Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

College kids moving to Charlotte, seeking information on nearby community colleges, night life spots, nearby bars, public transportation, uptown areas

Old 09-25-2006, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,376 times

Advertisements

A friend and I are looking into moving to charlotte but need some advice.

1. We are looking for community colleges to attend.
2. We are looking for a strong night life while going to college and wondering where would be the best place to live in the city that has good trasportation to a close community college and the uptown areas where the are many bars ect.

Need a good location for all of this if you can help please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 03:37 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuroc15 View Post
A friend and I are looking into moving to charlotte but need some advice.

1. We are looking for community colleges to attend.
2. We are looking for a strong night life while going to college and wondering where would be the best place to live in the city that has good trasportation to a close community college and the uptown areas where the are many bars ect.

Need a good location for all of this if you can help please help

Okay wuroc, I'll tell you what I know... The only community college in Charlotte is Central Piedmont Community College. It's main campus is right uptown and is nice. It offers many types of associate degrees and certification programs and is quite a deal, in my opinion, compared to university tuition.

It is part of the University of North Carolina system so any credit you earn can be transferred over to UNCC (University of NC at Charlotte) if you decide you want to get a four year degree later. In fact, many high school kids graduate here and start at CPCC to get all their basic freshman courses then transfer to the university to continue on their four year program. You can save A LOT of money in the first two years of college doing it that way.

CPCC is VERY popular in this city and has many satellite branches around town to help more people be able to take courses. There is no student housing so you would need to find your own apartment or small house to rent. Expect to pay a minimum of $650 a month or you will be in unsafe areas. Even that amount of money is not going to get you the best security, but if you are guys you should be okay.

If you live close to uptown you will be close to the campus and the bar scene at night you are looking for. However, this is a white collar uptown area and not the typical college type town so expect it to be different than a college environment. You could easily get around on bike or by bus living and going to school down there. If you are seriously considering doing this soon pm me and I will give you street names of places to look for rentals and which street areas to avoid okay?

Old 09-25-2006, 04:15 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,840,791 times
Well for the young crowd the University Area would be prime.I am sure there would be many private parties. Also there are a few good bars in that area. Just a short shot to downtown too.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:37 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,552,020 times
Well I've thought for a long time, this area is a GREAT area for someone just starting out (so to speak) to actually own property. CPCC as was mentioned has a great number of off-campus locations. I was thinking of taking a class or two myself for the heck of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte