Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,797,580 times

Advertisements

Interesting that I was just reading the NC Constitution to see what it says about taxes. Apparently the issue is you can't make an exception for just one county. You have to do it statewide.

So, will someone sue all the way to the Supreme Court of NC or should we just change the Constitution?

This is going to drag on.

Get it while it's still free:

"Only the General Assembly has the power to “classify property for taxation, which power shall be exercised only on a statewide basis.”[LEFT]
Read more here: Reval redo could be a no-go | CharlotteObserver.com
[/LEFT]

Reval redo could be a no-go | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 AM

3,914 posts, read 5,000,839 times
^This is an opinion from someone at the UNC which is often cited by the media but which has no legal authority in the state. They have been wrong before.

Only the NC Court system can declare a change to the laws it to be unconstitutional. Not the ivory tower at UNC.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,318,950 times
My revaluation wasn't objectionable so I haven't bothered to keep up with this issue. Skimming that article suggests that it is OK to botch an entire county's worth of property valuation, but illegal to fix the problem. Well if it is OK to make mistakes in the county's favor, it should be equally OK to fix those mistakes, promptly.

This is another headshaker example of things being unnecessarily complex and ridiculous. It should be a simple matter of sending out checks that everyone involved knows are appropriate, but it isn't.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
^This is an opinion from someone at the UNC which is often cited by the media but which has no legal authority in the state. They have been wrong before.

Only the NC Court system can declare a change to the laws it to be unconstitutional. Not the ivory tower at UNC.
His opinion is important because the county attorney was directed to consult with the School of Government. The board could have went to NCGA now but chose to "consult" first and SOG is a big part of that consultation. So this isn't just a press opinion.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
His opinion is important because the county attorney was directed to consult with the School of Government. The board could have went to NCGA now but chose to "consult" first and SOG is a big part of that consultation. So this isn't just a press opinion.
The county was also also directed to do a fair and equitable tax revaluation. They failed to do also but Mr. Ivory tower is mysteriously silent on that one. Maybe the county should stick to listening to people who actually have to pay taxes they don't owe.

The article is more pointless parroting by the Charlotte Observer.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
The county was also also directed to do a fair and equitable tax revaluation. They failed to do also but Mr. Ivory tower is mysteriously silent on that one. Maybe the county should stick to listening to people who actually have to pay taxes they don't owe.

The article is more pointless parroting by the Charlotte Observer.
Up next: "N.C. Department of Revenue, N.C. Assessor’s Association, the city of Charlotte and all Mecklenburg towns"

Busy 60 days for the county attorney. Wonder how he gets paid considering he's not a county employee.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
. Wonder how he gets paid considering he's not a county employee.
Who said he wasn't a county employee? No matter there is only one statement in that entire article that matters.
'"It may take a court to decide the issue, he said.
I said this in my first post and I don't get paid anything by the county.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Who said he wasn't a county employee? No matter there is only one statement in that entire article that matters.
'"It may take a court to decide the issue, he said.
I said this in my first post and I don't get paid anything by the county.
I said it. Duh.

As far as the courts there are two ways to get there:

1) A new law passes and it's challenged. This is doubtful because poorer people will be the ones that suffer if the law passes and it requires them to cough up 3 years worth of back billed taxes. Poor people typically can't afford a lawyer.

2) The law doesn't change. Someone still wants to sue. Under what statute or constitutional grounds do they have standing? What about sovereign immunity? How long will that last? 2 years? 3? 5? 7? We'll be in the next reval by then at the rate things are going.

Thank God that one thing seems for certain which is that the values will be "re-worked" so at least those that may be made to write a check won't have to for 10 years worth of billings at the rate this is going.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,875,148 times
I hope things improve because I'm a little tired of paying almost $4500 per year in property taxes for grossly overvalued property.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,533,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I hope things improve because I'm a little tired of paying almost $4500 per year in property taxes for grossly overvalued property.
4500? Thats cute. You should try living in the land of criminal politicians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: