Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,916,858 times

Advertisements

Denver and Cowan's Ford are sometimes confused. Denver is a few miles on highway #16 north of highway #73. For practical purposes, people consider both paces as Denver. I live in Cornelius and shop in Denver (Cowan's Ford) because in the same general area there is Walmart, Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Lowes, many restaurants and bars, and great ammenitie that have sprung up over the past few years. Develoment has been gradual, but I have seen lots of interest from newcomers due to the proximity to Charlotte and what the city has to offer. The growth has not been as rapid as that in other areas of the country. You can bet that when the recession is over, it will boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 01:20 PM

35 posts, read 127,746 times
Barbaranj, Just thought I would give my personal overall impressions of the area.-We bought a lakefront lot in Denver last year and are about to build on it. We were just visiting Denver a few weeks ago from california and really got a chance to drive in all directions from Denver. We like it a lot, and found a cool little shortcut to the Mooresville ( shortcut is Slanting bridge road to 150) - 15 minutes to Mooresville- where there is a ton of new shopping that has been put in it appears just in the last year. For minor grocery shopping or Banking etc you will find things pretty convenient I heard schools are very good.One really good thing about Denver is the low propety taxes(.67 cents for every one hundred dollars) I included a link below that compares all of the diffent tax rates in the various counties. Just put a tax value in at the top and you can see everything at a glance .For me the low taxes mean that much more house I can afford.Our lot is about 1/2 acre-unsure on avail./size of other lots . I sometimes go on carolinahomes.com ? I believe- to check things out. Welcome to Carolina Select Realty, Realtor Charlotte, Charlotte NC MLS

Old 09-08-2009, 01:42 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,233,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Denver and Cowan's Ford are sometimes confused. ..
Indeed. Cowan's Ford is simply the name for the Catawba river crossing that was there before they built Lake Norman. It would not apply to the intersection of Hwy 16/Hwy 73 which is 3 miles from there. The nearby country club is relatively new in comparison. This area does not have an official name though I have heard it referred to as Pilot Knob and Hagar's Ferry and Westport. In the 80's when they were selling out the lake front property there, the agents often referred to it as Westport.

This is why most simply refer to it as Denver.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,638,579 times
according to the dot sign and google Wallyworld it's Lowesville
shop any of the shops in that area they will say Denver

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-08-2009 at 02:25 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 02:23 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,233,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
according to the dot sign and google Wallyworld is it's Lowesville
I completely missed that one. I have heard that one too. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:43 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,096,783 times
When my daughter was a baby, there was nothing but a caution light at 16/73...and woods...she's 19 now.
I'd say it has grown...alot. And it will continue to grow....especially the more the new 16 nears completion.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:09 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,791,431 times
There are 2 bagel shops in Denver that serve pork roll/taylor ham. I'd say that's growth

Old 09-08-2009, 04:26 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,052,959 times
Google maps is not always your friend in these situations... How far does Denver extend - where is the town "proper"? I see it listed as "Denver" North of Verdict Ridge golf course on 16 - yet, references here seem to put it actually South of that course and closer to 73... which google maps begins to call Lowesville.

Where is Denver?

Old 09-08-2009, 05:22 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,096,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Google maps is not always your friend in these situations... How far does Denver extend - where is the town "proper"? I see it listed as "Denver" North of Verdict Ridge golf course on 16 - yet, references here seem to put it actually South of that course and closer to 73... which google maps begins to call Lowesville.

Where is Denver?
I believe they call Denver the area where 16 and Campground Rd. meet....they do need an official "downtown" area...that's for sure.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 PM

59 posts, read 138,584 times
I believe they will build a downtown area for Denver within the next 7 years..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte