Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 PM

176 posts, read 292,298 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience riding the 45x express bus into uptown? I note the bus takes ~22 minutes to get to uptown from park & ride at carmel & sharon view. I just bought a house that is ~ 2 miles south-west from that park & ride, so this appears to be an attractive commuting option. I'm figuring 40 minutes door-to-door versus 30 minutes driving. The offset for the extra 20 minutes and less flexible commuting schedule is savings on gas, vehicle maintenance, downtown parking, and insurance, and a more relaxing commute. In addition, I could also use the 40 minutes on the bus to handle email, etc.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,963,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post
Anyone have experience riding the 45x express bus into uptown? I note the bus takes ~22 minutes to get to uptown from park & ride at carmel & sharon view. I just bought a house that is ~ 2 miles south-west from that park & ride, so this appears to be an attractive commuting option. I'm figuring 40 minutes door-to-door versus 30 minutes driving. The offset for the extra 20 minutes and less flexible commuting schedule is savings on gas, vehicle maintenance, downtown parking, and insurance, and a more relaxing commute. In addition, I could also use the 40 minutes on the bus to handle email, etc.

Thoughts?

My husband rode another express bus for years from south Charlotte and really enjoyed it. He had plenty of time to work on his laptop or just catch up on reading during the ride. Express buses are much better than the local buses since they make no, or few, stops. I say go for it

Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 AM

198 posts, read 292,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post

Thoughts?
Do you know the exact parking spots for this route? we are plannign to buy a home near arboretum and I want to take 45X vs the 61X (dont want to take the providence road route).

My plan was to drive till the nearest parking option on this route and then take the bus. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:35 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,303,557 times
Here are parking locations for all cats buses:
CATS Park and Rides

From the Arboretum, your best bet appears to be the Mormon Church at 5815 Carmel Road.
If you don't want to take 14, you could also consider the Rea Road express 62X

Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Here are parking locations for all cats buses:
CATS Park and Rides

From the Arboretum, your best bet appears to be the Mormon Church at 5815 Carmel Road.
If you don't want to take 14, you could also consider the Rea Road express 62X
Thanks so much - you made it easy for me to look up :-)

Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,989,984 times
I tried using it for a while, but it's just too early for me. The last bus leaves south Charlotte around 7:20 or so. I prefer to drive to a LYNX station since it runs every 10 minutes during the mornings, and you aren't under any pressure to catch a particular train.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I tried using it for a while, but it's just too early for me. The last bus leaves south Charlotte around 7:20 or so. I prefer to drive to a LYNX station since it runs every 10 minutes during the mornings, and you aren't under any pressure to catch a particular train.
i am looking at reaching work 8 - 8.30 so I take the express bus.. but if there is also an option of Lynx.. i would like to explore that too..

this might be little naive - I stay near arboretum and want to take the train is that a good idea? or bus is my best bet? also, how do you get to lynx from arboretum ?

TIA

Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,989,984 times
I suppose taking LYNX from Arboretum is a little nonsensical, since you're driving 7 to 10 miles just to get to a station (depending on which one you pick).

But it could be somewhat justifiable depending on the uptown traffic clog you are avoiding. Or if you miss the express bus sometimes and don't want to pay uptown rates to park there.

It is a good idea to have a backup plan. CATS does sometimes take a bus out of rotation on short notice, so if you need to, drive to a LYNX station on those days and get a transfer from one of the local busses parked there.

There's another express bus that goes up Providence, and you could consider it too.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I suppose taking LYNX from Arboretum is a little nonsensical, since you're driving 7 to 10 miles just to get to a station (depending on which one you pick).

But it could be somewhat justifiable depending on the uptown traffic clog you are avoiding. Or if you miss the express bus sometimes and don't want to pay uptown rates to park there.

It is a good idea to have a backup plan. CATS does sometimes take a bus out of rotation on short notice, so if you need to, drive to a LYNX station on those days and get a transfer from one of the local busses parked there.

There's another express bus that goes up Providence, and you could consider it too.

Thanks a lot for the details.. and i agree with having a back-up plan :-)

Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,683,985 times
Just wondering . . . are you planning on parking your car at the Mormon church? I don't know what their policy is, but that is private property. Some businesses and churches will tow cars. Just thought I would mention that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte