Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 05:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,385 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone!

My name is Eric. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if cricket wireless users get good reception down in charlotte. I'm going Saturday to carowinds and would like to take my phone for job purposes. I'm using cricket at the moment and I live in raleigh. I've checked and according to the website there is good coverage... Not sure if its a good option to call a store and ask if their reception is good. Thanks to everyone for the help!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 AM

7,079 posts, read 12,366,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_ncsu View Post
Good morning everyone!

My name is Eric. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if cricket wireless users get good reception down in charlotte. I'm going Saturday to carowinds and would like to take my phone for job purposes. I'm using cricket at the moment and I live in raleigh. I've checked and according to the website there is good coverage... Not sure if its a good option to call a store and ask if their reception is good. Thanks to everyone for the help!!!!!
You'll be fine. In my household, we have 1 Cricket phone and two Sprint phones. The Cricket works just as well as the Sprints (and in some areas of town, the Cricket works better).

http://r.phonedog.com/shared/images/...overage-NC.png

^^^The dark purple is where your Cricket service will be the best. Those are the areas where your calls and data will work the fastest. The lighter purple are not that great, but your phone will still work. If you plan on going into areas outside of the light/dark purple, make sure to call *228 before you leave home. It takes about 3-5 minutes and this will program your phone for the out-of-network areas. I travel quite often with a Cricket, and though the service is not as great as the Verizon phone I previously owned, it's good enough for what you pay. I've gone to Kentucky and Ohio with my Cricket and had service in most places along the way (even in West Virginia). From Raleigh to Charlotte, you'll be fine.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:57 AM

642 posts, read 1,171,947 times
Cricket Mobile is a Sprint pop-up operator. Cricket buys minutes and megabytes wholesale from Sprint and resells them as Cricket Mobile. It's a good solution for both parties.

Sprint gets a guaranteed income at slightly lower profitability and Cricket gets to sell minutes and megabytes without the hassle of owning and maintaining their own network. Customers who do not wish to or are unable to deal with a major operator get service and the whole market gets a new set of deals. Even better any Sprint phone can work on Cricket Mobile so phone makers don't have to make a new set of carrier specific phones although that can if the want. Pop-up operators are also a good place to sell last years (or older) phone models.

All the major operators are dealing with pop-up operators. Here's a list I've published before showing most of the current crop of pop-up carriers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...work_operators.

I am a little surprised to read that a Cricket Mobile phone works better than a Sprint phone when the networks are the same. This could be an artifact of the individual phone. I really don't know exactly why.

In summary, if you like Cricket and wish to use it in a new city or elsewhere, check the national Sprint coverage map http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

Old 08-13-2013, 02:05 PM

27 posts, read 45,328 times
Eric, I've traveled from Waxhaw, Marvin, Weddington, Ballantyne area for years with good service from Cricket. Carowinds is right around the corner so you should be good to go!

Old 08-15-2013, 09:38 AM

7,079 posts, read 12,366,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
I am a little surprised to read that a Cricket Mobile phone works better than a Sprint phone when the networks are the same. This could be an artifact of the individual phone. I really don't know exactly why.
I think it is. I've noticed that some phone models are better with signals while others conserve batteries better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte