Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times

Advertisements

When I moved here, we bought immediately and I regretted it. Please think about the option of renting for a short term, that way you will have a little more than a month to decide where to be permanently. I wished I had done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:58 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I have no problem encouraging someone to buy.

My point is there is no amount of internet searching that can substitute living in an area to see how its like. Now more than ever we hear it on this board about how people if they had to do it over again, they would've taken their time and rent first before they jump in the deep end of the pool.

Its just like the same situation as someone "vacationing" in an area for a week and thinking its a great area to live permanantly....2 totally different scenerios.....

The OP can do whatever she wants, and I get the point about the young kids and how disruption hurts (which its already being done by them moving now.) But you are talking about a move here that will last probably 10-15 years plus....what is more important, a little more transistion upfront w/a long lasting satisfaction, or rushing into something that has a good chance of not being the "right" place...?

The good thing is the oldest is 8 and can easily transition finding friends...once you get up to middle and high school it gets MUCH harder IMO.

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to give perspective to the OP to sit back and breathe a little here and think this through! If she buys and it works out, great! If not, well, there were other options.....and be careful w/realtors because like I said w/the commission deal, advising renting is much less profitable for realtors....
Jack, I know south.charlotte&union personally. You misread her. Besides, the OP doesn't want to rent.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:24 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Jack, I know south.charlotte&union personally. You misread her. Besides, the OP doesn't want to rent.
I understand that, and i didnt mean to accuse her personally. The point i was making was a big one and to understand the fee structure and how its taylored in the business to sell rather than to recommend to rent. As many posters have said on here is to possibly take a step back and analyze all options because its obvious the OP is extremely rushing.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:13 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I understand that, and i didnt mean to accuse her personally. The point i was making was a big one and to understand the fee structure and how its taylored in the business to sell rather than to recommend to rent. As many posters have said on here is to possibly take a step back and analyze all options because its obvious the OP is extremely rushing.
OK, I understand & it's a good point. I took it that you thought that she was doing that.

I usually don't get involved with these threads other than to read them for knowledge, I did ask a couple of questions, based on being a native of MI, that I thought would help others to steer the OP.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:20 PM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
We bought too and we have not regretted it, if you know what you want it can work.

It is odd to me how the school boundaries are set up here why bus to Cuthbertson if you live right across from Weddington. Obviously it was not an unbiased committee.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
To put a bit of perspective on the commutes.....I actually live in Indian Land (on 521 between FM and Waxhaw) and I can tell you that you do not want to make the commute from Indian Trail. I used to work in Indian Trail and it took me a minimum of 40 minutes to do the commute, and remember it is another 15-20 minutes to FM from me. And that was doing back roads that avoided all the ridiculous congestion on 485 and in Ballantyne. Even Waxhaw would be a bit of a hike, depending on where your husband's job is located. 485 is just horrendous during both rush hours, as is all the other major roads that he might have to take (Providence, Rea, etc.) There is really no easy way to make that commute without hitting horrible traffic, or having to take back roads which have their own issues.

I would probably have to agree with the Gold Hill area just because it would be much closer to your DH work, plus that far end of 160 is really becoming built up with all kinds of shopping. Also it is very easy to come back 160 (or Doby's Bridge Road) to get back to 521 where there is a lot of building going on. And very easy access to 77 from the Gold Hill area as well.

I can surely understand both sides of the rental/buying debate and see both sides of it, but having dealt with 6 different RE agents over the past 5 years both selling and buying, one of them being SC&U, I can assure you that she is the most up front and honest one that I have found! I would trust her experiences and opinions on all things RE. Not to trivialize the opinion of CJack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte