Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times

Advertisements

This subject fascinates me. For starters let me say I am a born and raised NewYorker and live 1/3 of my time in NY, 1/3 in Savannah Ga. and 1/3 in the Dominican Republic. That being said as a way of background information I would like to pose the following question to those that moved or are thinking of moving to Charlotte.

Was it a money issue? Taxes in Nassau county? Commute? Lose of job? Want bigger house? (current thread: she is willing to spend $400-500,000 OMG) rude people, no family, no friends, not interested in what NYC has to offer, school system, weather of course (always #1 on the hit parade)lawns, Pledge of Alligance, gun carrying, Marlboro Man image, job transfer, evicted, running from crime, insurance rates, lost business, mistress/boyfriend lives there, yer friends called and said "it's great", illegal human being, (don't need to answer here-send me a DM)could not afford better in NY or NJ, escape from mother-in-law,need to practice my Zen in calmer enviro, .....
help me out here.

I'm serious....why would you leave the greatest city in the world??

Warning: Before you shoot answer the question. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
This subject fascinates me. For starters let me say I am a born and raised NewYorker and live 1/3 of my time in NY, 1/3 in Savannah Ga. and 1/3 in the Dominican Republic. That being said as a way of background information I would like to pose the following question to those that moved or are thinking of moving to Charlotte.

Was it a money issue? Taxes in Nassau county? Commute? Lose of job? Want bigger house? (current thread: she is willing to spend $400-500,000 OMG) rude people, no family, no friends, not interested in what NYC has to offer, school system, weather of course (always #1 on the hit parade)lawns, Pledge of Alligance, gun carrying, Marlboro Man image, job transfer, evicted, running from crime, insurance rates, lost business, mistress/boyfriend lives there, yer friends called and said "it's great", illegal human being, (don't need to answer here-send me a DM)could not afford better in NY or NJ, escape from mother-in-law,need to practice my Zen in calmer enviro, .....
help me out here.

Its cheaper here!!!..no other reason for most people. Obviously that reason wasnt even good enough for me as I am on my way back.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM

149 posts, read 275,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post

help me out here.

I'll be the first....husband made me do it, didnt want to move to NC but was lured with shiney and new, big house, promise of new baby- yep he dangled the baby carrot We since moved back, thank goodness- wasn't for me but he did LOVE it! PS I got the baby and got back north

Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,271 times
for me it was a perfect storm.....didn't own a house, just broke up with my girlfriend, got a job offer with a significant raise here in good ol' charlotte.....I was like sure, I'll give it a try.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:33 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,854 times
I would be curious to hear from those who went back why.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 PM

152 posts, read 292,314 times
Maybe b/c we no longer feel that it is the "greatest city" in the world.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM

149 posts, read 275,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
that would be me

Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 PM

123 posts, read 283,076 times
We know, we know and we are SO happy! I love when New Yorkers move back because it just reinforces that they don't belong here where people are laid back and like to enjoy what the south has to offer!! Pretty pathetic you move back up north and yet you still "troll" sites related to Charlotte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry

that would be me

Old 01-09-2012, 10:13 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
Okay, spent 39 years in NYC. I was looking to escape for years, but know that dear ex would not allow his daughter to move out of state. Well at the age of 15, she was old enough to speak her own mind, and like her mother, she wanted out. Of course, I dangled the carrot in her face as well! We were originally looking to go to Raleigh/Durham and I had a job transfer offer with old company Credit Suisse. Took a vacation, showed her the beauty and she was in. Now that we were on the same playing field, she told her father she wanted to do high school in the carolinas. I turned that job and found another job in Charlotte, and we moved, been her almost 5 years. NYC has a lot that we love, but Charlotte has been our home. Besides family, shopping and select good restaurants, we pretty much have everything right here. Neither one of us wants to spend more than a couple of days in noisy NYC when we go. Yes, we go frequently as we have no family here. The carolinas will be my home, but I may get out of Charlotte and live in the outskirts.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:22 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
Maybe b/c we no longer feel that it is the "greatest city" in the world.
OK, but for what reasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte