Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM

10 posts, read 16,447 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are moving to Charlotte this summer. She is a 4th grade teacher in Maryland with a masters degreee. We are interested in living up by lake Norman or possibly fort mill,sc.

Can anyone who is a teacher please give us some information on how challenging it will be for her to get a job in mechlenberg or York county?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 PM

40 posts, read 122,876 times
As someone who works in CMS -- there's a decent chance, especially if she has experience and good recommendations. There are positions open now, especially in lower-income (Title 1) schools. However, I would suggest that she applies as soon as possible. Less positions will be available if she waits until mid-summer. Here's the current list available: https://ats4.searchsoft.net/ats/job_...NY_ID=00014342

If for some reason she doesn't get a job, subbing regularly (and making it clear that she'd be interested in a position) could help her get her foot in the door.

For what it's worth, I personally would recommend South Carolina over North Carolina. I have known a number of former CMS teachers who have transferred to Fort Mill, and they have been very happy with their decision.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
There are two new charter schools that are opening up too. One is Langtree in the LKN area and the other is Cabarrus Charter Academy. She should also take a look at both schools. I know that Cabarrus Charter (it's on Concord but actually not all that far if she's able to travel down Rte 3 in the mornings)is still hiring for teachers.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 PM

309 posts, read 766,090 times
I also teach in CMS and agree with PJ. There are positions available, but right now is the internal transfer period. Once principals have had a chance to fill jobs from within, they will start looking at external candidates. If she isn't successful finding a position in the next month or so, keep checking back with principals of schools she would like to teach at because sometimes there are last-minute positions that open as school starts again in August.

I would also caution about the teaching environment in NC. There is little respect for teachers here on the state level, and state legislators are the ones who set the rules, salary, etc for all NC districts. Our pay ranks at the bottom of all states, and there is a proposed law in the state legislature to take away extra pay for having a masters degree. This could take effect as early as next school year.

Good luck

Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 PM

Thank you for all of the replies. I have never been on one of these message boards before, which is why my husband posted earlier. I noticed that many of the job listings are for the Central Zone which is near/in the city and not really what I am looking for. I have some experience working at a Title 1 school but it is not something I want to do again at this point.

I was totally shocked to read about the lack of support for teachers and education. I have heard this before but didn't realize it was THAT bad. I have been an elementary school teacher in Howard County (MD) for ten years which is a very reputable school system and ranked as a top district in the state. Education/teachers seem to be valued more overall here. (Although I cannot say the same for Baltimore City and DC public schools.) Teachers are encouraged to continue their education and are even reimbursed for graduate school credits. It is definitely insulting to take away extra pay for having a masters degree! I have a Masters in TESOL and knowing there would be a pay increase got me through it!
Overall what I have read has been a bit discouraging. Being closer to work for my husband who is based in CLT, and being able to afford a single family home is definitely what would be drawing us to the area. I'm nervous about giving up my job and taking a big pay cut (although I know the cost of living is less in the Carolinas.)
My best friend's parents live on Lake Wylie and I have read good things about Fort Mill/York County schools. I think I may apply there first, then to schools around the Lake Norman area. I would be very interested to hear any more opinions or advice. Thank you again. Happy last week of school to you all! We are out 6/14.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,638 times
Remember too that York County has four different school districts. In addition to Fort Mill, there's also York, Clover, and Rock Hill to consider. Lancaster County has its own school district too. The pay is higher in those districts and the districts are all pretty strong. There's also a lot of growth, so jobs will continue to grow. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 AM
cpw

85 posts, read 161,962 times
I taught in MD (Montgomery County) before joining CMS 7 years ago. Be prepared for a shock. The pay and benefits are dramatically lower. No unions, so the work environment is a lot different as well. Be prepared to eat lunch with your students and take them out to recess yourself! It was quite an adjustment fo me. I have since left CMS to teach at a local charter school. Same state pay (actually lower pay because CMS has a significant supplement to the state salary) and benefits, but a different work climate. Most of the openings you will find in CMS will be in an "inner city" school.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:44 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneflying View Post
Thank you for all of the replies. I have never been on one of these message boards before, which is why my husband posted earlier. I noticed that many of the job listings are for the Central Zone which is near/in the city and not really what I am looking for. I have some experience working at a Title 1 school but it is not something I want to do again at this point.

I was totally shocked to read about the lack of support for teachers and education. I have heard this before but didn't realize it was THAT bad. I have been an elementary school teacher in Howard County (MD) for ten years which is a very reputable school system and ranked as a top district in the state. Education/teachers seem to be valued more overall here. (Although I cannot say the same for Baltimore City and DC public schools.) Teachers are encouraged to continue their education and are even reimbursed for graduate school credits. It is definitely insulting to take away extra pay for having a masters degree! I have a Masters in TESOL and knowing there would be a pay increase got me through it!
Overall what I have read has been a bit discouraging. Being closer to work for my husband who is based in CLT, and being able to afford a single family home is definitely what would be drawing us to the area. I'm nervous about giving up my job and taking a big pay cut (although I know the cost of living is less in the Carolinas.)
My best friend's parents live on Lake Wylie and I have read good things about Fort Mill/York County schools. I think I may apply there first, then to schools around the Lake Norman area. I would be very interested to hear any more opinions or advice. Thank you again. Happy last week of school to you all! We are out 6/14.
To piggyback onto what IBrakeforTailgaters has stated, if you go to the Fort Mill School District they have listings of what they are currently hiring for, and you can also view the current pay.

With that said it is rather competitive at the FMSD but that still leaves you with Clover, Rock Hill, York, and then Indian Land (which is part of the Lancaster School District) to check into too.

Good Luck!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the great info!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:26 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
Rowan-Salisbury has laid off a lot of teachers. They've eliminated about 70 positions, with 50 being lay offs. I know teachers with as many as 4-5 years in that were laid off. I'm sure they will all be looking in neighboring counties. Rowan County is a little far out to affect CMS a lot, but it could affect the Lake Norman Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte