Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:31 PM

18 posts, read 30,319 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions and comments on moving to these areas are appreciated. My husband is in IT and I'm an RN. We doubt we'll have a problem finding jobs. We're interested in a 30-45 minute commute at most. We'd like to live in a quiet suburb w/good schools (but only for resale purposes I guess). We'll probably rent for awhile first (to get to know the area where we end up working).

We're in our mid 50s and live a simple life; dining out, going to the beach (lake?) for the day or weekend. So we don't want to live too far west of RTP and would prefer closer to the coast. We know little about areas east of Raleigh-Durham and/or Charlotte from these forums.

Last edited by CCU RN; 04-14-2013 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: want to add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,994,111 times
If you don't want to be too far west of RTP & the coast I wouldn't recommend Charlotte.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,683,623 times
You should know Charlotte is 3 and a half hours from the NC coast, but is only about 2 hours from the mountains if that interests you.

I don't think there's any large lakes in Raleigh compared to Lake Norman in Charlotte, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:05 PM

241 posts, read 304,533 times
If you are set on living near the beach, I would check out Charleston. It has everything, ie. great restauants, cultural activities, beaches, and as much action or quiet as you wish. But, if it is between Raleigh and Charlotte, I would go for Charlotte due to the closeness to the lake and mountains. Keep in mind that there is only one point at the lake where the public can legally swim. Otherwise it is just walking in parks beside the lake or boating. Either is not a bad choice.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 PM

23 posts, read 47,640 times
Dear CCU RN, Have you checked out the Wilmington (NC) area? My husband and I are also from a NY suburb (Westchester Co). and have been trying to figure out where to locate in NC (also looked at Sun City just over the border from Charlotte in SC). We have pretty much narrowed our search to the Raleigh area, Charlotte area or Wilmington. But that 's still a lot of territory to cover and consider. Wilmington is a nice, small city close to the ocean. We almost bought there in a planned community called Brunswick Forest, but we sort of chickened out. It's a little out of the way, we thought (about 100 miles southeast of Rt. 95). But we haven't ruled it out. We like the Charlotte area and being a little further west because I have family in KY. But we are worried we'll miss the coast. I've never lived more than about an hour from the ocean. Not sure if Lake Norman will cut it!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:14 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,683,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decgroup View Post
Dear CCU RN, Have you checked out the Wilmington (NC) area? My husband and I are also from a NY suburb (Westchester Co). and have been trying to figure out where to locate in NC (also looked at Sun City just over the border from Charlotte in SC). We have pretty much narrowed our search to the Raleigh area, Charlotte area or Wilmington. But that 's still a lot of territory to cover and consider. Wilmington is a nice, small city close to the ocean. We almost bought there in a planned community called Brunswick Forest, but we sort of chickened out. It's a little out of the way, we thought (about 100 miles southeast of Rt. 95). But we haven't ruled it out. We like the Charlotte area and being a little further west because I have family in KY. But we are worried we'll miss the coast. I've never lived more than about an hour from the ocean. Not sure if Lake Norman will cut it!
I moved to Charlotte from Florida and I definitely miss being able to practically walk to the beach, but many people from Charlotte drive to the beach every weekend. It's completely normal.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:05 AM

WOW. I live in Rockland and go to the Jersey shore a lot. My in-laws live in a condo in the Pt. Pleasant area and I LOVE the beach. And, yes, I want to live within an hour of the beach; not 2.5 hrs if I live in Raleigh or Charlotte! I figured living an hour west would be a safe harbor from hurricanes. However, Sandy proved me wrong!

I heard there are many New Yorkers living in NC. My cousin has lived in the Charlotte area for many years now and loves it. We are definitely looking forward to lower taxes, warmer winters, and, dare I say it, southern hospitality! Let me know how you progress with your search! Thanks.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 AM

Cool Where Should This NYer Move to in NC?

Thanks everyone for your advice and responses. I do like the ocean, which is why I'm sticking with the eastern seaboard. I'm not one to favor the mountains over the "shore" (as we call it up north). Although mountains are beautiful, I'm more inclined to relax at the beach. I hear Asheville is a great place to live, but too far from the coast.

I spend many days at the Jersey shore (Sandy surely hurt us in many ways, but we'll recover for sure). That said, are there any towns east of RTP and the Raleigh area which are safe, not too rural; perhaps an hour the most commute to RTP?. We may work in that area.

Also, any thoughts about the Wilmington area would also be helpful. Thanks again. This thread is very helpful to this naïve New Yorker!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM

241 posts, read 304,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCU RN View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice and responses. I do like the ocean, which is why I'm sticking with the eastern seaboard. I'm not one to favor the mountains over the "shore" (as we call it up north). Although mountains are beautiful, I'm more inclined to relax at the beach. I hear Asheville is a great place to live, but too far from the coast.

I spend many days at the Jersey shore (Sandy surely hurt us in many ways, but we'll recover for sure). That said, are there any towns east of RTP and the Raleigh area which are safe, not too rural; perhaps an hour the most commute to RTP?. We may work in that area.

Also, any thoughts about the Wilmington area would also be helpful. Thanks again. This thread is very helpful to this naïve New Yorker!
Wilmington is a lovely small city. It has beaches and most ammenities one would want. Personally, it is a bit too small for me and I had an issue with a drug crazed homeless person close to the wharf where the USS North Carolina is docked. This occured around noon. I am suspicious what it would be like at night there since it was next to the area where entertainment and restaurants are mostly found. Nevertheless, it is certainly worth checking out and my experience may be just an unlucky, rare situation. I have heard some good things about Sun City. It is pretty close to South Charlotte. I may be a bit biased, but IMHO Cornelius (at the lake) is by far the best option. By the way, there are two major hospitals within five miles of Cornelius, numerous doctor offices, and assisted living facilities, etc.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 PM

23 posts, read 47,640 times
Default Cornelius

Hello Ragnar,

I read with interest your comment about Cornelius. I am interested in visiting Bailey's Glen, a new and "in the process of being built" 55+ community there. Do you know anything about it?

It's being built by a small developer, which makes my husband nervous. He feels much safer with a large builder like Del Webb/Pulte who built Sun City.

I'd love to know what you love about Cornelius! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte