Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times

Advertisements

Food Lion is closing a store in Belmont. Apparently this is the 1st round of expected closures. It's sort of surprising. That store can't be doing less business than one of their stores in Kings Mountain unless they keep the doors locked all day.

Here's the article on the closure. Lights out at one Gaston County Food Lion - Gaston Gazette Here's an article with information that they reference. New supermarkets in store for Gastonia? - Gaston Gazette

This is just the beginning of this. Who's going to close next & where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,030,954 times
I read an article the other day saying the stores that they were closing this round will all under performing stores.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I read an article the other day saying the stores that they were closing this round will all under performing stores.
Lease expiration might be involved, too, scotsman. I'm telling you, there's a Food Lion that probably does less business in a week than Ingles does in a day, in Kings Mountain. People quit marveling that it was still open about 3 years ago.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,359,862 times
If I'm remembering correctly, that Food Lion didn't even have a deli

Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
If I'm remembering correctly, that Food Lion didn't even have a deli
Still. . .they can't be doing less business than the one in Kings Mountain that's near Ingles. Belmont doesn't have a decent store, unless you count their Aldi.

When I first moved here, before the Dallas Ingles opened, I overheard a couple of conversations in the Ingles where at least one of the people was from Belmont.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,030,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Lease expiration might be involved, too, scotsman. I'm telling you, there's a Food Lion that probably does less business in a week than Ingles does in a day, in Kings Mountain. People quit marveling that it was still open about 3 years ago.
That would make sense as well, sometimes the supermarkets get stuck with some pretty hefty lease agreements, the landlords then do not seem to understand why then then do not renew.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
That would make sense as well, sometimes the supermarkets get stuck with some pretty hefty lease agreements, the landlords then do not seem to understand why then then do not renew.
There's been a lot of speculation about how the entry of Publix in the area will change things. I think that this is the 1st of many.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,312,988 times
Publix's advancement into the Charlotte region will alter the supermarket competition. Lowe's Foods was the first to go. Food Lion, regardless being based out of the region, and Bi-Lo will be the next to go. Ingle's has not added enough stores in the Charlote region to be a major player yet. Harris Teeter will remain dominant and likely Publix's major competitor.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,810,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix's advancement into the Charlotte region will alter the supermarket competition. Lowe's Foods was the first to go. Food Lion, regardless being based out of the region, and Bi-Lo will be the next to go. Ingle's has not added enough stores in the Charlote region to be a major player yet. Harris Teeter will remain dominant and likely Publix's major competitor.
The only reason Food Lion would ever leave would be because of the actions of Wal-Mart - not Harris Teeter or Publix.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
The only reason Food Lion would ever leave would be because of the actions of Wal-Mart - not Harris Teeter or Publix.
Ingles goes after Food Lion directly & wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte