Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 13,418 times

Advertisements

Hi There!

I'm sure my questions will sound very similar to several threads already started on here, but I guess I just wanted to join in on the fun! My husband and I are in the beginning stages of relocating to Charlotte from New York City. We were both born and raised in the Raleigh/Durham area, so we're very excited to move back down south closer to home and to our families. We are familiar with the Charlotte area, but only from a tourist point of view. As far as choosing the right place for us to live, well, we need some help.

We're looking to rent an apartment/house for our first year in town (preferably a 1-bedroom for $1000/month or less), and then settle into a starter home after that once we've gotten the chance to really explore the city. We would love to start out renting in an area that's family (and pet!) friendly and that's fairly walkable. We're both very active and enjoy running and taking our dog for walks, so living in a walkable and interesting area would be great. We'd love to be close to restaurants and shops, but we definitely understand that we're going to have to drive in some cases (which we're kind of excited about since we haven't driven in 3 years while living in NY, ha!) My husband and I will be working in the 4th ward area, so we'd love to keep the commute to 5-10 miles or less. Neither of us are really into the "nightlife" scene. We are BIG sports lovers and hope to attend many Panthers and Bobcats games.

In a nutshell, we're hoping to live in a place that's safe and quiet in an area that will give us a a good taste of what Charlotte is all about! We both love the historical feel of the Dilworth, Elizabeth, Myers Park, Eastover, and Midwood areas, but we also understand the hefty price tag associated with them. We're really looking forward to calling Charlotte our new home and would really appreciate any neighborhood or apartment recommendations you may have Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,856,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCDancer View Post
Hi There!

I'm sure my questions will sound very similar to several threads already started on here, but I guess I just wanted to join in on the fun! My husband and I are in the beginning stages of relocating to Charlotte from New York City. We were both born and raised in the Raleigh/Durham area, so we're very excited to move back down south closer to home and to our families. We are familiar with the Charlotte area, but only from a tourist point of view. As far as choosing the right place for us to live, well, we need some help.

We're looking to rent an apartment/house for our first year in town (preferably a 1-bedroom for $1000/month or less), and then settle into a starter home after that once we've gotten the chance to really explore the city. We would love to start out renting in an area that's family (and pet!) friendly and that's fairly walkable. We're both very active and enjoy running and taking our dog for walks, so living in a walkable and interesting area would be great. We'd love to be close to restaurants and shops, but we definitely understand that we're going to have to drive in some cases (which we're kind of excited about since we haven't driven in 3 years while living in NY, ha!) My husband and I will be working in the 4th ward area, so we'd love to keep the commute to 5-10 miles or less. Neither of us are really into the "nightlife" scene. We are BIG sports lovers and hope to attend many Panthers and Bobcats games.

In a nutshell, we're hoping to live in a place that's safe and quiet in an area that will give us a a good taste of what Charlotte is all about! We both love the historical feel of the Dilworth, Elizabeth, Myers Park, Eastover, and Midwood areas, but we also understand the hefty price tag associated with them. We're really looking forward to calling Charlotte our new home and would really appreciate any neighborhood or apartment recommendations you may have Thanks for your help!
Well welcome back home to the south

Your budget for a one bedroom apt is pretty good. You'd have to come up a bit to get a house, just FYI .

I would recommend you look to live in either Southend, Dilworth, Myers Park or Elizabeth to get the kind of lifestyle you are looking for.

These areas will also give you quick commutes to your job location. And if you lived in Southend, you could even take the light rail to work very easily.

Look at places like Circle Southend, Spectrum Southend, Elizabeth Square, Edgehill Terrace (older but a great location), Millennium Southend, Salem Village - just to name a few

Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM

Thanks so much for your help! I'll be sure to look do some research in those areas! Keep those suggestions coming

Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM

I should also add that we're looking to move this summer (July/August). Hoping to be settled in by the start of the NFL season, not that it matters or anything, haha

Old 04-19-2012, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 7,396 times
I agree with what the other poster has said, I'm from upstate NY originally and my husband and I moved here from Boston almost a year and a half ago and we love it here! We decided on the South End to rent and now are in the process of closing on a brand new! house. That would have never been a possibility up North! South End has a bunch of great little shops and restaurants, the light rail is right there which you could probably take to work and it's an easy walk to panthers stadium or bobcats arena for games.

If you do end up going the house rental route I'd suggest Madison Park or Sedgefield, they are just a little bit further South of Dilworth and South End but a bit more affordable in terms of renting a whole house. Lots of nice parks and I always see tons of people running!

Good luck with your move and welcome to the South from a fellow yankee!

Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,373,738 times
I agree that Madison Park and Sedgefield would be perfect for a young couple starting out. Before Charlotte exploded in the mid-90's, those areas were filled with young couples. Things started to decline for a while there but they're definitely turning around now. You don't want to be too close to South Blvd. though. I love the style of those homes. Some of them have really been remodeled beautifully. They still look like the style of architecture they were intended to be, but they're sparkling new and fabulous. I'd love to see some on the interiors.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 PM

Thanks so much, I'll be sure to check out those areas too!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:08 AM

97 posts, read 277,750 times
Look in NoDa. Vibrant, urban, and fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte