Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:54 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,202,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I know that you usually disagree with me, but I think that I know exactly what you mean. Where are the businesses & industry? You can't keep taxes down without businesses, industry of some type, & retail.
Precisely.

It's all good now, but it can't continue at its current projection. I know there has been some serious wrangling about tax revenues already.

Residential land uses, at a certain scale, simply CAN NOT fund roads, utilities and schools. There's not much room for debate on that...

And to area code reply: i never said Marvin was "bad". In fact, I believe I acknowledged the fact that it is a nice community. It's just too far from the good stuff for my taste, and I loathe the suburban sprawl that the community represents! Also, if money is no object the OP can do much, much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 12:22 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,173,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Precisely.

It's all good now, but it can't continue at its current projection. I know there has been some serious wrangling about tax revenues already.

Residential land uses, at a certain scale, simply CAN NOT fund roads, utilities and schools. There's not much room for debate on that...

And to area code reply: i never said Marvin was "bad". In fact, I believe I acknowledged the fact that it is a nice community. It's just too far from the good stuff for my taste, and I loathe the suburban sprawl that the community represents! Also, if money is no object the OP can do much, much better.
Much, much better from your point of view...

Because in Marvin, for many families money is no object (families with highest income in NC and #38 in the USA) and they obviously disagree with you.

U.S. cities ranked by household incomes over $100,000 - The Business Journals

Old 07-04-2012, 12:35 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,719,908 times
Quote:
Precisely.

To be honest, I'm happy with the present set up. Out here, there's a push to get companies in to bring jobs & pay property taxes. Kings Mountain & Gastonia have snagged some jobs that Greenville & Spartanburg wanted, but there's also a shift to some light industry & high-tech. No competition from Union County is appreciated.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:01 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,035,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post

Because in Marvin, for many families money is no object (families with highest income in NC and #38 in the USA) and they obviously disagree with you.

Interesting for sure... once again UC dominates with Marvin and Weddington. Even Wesley Chapel very high nationally ahead of infamous Raleigh transplant suburbs like Cary.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post

You like Marvin, I get it. It's not like I'm insulting your mother...

Go poll the residents of Eastover and tell me how much THEY make, lol. While you're at it, ask 'em if they'd consider Marvin. Be sure to flash your income stats for them.

If you want to make a counter point, feel free. You don't have to convince me, so this back and forth is meaningless. Post your opinion, post your stats, whatever. But don't make it personal, cause its not.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:26 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,173,181 times
Quote:
You like Marvin, I get it. It's not like I'm insulting your mother...

Go poll the residents of Eastover and tell me how much THEY make, lol. While you're at it, ask 'em if they'd consider Marvin. Be sure to flash your income stats for them.

If you want to make a counter point, feel free. You don't have to convince me, so this back and forth is meaningless. Post your opinion, post your stats, whatever. But don't make it personal, cause its not.

My argument was started by your portrait that Marvin is an isolated/remote town with not much to do, with which I beg to differ.

All I said, it is that majority of people where "money is no object" seem to like Marvin - and proved it with stats.
I don't feel that I need to convince anybody since I have no benefit, just making sure we don't mislead people who might be interested in relocation in areas around Charlotte.

Of course, personal preferences are just that, personal.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Interesting for sure... once again UC dominates with Marvin and Weddington. Even Wesley Chapel very high nationally ahead of infamous Raleigh transplant suburbs like Cary.
That's good! They are gonna need that cash to pay for roads and schools in a few years unless they can lure some business and industry.

That might hurt the salary averages though, so there's THAT to think about...

lol. I'm joshin' y'all... Hope y'all have a good fourth. I'll be walking to watch the fireworks uptown, hope y'all don't have to drive too far, lots of drunks out today for sure.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:41 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,356,474 times
I don't know if you can do much better than Marvin if money were no object, but you can probably do better. If money was no object for me I would probably do waterfront on Lake Norman...but of course you'd still have to drive to stuff

Native_Son, your suggestion of Eastover looks pretty good too...although contrary to your earlier post there are several homes under $1M listed at the moment.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:36 PM

55 posts, read 161,763 times
Default Marvin living

As usual, you folks put your finger right on the meaningful points. I too generally dislike "bedroom communities" and that's why I asked for walkable. Driving 15 minutes just to get coffee, sigh.

But aside from the proximity of conveniences there is the school issue. It seems like Marvin schools have climbed to top ranking for public, but that the private schools in the area mostly do not give you sufficient advantage given the expense. (Whether or not money is an object, spending foolishly doesn't seem to be what the cool kids do these days.) What I heard (just opinions) is that the college admission stats are not so great for the area's private schools and going rigorous public and taking a lot of AP classes might actually give the student an edge.

Am I tracking this right? Does anyone have any information on those private school college admission stats? Are they listed anywhere? SAT scores, anything like that? All I could find was a sly statement on Charlotte Latin's website that the 114 graduating students got 113 admission letters. No mention whether 100 of those were received by the top star

Is Marvin heading for hard times in terms of property values stagnating and people losing jobs, leaving the area, etc.? If so, are any of the surrounding communities (Weddington, etc.) any better off?

Old 07-04-2012, 02:54 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerro Toco View Post
As usual, you folks put your finger right on the meaningful points. I too generally dislike "bedroom communities" and that's why I asked for walkable. Driving 15 minutes just to get coffee, sigh.

But aside from the proximity of conveniences there is the school issue. It seems like Marvin schools have climbed to top ranking for public, but that the private schools in the area mostly do not give you sufficient advantage given the expense. (Whether or not money is an object, spending foolishly doesn't seem to be what the cool kids do these days.) What I heard (just opinions) is that the college admission stats are not so great for the area's private schools and going rigorous public and taking a lot of AP classes might actually give the student an edge.

Am I tracking this right? Does anyone have any information on those private school college admission stats? Are they listed anywhere? SAT scores, anything like that? All I could find was a sly statement on Charlotte Latin's website that the 114 graduating students got 113 admission letters. No mention whether 100 of those were received by the top star

Is Marvin heading for hard times in terms of property values stagnating and people losing jobs, leaving the area, etc.? If so, are any of the surrounding communities (Weddington, etc.) any better off?
Not sure where to direct you to see exactly where all those private school kids are heading to college, but I can tell you this - the top 4 private schools, plus the very strong Catholic High, do indeed send 98% of their kids off to college. In addition, the scholarships and awards given at those schools are never just limited to one "top star", and they are given out in MILLIONS of dollars to every graduating class every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte