Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:39 AM

21 posts, read 60,231 times

Advertisements

am looking at waxhaw for housing / potential relo from the great white north, any info on how the schools are, how the housing market looks, commute times from waxhaw to charlotte ( would probably be going to carolina med ctr on blythe blvd) what is the current market for an RN with about 10 yrs critical care experience?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Oh and how have the taxes been, have they spun out of control yet??
Thx!!!!

hopefully coming to the warm south!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 11:51 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
We have a lot of medical people in this area because of the straight shoot up Highway 16.
I know that the Waxhaw Elementary has a very active PTO, because I went there once to speak to them. Waxhaw is one of those towns that seems to get better every year. We came five miles East and settled In Mineral Springs.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 PM

157 posts, read 307,363 times
anybody know of the commute time to downtown Charlotte from Waxhaw? We hear lots of good things about this area, just wondering about how bad traffic would be. thanks.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:49 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
We have a lot of medical people in this area because of the straight shoot up Highway 16.
I know that the Waxhaw Elementary has a very active PTO, because I went there once to speak to them. Waxhaw is one of those towns that seems to get better every year. We came five miles East and settled In Mineral Springs.
Do you enjoy Mineral Springs? I find it absolutely charming.

Sara

Old 11-14-2007, 02:05 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletnice View Post
anybody know of the commute time to downtown Charlotte from Waxhaw? We hear lots of good things about this area, just wondering about how bad traffic would be. thanks.
Really depends on where in Waxhaw you are, reckon on min45-1hr

Old 11-14-2007, 02:18 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Do you enjoy Mineral Springs? I find it absolutely charming.

Sara
Thank you Sara, It is good to live in a town with such a good reputation.
We have been here since 1975 and are very happy about our choice to move here. I live between Stonebridge Golf Course and the Queenscup Steeplechase Property. Our neighbors are wonderful. Our town is more of a huge HOA. Our property taxes for this town are about the price of a meal out for the two of us. I am not including the county taxes in that amount.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 PM
NCN

I have been told by neighbors that the traffic can get pretty tense on Highway 16. I believe I heard on the county commission meeting that there are going to be some improvements, because it is needed. I am afraid it probably will get worse before it gets better. I would prefer that to the I-485 or I-77 or I-85 parking lots when an accident happens. There are alternative places to go if something happens on the road.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:19 AM

12 posts, read 40,244 times
Hello, I just joined and moved almost 3 weeks ago from NJ, I am an ER nurse, there are a lot of hospitals in this area! Also unlike NJ if you are licensed in NC you can also work in SC, so that is a benefit as well. My Husband commutes to SW Charlotte and it takes him between 45min-1hr15min depending on traffic and when he leaves. I really like Waxhaw so far, nice people in the shops and around town unfortunately nobody in my neighborhood comes outside I plan on checking out the dog park in Waxhaw this weekend....I have 2 boys, one in 6th grade and one in 9th and they really like their schools (Parkwood middle and Parkwood high). We really researched and apparently Union County schools are among the best. While I miss my friends in Jersey I am looking forward to meeting new ones in this great town!

Old 11-16-2007, 07:03 AM

34 posts, read 110,859 times
Exclamation CMC & Presbyterian Both Great!

Both are great places to work- I have worked at both. I moved from Weddington this summer (husbands job relo) and I can tell you it is beautiful out in Weddington/Waxhaw- but the commute "uptown" (you must use this phrase when referring to the "downtown area- it's a true Charlotte thing) is a bear! Providence Rd. goes all the way from Waxhaw to the CMC area- but it is only a two lane road with many many lights. The problem is getting out of the area to an interstate. Also 485 from I-77 over to Providence Rd. is woefully overcrowded- way too many people ber capita for that section of the interstate. It was the first leg of 485 built many years ago- and it desperately needs to be widened. High corporate growth in the Ballantyne area has added even more congestion. Bottom line- low taxes=no new road construction + a gazillion new housing communities with people from everywhere flooding the existing resources, which unfortunately just cannot keep up with the growth.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coakley View Post
am looking at waxhaw for housing / potential relo from the great white north, any info on how the schools are, how the housing market looks, commute times from waxhaw to charlotte ( would probably be going to carolina med ctr on blythe blvd) what is the current market for an RN with about 10 yrs critical care experience?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Oh and how have the taxes been, have they spun out of control yet??
Thx!!!!

hopefully coming to the warm south!!!
The commute into the hospital area will be pretty brutal during normal drive time. If you don't mind leaving the house around 6:00am or later like 10:00am then it is pretty reasonable. I would avoid I485/I77 though, and use Hwy74. Once you get inside the city to the Indy expressway, its a pretty fast track into uptown.

You might also think about CMC Union (Monroe) or Presbyterian Matthews. Both would be a much closer commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte