Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 14,222 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to the Charlotte area and already know we want to live in a small town. What is the best small town outside of Charlotte? Little town would be population 30,000 or less.. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 05:35 PM

34 posts, read 100,533 times
I live in Mooresville, thats Iredell county. It is much cheaper to live there than Charlotte, which is Mecklenburg county.. Mooresville is about 20 miles north of Charlotte, so its still easy to commute to a job in Charlotte, just cheaper to live in Iredell. Crime, school, shopping,rents and real estate very good. Check it out

Old 10-14-2007, 07:06 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,915,286 times
Default Best little towns

If I were choosing a small town outside of Charlotte, I have no doubt that it would be Davidson as my first choice and Belmont as my second. Davidson, north of Charlotte, has certain advantages for me: Davidson College, proximity to Lake Norman. good schools, a charming "downtown," lovely (but expensive), homes, proximity to good shopping and a generally educated population. The big disadvantages of Davidson are the bad commute on I-77 and the high cost of housing.

Belmont, south of Charlotte is a charming looking town, but I know nothing about the schools, cost of housing, shopping or the commute to Charlotte. It does have Belmont Abbey College, which seems to get better each year, nearby, but I don't know anything about the interaction between the town and the college. In fact, I know very little about the town except for how much I like the looks of some of the houses and the main street which I travel on my frequent trips to the nearby Stowe Botanical Gardens - certainly a plus for the town. I'd certainly look into it if I were you. Good luck in your search. I would have loved to have had my kids grow up in one of these towns.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:23 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,914,223 times
I love Belmont (west of Charlotte). Lived there in the 90's and loved it. Beautiful town, clean/green, close to everything, good schools, safe, great drive into Charlotte, growing at a very reasonable pace, and relatively affordable. There are some great towns in the Charlotte area, but, IMO, Belmont tops the list. It's a real hidden gem!

Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,243,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
If I were choosing a small town outside of Charlotte, I have no doubt that it would be Davidson as my first choice and Belmont as my second. Davidson, north of Charlotte, has certain advantages for me: Davidson College, proximity to Lake Norman. good schools, a charming "downtown," lovely (but expensive), homes, proximity to good shopping and a generally educated population. The big disadvantages of Davidson are the bad commute on I-77 and the high cost of housing.

I live in Davidson now (renting.) Davidson is a nice little (very little) town. However, it's way too small for us. The real estate here is insanely expensive. A Davidson address seems to carry a 50% price premium over Huntersville in some instances! I don't understand the price premium on houses in Davidson. The downtown is VERY small. It's only a few blocks long. Until the new Harris Teeter opens (near I-77) you can't even get groceries in Davidson! If you like ultra-expensive, ultra-small towns, then Davidson might be for you!

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-14-2007 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: links to competing sites not permitted

Old 10-14-2007, 10:34 PM

153 posts, read 478,464 times
My vote would be for Denver, NC.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post

Belmont, south of Charlotte is a charming looking town, but I know nothing about the schools, cost of housing, shopping or the commute to Charlotte. It does have Belmont Abbey College, which seems to get better each year, nearby, but I don't know anything about the interaction between the town and the college. In fact, I know very little about the town except for how much I like the looks of some of the houses and the main street which I travel on my frequent trips to the nearby Stowe Botanical Gardens - certainly a plus for the town. I'd certainly look into it if I were you. Good luck in your search. I would have loved to have had my kids grow up in one of these towns.

I have to say, I totally agree with this - Belmont or Davidson, either would get my vote as the top small town. Though frankly, 30,000 people is a small CITY, not a small town, lol. I think of a small town as 5000 people or so myself

Old 10-15-2007, 01:12 AM

237 posts, read 299,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
I love Belmont (west of Charlotte). Lived there in the 90's and loved it. Beautiful town, clean/green, close to everything, good schools, safe, great drive into Charlotte, growing at a very reasonable pace, and relatively affordable. There are some great towns in the Charlotte area, but, IMO, Belmont tops the list. It's a real hidden gem!
I like Belmont, and i would add to that list, the 3 or 4 other small towns around: Mt Holly, Lowell, Mcadenville, not too familiar with Cramerton, or Dallas,but maybe look into it.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:40 AM

3 posts, read 14,222 times
Default thank you!

Thank you all for the posts, keep them coming. They are all great to read and is giving me a lot of information to research with is so very helpful. Beau

Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,670,728 times
Harrisburg, in Cabarrus County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte