Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,981,409 times

Advertisements

Some restaurant workers could see hours cut as employers weigh... | www.wsoctv.com

Something to consider depending upon your job. You may wish to prepare for the scenario in the coming months.

(this stuff doesn't come free)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 04:35 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,774,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Some restaurant workers could see hours cut as employers weigh... | www.wsoctv.com

Something to consider depending upon your job. You may wish to prepare for the scenario in the coming months.

Thanks for posting. I was trying to find this after watching the news.

I wonder how much per cover would have to be added to provide coverage?

Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 PM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times
Yet another example of why HI (of any sort) should have NOTHING to do with employment.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,981,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I wonder how much per cover would have to be added to provide coverage?
I can't speak for a company with 50+ employees, but I'm involved with a small company here in the Charlotte area that does provide group hospitalization as a benefit. It ranges, from ~$425 - $750/month per employee depending upon age and sex. These jobs pay in the 6 figures so this kind of cost can be absorbed. However on the lower pay scales I can see where these kinds of numbers wouldn't be possible. Some companies would either have to fire employees to compensate, or cut pay, or cut hours, or some combination.

As noted in the article, if hours are cut to part time, <30, then the requirement doesn't apply.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,774,300 times
Quote:
I can't speak for a company with 50+ employees, but I'm involved with a small company here in the Charlotte area that does provide group hospitalization as a benefit. It ranges, from ~$425 - $750/month per employee depending upon age and sex. These jobs pay in the 6 figures so this kind of cost can be absorbed. However on the lower pay scales I can see where these kinds of numbers wouldn't be possible. Some companies would either have to fire employees to compensate, or cut pay, or cut hours, or some combination.

As noted in the article, if hours are cut to part time, <30, then the requirement doesn't apply.
I don't like unfunded mandates but if you're going to have one don't have a loophole so big that it hurts this large number of people.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 AM

821 posts, read 1,857,722 times
Are people registering the fact that the big unions got exemptions/waivers from the Affordable Healthcare Act, a.k.a. ObomaCare? How many people will lose their jobs or have their hours cut because of this senseless piece of legislation that NO member of Congress read before voting on it...and have yet to read it, I suspect.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,027,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Are people registering the fact that the big unions got exemptions/waivers from the Affordable Healthcare Act, a.k.a. ObomaCare? How many people will lose their jobs or have their hours cut because of this senseless piece of legislation that NO member of Congress read before voting on it...and have yet to read it, I suspect.
Stop making stuff up or repeating made up stuff. The union stuff is untrue. And ALL exemptions phase out in 2014.

"Even if you took the broadest definition possible, counting all the joint plans as union plans, only 25 percent of the waivers have gone to unions. To be clear, though, the waivers do not exempt these groups from the health care law. They only allow them to continue offering their current health plans with annual limits until 2014"

PolitiFact | Unions don't have to comply with Obamacare, says Crossroads GPS

Last edited by coped; 12-18-2012 at 11:33 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,288,119 times
Quote:

The head scratcher for me is why in the hell would anyone work fulltime with no health insurance? Would you? Of course the restaurant biz is a different animal and that the law will evolve to accomodate.

However if anyone waiting tables at 30+ years old and not savvy enough to purchase health insurance basically becomes a burden on the system and quite frankly should seek employment elsewhere. I had a conversation with someone totally opposed to Obamacare. Of course they named a friend who was 35+ years old (waiting tables) with no health insurance who recently had a heart problem and ended up with over 100+ thousand dollars of unpaid hospital bills...and still needs treatment. Obamacare might not be perfect, but to me it's a step in the right direction...the system cannot simply sustain millions of dollars of unpaid/"free" care.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:24 PM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
...why in the hell would anyone work fulltime with no health insurance?
Because with rather few exceptions... employers don't offer any HI anymore.
And even when they do... it's full of gotcha's.

From the other end of things... almost all young people and most of everyone else under 60
don't have a health issue of any significance nor are they likely to develop one anytime soon.
Certainly nothing that requires more to deal with than what a policy will cost.

In my own case (I've recently done some calcs)...
I've spent about 10X as much on dental care in thirty years than medical care.
And with the exception of an auto and two work related incidents... no ER visits or hospitalization at all.

Quote:
...they named a friend who was 35+ years old (waiting tables) with no health insurance
who recently had a heart problem and ended up with over 100+ thousand dollars of unpaid
hospital bills... and still needs treatment.
Yes there are still the exceptions to the general rule.
Something should be done about that someday.

Quote:
Obamacare might not be perfect, but to me it's a step in the right direction...
the system cannot simply sustain millions of dollars of unpaid/"free" care.
I hope that proves to be true.
From here though.... most of what I see is a payoff to the HI companies.

Last edited by MrRational; 12-19-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 01:24 PM

2,781 posts, read 5,178,949 times
No surprise, some CEO's sent letters to their employes before election to prepare them.
I know many small businesses who no longer plan to hire, due to expected extra costs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: