Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:30 PM

7 posts, read 11,456 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Charlotte area and are considering Cuthbertson, Weddington, or Indian Land in SC. Possibly Huntersville but I haven't done too much research on it because the schools don't look as good. We want a family friendly area that is not ultra crazy competitive but still a good school. I understand competitiveness is healthy when kept under control but in my last neighborhood/school it was taken too far and put too many pressures on the children. My daughter will be in 7th grade and my son will be in 5th grade. My daughter will be trying out the for cheer team in middle school. I will be a stay at home mom and we will be looking into neighborhoods that have community pools with prize ranges between 400 - 500K. Our biggest criteria are 1. Good schools 2. Sports teams that aren't ultra competitive but still focus on skill development 3. Neighborhoods that are welcoming where there are other stay at home moms and activities (bunkos, block parties, play groups, maybe poker for the guys).

Any suggestions for schools or neighborhoods? My husband just wants to be 30ish minutes from the airport. Cuthbertson seems great but we are having trouble finding a neighborhood we like. Weddington seems to have a lot of neighborhoods that look promising but we are wondering if it is too much like our last residence. Indian Lakes has some great planned communities but we are wondering about the south carolina school districts in comparison the north carolina.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 01:55 PM

430 posts, read 805,088 times
I'm in Union County, so I'm partial to Weddington and Cuthbertson. I know nothing about your other options, so I won't comment on them at all. Both are great schools, but I'd think Cuthbertson would be a bit less competitive overall between the two. It is newer (I think this will be its 3rd year open). But there is definitely competition for everything. I know middle school cheerleading at Cuthbertson has a lot of competition for those spots.

I'm zoned for Cuthbertson where I live, and there are plenty of houses in your price range for both this school and Weddington.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:03 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,173,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conc22 View Post
We are moving to the Charlotte area and are considering Cuthbertson, Weddington, or Indian Land in SC. Possibly Huntersville but I haven't done too much research on it because the schools don't look as good. We want a family friendly area that is not ultra crazy competitive but still a good school. I understand competitiveness is healthy when kept under control but in my last neighborhood/school it was taken too far and put too many pressures on the children. My daughter will be in 7th grade and my son will be in 5th grade. My daughter will be trying out the for cheer team in middle school. I will be a stay at home mom and we will be looking into neighborhoods that have community pools with prize ranges between 400 - 500K. Our biggest criteria are 1. Good schools 2. Sports teams that aren't ultra competitive but still focus on skill development 3. Neighborhoods that are welcoming where there are other stay at home moms and activities (bunkos, block parties, play groups, maybe poker for the guys).

Any suggestions for schools or neighborhoods? My husband just wants to be 30ish minutes from the airport. Cuthbertson seems great but we are having trouble finding a neighborhood we like. Weddington seems to have a lot of neighborhoods that look promising but we are wondering if it is too much like our last residence. Indian Lakes has some great planned communities but we are wondering about the south carolina school districts in comparison the north carolina.

Thanks
If you keep "competitiveness under control" you have decent schools, not great schools...
Union County Schools are competitive, I see nothing wrong with it, my kids and friends kids love it here.
Marvin schools are also among the 3 best Union County schools.

Advantage of UC location is "in-state" fees for college years if students to UNC later on.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:24 PM

335 posts, read 700,216 times
Ultra competitve? As in hiring private coaches for elementary school kids? I know several families at W.E.S. that do this. When I first moved here, my initial reaction was: what is wrong with you people? After being here for a while, my reaction is now: what is wrong with you people?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 11,456 times
That's exactly what I mean! LOL. That's exactly how my old school district was. I'm assuming by your comment you feel like the Weddington area is that way? My kids are in advanced classes and do okay in sports but I feel having them get private coaches just to make a middle school team is over the top. At the end of the day kids just want to be kids and feel accepted and have fun.

Can any Cuthbertson families suggest any neighborhoods?

Thanks again.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:29 PM

104 posts, read 309,503 times
I would research Davidson as well. The latest results for their HS are excellent.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:31 PM

104 posts, read 309,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
Ultra competitve? As in hiring private coaches for elementary school kids? I know several families at W.E.S. that do this. When I first moved here, my initial reaction was: what is wrong with you people? After being here for a while, my reaction is now: what is wrong with you people?
I love this quote. I feel the same way about families that have hired tutors for thir kids who have not yet gone to kindergarten.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:42 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,173,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conc22 View Post
That's exactly what I mean! LOL. That's exactly how my old school district was. I'm assuming by your comment you feel like the Weddington area is that way? My kids are in advanced classes and do okay in sports but I feel having them get private coaches just to make a middle school team is over the top. At the end of the day kids just want to be kids and feel accepted and have fun.

Can any Cuthbertson families suggest any neighborhoods?

Thanks again.
My kids are not in the school sports teams and I feel there is no need to push them into it. Schools main purpose is for academic reasons not sports. Sure they practice sports as fun and healthy energy burning, not to ever be competitive in sports.

Healthy competition I'm talking about is strictly academic, and only to help guide them be the best they can, nothing more. As parents we all have to realize that intellect and work ethic will have a limit on any kids academic success. Sports are just for fun.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,738,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
My kids are not in the school sports teams and I feel there is no need to push them into it. Schools main purpose is for academic reasons not sports. Sure they practice sports as fun and healthy energy burning, not to ever be competitive in sports.

Healthy competition I'm talking about is strictly academic, and only to help guide them be the best they can, nothing more. As parents we all have to realize that intellect and work ethic will have a limit on any kids academic success. Sports are just for fun.
Ive played competitive sports through college and I disagree with you about sports being just for fun. You can excel aacademically and in sports....

Competition in sports is extremely healthy to me.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:43 PM

810 posts, read 2,293,962 times
Cuthbertson and Weddington are great schools. I know several parents who have hired private coaches in both school districts for 5th grade football and middle school football. As well as girls sports. Whatever district you decide upon try to come in with the attitude of "not keeping up the Jones."
Several of Cuthbertson neighborhoods used to feed into Weddington schools. Both schools are just a few miles apart. Cuthbertson has only been open for about 3 years. With your price point you will be able to find a great community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte