Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 09:56 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,034,194 times

Advertisements

North Carolina Wednesday,
October 1, 2014 Steele Creek Crossing (Store #1483)
12810 S. Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28273
(Mecklenburg County) 47,000 sq. ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 10:16 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,847,586 times
I don't have one that's closer than HT/Aldi/Target to me so I only go to Publix when I need certain items that only they carry.

And even then I dread going. Why? I don't mind too much how every employee you happen to see will greet you vigorously but the sample people are like car salesmen if you politely say no thank you or shake your head at their request for you to sample. Then they say loudly, "Are you sure? It's delicious! Come and try it! You might like it!" and on and on till I am out of sight.

Then if there are 2 people stocking within eyesight AND earshot of each other, no need for both one right after the other to say, "Can I help find you anything" in a 1 second span. I felt like it was a joke on me. Maybe I was cranky since it was right after 2 sample people (sushi and their "meal" idea) plus numerous greetings but I just didn't care for it. I was hoping it would die down after the grand openings but nope.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:52 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,105,671 times
Publix is the best grocery store ever. If they are starting to make a move in Charlotte then the competition should be very worried. I haven't been here that long but I am not impressed with the Harris Teeter or Food Lion locations that I have been in, and unless their is something else that is better in this area then Publix will give them a run for their money big time. Publix pretty much ran Harris Teeter and Food Lion out of Metro Atlanta when they first came to town back in the day, and before they came people back home where in denial about them crushing the competition the same way that people here are now. I remember folks from Florida who had been used to Publix saying the same thing I am saying now, we didn't believe it and in a few short years we quickly saw how wrong we were.

It's hard to compete with Publix. The prices are good and the BOGO deals are basically also a half off. You don't have to buy 2 items to get the promotional deal, just buy one and you get the same discount. Then they actually have items that you would need and want. As a kid my Dad would just wait until the Paper Towels went on BOGO and just load up on them, he got enough to last until the next time they went on special. And he always cleaned them out so they would have to give him a rain check for the difference and it didnt matter that when the truck came in the special was over, they still honored the sale price. I'm a cheap skate too and I do the same thing as an adult now and I saved a lot of money back home by just taking advantage of the BOGO specials every week. Then the hot bar at Publix is not a joke, their fried chicken is going toe to toe with Popeye's IMO. The Mardi Gras chicken is excellent, and the side items are good too. The only weak spot at the hot bar is the Hot Wings IMO, I was never a fan of their sauce. Then the Boars Head subs at Publix make an @ss out of any of the Sub shop chains. Their meat and seafood section is perfect for people like me who can't cook, they have stuff like pre-seasoned steaks, chicken kabobs, burgers, salmon and tuna. Even the Publix brand microwaveable meals are good.

Then last but not least their customer service is second to none. People there actually have good attitudes because they are actually paid a decent wage, and it's across the board, no matter what type of neighborhood the Publix was in that I have been to, the people who work their were always helpful and nice.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Publix is the best grocery store ever. If they are starting to make a move in Charlotte then the competition should be very worried. I haven't been here that long but I am not impressed with the Harris Teeter or Food Lion locations that I have been in, and unless their is something else that is better in this area then Publix will give them a run for their money big time. Publix pretty much ran Harris Teeter and Food Lion out of Metro Atlanta when they first came to town back in the day, and before they came people back home where in denial about them crushing the competition the same way that people here are now. I remember folks from Florida who had been used to Publix saying the same thing I am saying now, we didn't believe it and in a few short years we quickly saw how wrong we were.

It's hard to compete with Publix. The prices are good and the BOGO deals are basically also a half off. You don't have to buy 2 items to get the promotional deal, just buy one and you get the same discount. Then they actually have items that you would need and want. As a kid my Dad would just wait until the Paper Towels went on BOGO and just load up on them, he got enough to last until the next time they went on special. And he always cleaned them out so they would have to give him a rain check for the difference and it didnt matter that when the truck came in the special was over, they still honored the sale price. I'm a cheap skate too and I do the same thing as an adult now and I saved a lot of money back home by just taking advantage of the BOGO specials every week. Then the hot bar at Publix is not a joke, their fried chicken is going toe to toe with Popeye's IMO. The Mardi Gras chicken is excellent, and the side items are good too. The only weak spot at the hot bar is the Hot Wings IMO, I was never a fan of their sauce. Then the Boars Head subs at Publix make an @ss out of any of the Sub shop chains. Their meat and seafood section is perfect for people like me who can't cook, they have stuff like pre-seasoned steaks, chicken kabobs, burgers, salmon and tuna. Even the Publix brand microwaveable meals are good.

Then last but not least their customer service is second to none. People there actually have good attitudes because they are actually paid a decent wage, and it's across the board, no matter what type of neighborhood the Publix was in that I have been to, the people who work their were always helpful and nice.
lol Let me guess, you like Publix?

Old 09-22-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
lol Let me guess, you like Publix?
Yeah just a little bit....Lol

Old 09-22-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah just a little bit....Lol
I did like them in Miami growing up. But as I mentioned in my earlier post, I just want to shop in peace. I don't mind too much the general greetings as a lot of stores do that but the rest is too much for me. I tend to go to Aldi or Traders Joe's.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:26 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,554,190 times
Quote:

I agree, I like the customer service extra touches. I grew up in Miami (also) and actually don't remember them being *that* overtly friendly and going out of their way. I get the Chic-Fla "feel" when I go in there - very family oriented and it really is a nice experience.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:40 PM

415 posts, read 1,152,433 times
Just FYI, but the Publix in Steele Creek will open next week (Oct 1). Initially the Publix website showed the stores in Huntersville and in Whitehall opening that day too, but now the website no longer lists those opening dates.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I did like them in Miami growing up. But as I mentioned in my earlier post, I just want to shop in peace. I don't mind too much the general greetings as a lot of stores do that but the rest is too much for me. I tend to go to Aldi or Traders Joe's.
I could see why you feel like that, sometimes they are nice in a creepy way at Publix. But I'm not mad at them for teaching the employees there to go out of their way to help customers. I have heard other people complain that they are too nice though. I was in a Publix early one morning and this lady in line in front of me told the cashier that it was annoying that she was so friendly so early in the morning.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I agree, I like the customer service extra touches. I grew up in Miami (also) and actually don't remember them being *that* overtly friendly and going out of their way. I get the Chic-Fla "feel" when I go in there - very family oriented and it really is a nice experience.
What's hilarious is that I see people on here in the earlier pages of this thread saying that Publix won't really give the local chains here a problem, but I have cousins that grew up in So. FLorida and they used to tell me the same thing- that when Publix came to Atlanta they would kill off the other grocery stores. Didn't believe them then and when Publix first came to the city we actually kind of hated it. Didn't like the fact that this grocery store we had never heard of from FLA was coming in to the city, even didnt like the color scheme in the stores which just screamed South FLorida. Fast forward a few years and we loved it, and all the competition had been killed off except for Krogers. Publix literally ran Winn Dixie, Cub, Ingles, Food Lion and Harris Teeter out of town. The only reason Krogers survived because they are so big and they are open 24 hours, but Im sure Publix put a hurting on their bottom line too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte