Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times

Advertisements

Among neighbourhoods around Charlotte that must be mentioned under "money not an issue", there is one that I don't read much about it here: Aero Plantation in Weddington.
Aero Plantation Home Page & Forums :: Weddington, NC

Hard to beat a place that besides garages has hangars with its own airstrip and a place where residents could use their personal planes to go to work daily.

Quote:
Aero Plantation, "A Place Of Acres", is an area of beauty for the tranquil, peaceful living of its residents. A specifically planned community, it covers 385 acres of land and 38 acres of lakes. Lots of a minimum of two acres range from open meadow to hardwood forest, lakefront or runway front to seclusion. The natural beauty of the community is enhanced by the preservation of 90 acres of common properties including six miles of paved roads, two large lakes, tennis courts, a basketball court, several golfholes and additional adjoining land. In addition, residents enjoy the use of the 2400 foot paved , lighted aircraft runway(radio activated) and hanger as well. Small aircraft have the right-of way along roads.

Aero Plantation has been declared a sanctuary for wildlife. Many species of birds, animals and fish live in the lakes, meadows and forests. Residents may own one horse per 2 acres of pasture and may ride their horses along the road shoulders. Resident fishermen enjoy fishing from the shore or using small, unpowered or troll powered boats on the lakes...
About Aero Plantation :: Aero Plantation Home Page & Forums :: Weddington, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 PM

55 posts, read 161,496 times
Default Western Union county without niceties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I My spouse, who grew up in Charleston, once lived in western Union county and to be polite about it, would not contemplate living there again..
So, if you were not to be polite about it, what would you say?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Among neighbourhoods around Charlotte that must be mentioned under "money not an issue", there is one that I don't read much about it here: Aero Plantation in Weddington.
Aero Plantation Home Page & Forums :: Weddington, NC

Hard to beat a place that besides garages has hangars with its own airstrip and a place where residents could use their personal planes to go to work daily.

About Aero Plantation :: Aero Plantation Home Page & Forums :: Weddington, NC
Meh... between the aircraft overhead, septic tanks, well water, and having to look for the kids in the woods every day, might be a bit too special.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 PM

Default Firethorne vs. Marvin Creek

So can someone compare and contrast these two communities for me, good parts and bad? Is one closer to any fun stuff than the other? Friendlier? Does either have "internal" amenities like a coffee shop, dining, playground, organized social functions, kids activities, etc.? Thanks as always.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM

37 posts, read 56,422 times
I've come into this pretty late, but here's my two cents as someone who just moved here a couple of months ago and has a son in Myers Park High School...

I completely understand your desire for 'walkability', and if money had truly been no object, we would be living in Dilworth. You can get to pretty much anything you would want - coffee shop, restaurants, shopping, whatever - without getting into a car. The lots tend to be smaller, but you can figure that out from listings and there are occasionally listings with larger lots. Myers Park itself has much larger, stately homes and lots, and would be similarly walkable, although Dilworth has much more of a 'renewed urban' feel, with higher density and something going on all the time.

Although we don't know a huge number of families here yet, my son is on the soccer team at MPHS, and I can say with a lot of confidence that there are plenty of families who could easily afford private schools who nevertheless send their kids to MPHS. I consider that a big thumbs up in terms of confidence that their kids are getting a valuable education there. There is a lot of participation in the PTO, and a lot of community pride in the school. So far, so good, as far as we can tell.

One thing we considered is the outlook for future growth. The traffic in the southern part of the city is already pretty horrendous during rush hours, and there is still a LOT of construction going on, so it will only get worse. The already developed parts of the city, like Dilworth and Myers Park, don't have much open space to develop, so the traffic will not change quite as much in the future, other than areas where commuters go through on their way from the suburbs!

I can't really speak for the other communities that have been mentioned, since we are newbies ourselves, but thought it might help for you to hear a bit about the experience of another newcomer.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2012, 02:28 AM

17 posts, read 31,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermama View Post
I've come into this pretty late, but here's my two cents as someone who just moved here a couple of months ago and has a son in Myers Park High School...

I completely understand your desire for 'walkability', and if money had truly been no object, we would be living in Dilworth. You can get to pretty much anything you would want - coffee shop, restaurants, shopping, whatever - without getting into a car. The lots tend to be smaller, but you can figure that out from listings and there are occasionally listings with larger lots. Myers Park itself has much larger, stately homes and lots, and would be similarly walkable, although Dilworth has much more of a 'renewed urban' feel, with higher density and something going on all the time.

Although we don't know a huge number of families here yet, my son is on the soccer team at MPHS, and I can say with a lot of confidence that there are plenty of families who could easily afford private schools who nevertheless send their kids to MPHS. I consider that a big thumbs up in terms of confidence that their kids are getting a valuable education there. There is a lot of participation in the PTO, and a lot of community pride in the school. So far, so good, as far as we can tell.

One thing we considered is the outlook for future growth. The traffic in the southern part of the city is already pretty horrendous during rush hours, and there is still a LOT of construction going on, so it will only get worse. The already developed parts of the city, like Dilworth and Myers Park, don't have much open space to develop, so the traffic will not change quite as much in the future, other than areas where commuters go through on their way from the suburbs!

I can't really speak for the other communities that have been mentioned, since we are newbies ourselves, but thought it might help for you to hear a bit about the experience of another newcomer.

Good luck!
soccermama,
are you still living in the area you posted about? after 2 years (according to your post) It would be interesting to know for a soccer mom of 2 pre-teen girls looking to move to the area of Charlotte.
Thank you for any input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte