Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,029,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not really, Whiteville is "any small town" America with a quaint little downtown, throw back neighborhoods, and an old cinema. Two golf courses that are hidden gems, and several scattered on the back roads of Columbus and Brunswick counties, and South Carolina as you migrate towards the beach areas of both states.

I miss easy access to the beach, fresh seafood and always enjoy going home....peaceful, tranquil and will probably retire to Brunswick County (one of the fastest growing counties in NC)...cost is beginning to soar.

Ok, another must stop..Dales Seafood (on the Lake) in Lake Waccamaw, just off US 74 between Whiteville and Wilmington: Dale's Seafood, Lake Waccamaw, NC : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local - Calabash style.
... And a lovely and active KKK chapter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,290,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
... And a lovely and active KKK chapter.
Don't have to travel too far outside of Charlotte to locate the nearest lovely and active chapter.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 PM

373 posts, read 779,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Wait... why have you spent so much time in traffic court?
That was when I was much younger. A lot of speeding tickets. I don't think I had received any traffic tickets for at least 8 years before this speeding ticket. I doubt that the Judge had a copy of my driving record but would not say it to be impossible either.

Quote:
I have no idea if judges get a transcript of a drivers court history but maybe he was being difficult because you spend so much time in traffic court and still showed up in shorts...
My time in traffic court was always in Charlotte, NC.
Charlotte must have the best traffic court in the nation in my opinion.
Most of the time you can resolve whatever issues you have in the line before ever even going inside the court room.
If you need to go in the court room to handle your affairs, there are usually three or more DA's and very little wait time. I think they can move through a hundred people in a hour. As long as you have all of your proper information with you, the DA's are always very helpful and accommodating in working with you to help bring a resolution.
Most importantly, I don't think they have any enforced dress code.
This was in my mind when I decided to not dress more professionally for my second court date in Whiteville.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM

15,357 posts, read 12,677,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
That was when I was much younger. A lot of speeding tickets. I don't think I had received any traffic tickets for at least 8 years before this speeding ticket. I doubt that the Judge had a copy of my driving record but would not say it to be impossible either.

My time in traffic court was always in Charlotte, NC.
Charlotte must have the best traffic court in the nation in my opinion.
Most of the time you can resolve whatever issues you have in the line before ever even going inside the court room.
If you need to go in the court room to handle your affairs, there are usually three or more DA's and very little wait time. I think they can move through a hundred people in a hour. As long as you have all of your proper information with you, the DA's are always very helpful and accommodating in working with you to help bring a resolution.
Most importantly, I don't think they have any enforced dress code.
This was in my mind when I decided to not dress more professionally for my second court date in Whiteville.
Thanks for the info... I just got a speeding ticket on Sharon Amity last week. Officer said I was doing 52 in a 35. A cop was driving in the opposite direction and did a u turn and said I was speeding.

Same thing happened about 6 years ago in rural Kentucky and it was thrown out. They said the cop made a mistake on the ticket and he had a family emergency but they were lying because I saw him talking to the DA in a side chamber.

I seriously doubt I was going over 40 and I'm planning on going to court over it. I will wear a tie and slacks regardless of dress code.

Should I get an attorney? Fight it myself? Do the Prayer for Justice thing?

Old 01-26-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info... I just got a speeding ticket on Sharon Amity last week. Officer said I was doing 52 in a 35. A cop was driving in the opposite direction and did a u turn and said I was speeding.
Same thing happened about 6 years ago in rural Kentucky and it was thrown out. They said the cop made a mistake on the ticket and he had a family emergency but they were lying because I saw him talking to the DA in a side chamber.
I seriously doubt I was going over 40 and I'm planning on going to court over it. I will wear a tie and slacks regardless of dress code.
Should I get an attorney? Fight it myself? Do the Prayer for Justice thing?
Based on my experience I speak of in this thread, I am probably not the one to be giving any legal advice, but what the hey!

It has been a while since I have done the traffic court thing in Charlotte.
If it is anything like it was, you will be fine without a lawyer. Matter of fact, I have never hired a lawyer for traffic court and the DA's were always more than helpful in working with me.

When you go to court, most likely you can talk the DA into dropping the speed down on the ticket, pay your court cost, have no points added to yout license (can't say the same about insurance), and be on your way.
The DA's in Charlotte are always very helpful in my opinion.

A worst case scenario would be......
If the DA for some reason was not to eager to work with you, you could then ask for an extension. The court would then assign you a second court date(within 90 days I think) and during that time you could choose to go with a lawyer and have him/her represent you at the second court date.
You have the extension option so it might be a good way to "play your hand" if for some reason the DA woke up on the wrong side of the world that morning.

Best case scenario........
There may be the "Prayer for Jugdement" option depending on your driving record. In this situation, your speeding ticket will be thrown out completely upon the completion of a defensive driving class.
The class is a one day/ 4 hour class.

The only advice that I can really give you is go to court. Do not just pay the ticket. Oh yea, and wear a sharp looking suit. You might even want to throw on a " I Voted" sticker on your tie.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 PM

821 posts, read 1,858,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
That town is a dump. We eat there every year on the way to Wilmington
Next time I would pack a lunch and not waste any money in Whiteville.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,154,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Don't have to travel too far outside of Charlotte to locate the nearest lovely and active chapter.
Really??? Exactly where are these active chapters? Why is it that people can't post comments without slipping in racist remarks? By the way OP, was the judge black or white?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Really??? Exactly where are these active chapters? Why is it that people can't post comments without slipping in racist remarks? By the way OP, was the judge black or white?
The Judge was white.
This has nothing to do with anything

I think Big Aristotle's comment was meant with complete sarcasm.
If his post or any other seem to offend you please take it up with Big Aristotle in PM's or go to the mod's, but please do not turn this thread into an arguement on an unrelated subject. I have no control over what someone other than myself posts.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:58 PM

28 posts, read 89,131 times
Default Columbus Co. is a Notorious Speed Trap

Columbus Co. and Whiteville have long been known as speed traps and there are lawyers in that area who make their entire living from handling speeding tickets. Several years ago my daughter got a ticket on Hwy. 74 in Columbus Co. and we got a lawyer in Tabor City who handled it for her for a reasonable fee. She received a prayer for judgment, no points and was allowed to attend traffic school here in Charlotte and never had to actually appear in Columbus Co. It was well worth the money. However, I'm sorry you had such a nightmare experience and glad you made it out of Whiteville without having to serve time in the pokey!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM

321 posts, read 862,840 times
The original post is a classic example of how a lot of governmental agencies abuse their power in this country. I highly doubt this would've happened in many other first-world countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte