Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:40 PM

5 posts, read 13,344 times

Advertisements

hi,

We are considering a move to Waxhaw and would love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. What's it like to grow up there, things to do and see, restaurants to try, and schools, etc.

Anything and Everything!

Thanks, in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 03:56 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
You might want to post in the Charlotte forum.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
I'm certain you've already done thorough Internet research on your own, but:

Here is the City-Data page on Waxhaw.

Here is the Wikipedia page

Here is Waxhaw's own home page.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
Waxhaw is kind of in the middle of nothing. There are the usual shopping places, but, nothing very exciting unless you like ~million dollar homes, trees, farmland & hills....

Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 AM

430 posts, read 804,092 times
If you are coming from a big city, it's boring, but it's a fantastic place to raise children. Great schools, everything geared towards families in the area. One thing I like as someone who moved here from out of state is that there are enough others from other places so plenty of people are looking for friends and people to have play dates with, etc. Not a closed up area like other places I have lived. The houses are relatively inexpensive too. Overall good schools too.

Not sure if you are male or female, but either you or your wife should check out UnionCountyMommies.com if you have kids. I made all my friends through it when I first moved here. Great way to get to know others online before you move as well as ask questions about pediatricians, etc.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:03 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,358 times
Its a nice place to live AS LONG AS YOU DONT PLAN ON COMING INTO CHARLOTTE EVERY DAY...

Old 12-29-2012, 05:42 PM

309 posts, read 765,843 times
It depends on from where you are coming and what your expectations are. If you post more info about the kind of circumstances you are looking for, people can give you more specific advice.

We moved here 3 years ago from NY and are very happy. Waxhaw, and the surrounding area, is great for families. The schools are tops in the area. There is a variety of housing for different budgets. Laura was absolutely correct saying that there are enough people from all over that they are pretty open to making friends and meeting new people.

As for commuting into Charlotte, it depends where in the city you are going.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:51 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,284 times
I live in Waxhaw and GO INTO CHARLOTTE everyday. The commute isn't for everyone but is doable. We moved here two years ago and LOVE it. We come from a big city and although its a change of pace, it was a nice one and I can honesty say it was the best decision we've made for our family.
There is shopping like groceries, major convenience stores nearby(target, cvs), but what I like best is what's available for kids. 3 dance studios nearby, tae Kwon do, karate, parks with beaches and playgrounds. It has a country feel mixed with suburbia depending where in Waxhaw you are.

Do your research well before you move. Waxhaw isn't for everyone but for those that love it, there is no comparison.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,358 times
Being in traffic on highway 16 at a crawl speed uses lots and lots of gas...............lots of it. Its not free even though your time may be. I would go there on a monday morning around 7am and then "try" to drive into charlotte and see what you will deal with. I did and quickly ruled out an every day drive.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:35 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Highway 16 is not the only way to get to Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte