't go in to that.

If you suspect that your neighborhood (and I'm talking TAX) may have been done you can look at your tax bill or online and send me your neighborhood code and I can give you a pretty gone guess as to whether or not it has been.

Current: Mecklenburg County Tax Assessor's Office (scroll down)

Complete: Appraisers-on-the-Move

The only set approved by MECKBOCC is one in Myer's Park which is P333. Lots more have been done but not approved such as A101 which has been my constant headache for three years (Lake Norman).

WSOC did a story a couple of nights ago. It's on the web but I'm lazy at the moment. I think it mentions the number completed and is like 5K. I have been told they hope for new notices to go out by mid November but I don't know how many if they have to go through the ceremony of having the Commissioners vote on every batch.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:02 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
I had gotten a business card from an assessor or something in the mail a few weeks ago which said it was in reference to my appeal (which I did file one this year). But are they even still going to take appeals on the old values if they're doing them all over again? So I'm wondering if maybe he was there about the new revaluation.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:08 PM

958 posts, read 1,724,815 times
I got an e mail from them stating.

Mecklenburg County hired Pearson Appraisal Services to red the ENTIRE county and EVERY property owner will be renoticed and provided with an opportunity to appeal.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I had gotten a business card from an assessor or something in the mail a few weeks ago which said it was in reference to my appeal (which I did file one this year). But are they even still going to take appeals on the old values if they're doing them all over again? So I'm wondering if maybe he was there about the new revaluation.
Yeah, that hurts my head. Maybe they'll hold the slot in case you appeal the new, new numbers.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
I got an e mail from them stating.

Mecklenburg County hired Pearson Appraisal Services to red the ENTIRE county and EVERY property owner will be renoticed and provided with an opportunity to appeal.
Yeah the rights are the same under the new law. The difference from my perspective is they will release the numbers in waves versus all at once at the end. Does this mean less people will complain at once o that people will still complain and that will influence the ones not done yet?

I just want the damn thing to be over. It is good they are doing more field work but how can they know what they see in 2013 is the same as it was 1/1/11? More likely they will discover more structures that were built without permits and not on the cards which will lead to higher valuations.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:16 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Yes, and since I am no longer talking to myself I'll let you in on a secret (but don't tell everyone or it will change). They are updating Real Estate Lookup with new values before approved by the BOCC. So, keep an eye on that BUT it's nearly impossible to know WHY a value is changed by looking at that site because apparently they stopped updating the audit trail in 2011 (I'm trying to get an answer on that).
I just looked at mine and I think it changed! About 15% less than the initial reval and just $400 more than the value before the initial reval.

Although hopefully that doesn't mean my appeal was successful and they're just going to change it again (Screen shot taken)...

Old 10-14-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I just looked at mine and I think it changed! About 15% less than the initial reval and just $400 more than the value before the initial reval.

Although hopefully that doesn't mean my appeal was successful and they're just going to change it again (Screen shot taken)...
15% would be a huge drop compared to what I'm seeing. Of course I'm looking wide and I'm still looking. One property fell 12 million or so. That's got to be a relief.

The more houses that are in a hood the easier it is for me to detect them changing but I'm willing to look for anyone that wants. I have looked at the neighborhoods I mentioned and strangely I'm going backwards by percentage change and must of what I'm seeing is very small changes so I've got a long way to go to get to 15. I mean I can see where changes are but they could be due to additions or a reduction due to previous appeal. I'm detecting about 2000 properties between 83% and 87% of original value but I don't know why yet. Frustrating that they are not putting the why online it seems since 2011 unless there's an addition. But if there was an improvement of some kind you'd expect the value to go up not down. I know 2K couldn't be the reduction for the redo because they are reporting only 5500 properties done altogether but by all means congrats!

The neighborhoods I've detected so far are:

LAKE NORMAN A101 908 MYERS PARK III P333 212 BEREWICK T903 164 DRUID HILLS H905 132 FOXCROFT S321 131 PROVIDENCE PLANTATION W732 124 WALKERS CREEK V910 117 ARDREY WOODS W958 102 EASTOVER P530 89

P333 is whose values were approved by the BOCC last Tuesday. They might be stuck on A101 because that's where Bob Deaton's house is and he got a huge break but not his neighbors. There's a YouTube vid now shot by his realtor that shows what they are calling his private beach.

And I have the data as of Friday. So if you lose your screenshot just holla. I might be able to detect what things were like a year ago but I wish they'd just spit it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte