Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,302,101 times

Advertisements

I'd rather have Piggly Wiggly over Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,878,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
I'd rather have Piggly Wiggly over Publix.
Well, you're in luck. Take a daytrip that includes a stop in Blacksburg, SC. There's a Piggly Wiggly there.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:58 AM

461 posts, read 991,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, you're in luck. Take a daytrip that includes a stop in Blacksburg, SC. There's a Piggly Wiggly there.
There's one in Clover too, which is a VERY short trip.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:30 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,697,080 times
Publix is the BEST!!! Harris Teeter is all hype and no product

Old 03-13-2011, 06:33 AM

6 posts, read 9,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I did not say that they are there now. I said that in one of the grocery threads someone said that they had been there. They must have had a reason to leave. The question would be which stores were there when they left. If Publix was there, was that the reason that HT left. Whoever made the post that Harris Teeter was there might know those answers.

I've seen the threads on the Western NC board about Ingles vs Food Lion, & I've seen it here, where I live. That would explain why you have Bloom instead of Food Lion in the urban areas.
HT was in Greenville/Spartanburg and left probably about 15 years ago. They didn't pull out because of Publix, which wasn't there quite yet at that time. It had more to do with Bi-Lo's presence there.

HT lacks in many areas and is over priced. I wish there was better competition, but it seems only in the outlying areas of charlotte.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:38 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,895,043 times
I think HT is going to take a beating over in Stonecrest off of Rea RD and Ballantyne Commons. The Target there is turning into a Super Target. I shopped at Super Target for years in FL and loved them. I am really happy they are finally bringing some here. (I know there is one near Carowinds somewhere)

I am looking forward to Whole Foods, which I think bought Wild Oats, another FL store I loved. Publix, meh. I didn't like them in Miami and don't miss it. I personally think HT is alot better than them. As for produce, I went to Norman Brothers (are they still there?) and Publix didn't come close to their produce. And for the bakery, I never bought baked goods there when there are several awesome cuban bakery shops. My family would have killed me if I brought them a publix cake instead of a "real" cake. LOL

Last edited by momtothree; 03-13-2011 at 07:48 AM..

Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,878,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK2001 View Post
HT was in Greenville/Spartanburg and left probably about 15 years ago. They didn't pull out because of Publix, which wasn't there quite yet at that time. It had more to do with Bi-Lo's presence there.

HT lacks in many areas and is over priced. I wish there was better competition, but it seems only in the outlying areas of charlotte.
Yeah, I waited & since no one else posted on the Greenville/Spartanburg board, I started a thread there. I was told that Harris Teeter had a minimal presence there in the '90s. So far they seem to think that Publix will hold its own, at a minimum.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:24 PM

769 posts, read 2,227,083 times
I have limited experience with Publix. The first one I went to (in Atlanta) was fabulous. So the next time I was in Atlanta, I went to the nearest Publix and was terribly disappointed. It was an older, smaller store, and honestly didn't live up to HT (which is not my favorite store to begin with). So I can definitely see how people could wonder why the big deal about Publix - I would have said the same thing if I had only experienced the second one.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 AM

540 posts, read 1,711,334 times
OK - seriously AND respectfully, your opinions about publix v. HT v. Bi_lo v. Piggly Wiggly dont matter..
We're juts wondering if people have any INFORMATION about when Publix is coming..

Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,302,101 times
My guess, the reason that people have not stated any information about Publix in Charlotte, is simply because there isn't any. I don't think Publix has ever indicated they were interested in Charlotte beyond the "we may consider it in the future" stock response that all companies make when asked about future plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte