Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 25,596 times

Advertisements

I recently moved from the UK to the US. I went first to MI, to visit my family and to purchase a used car from a family friend. In MI, I purchased a 60-day temporary plate for my car so that I would have time to get to NC and get settled before having to run out and get the NC plates sorted. The MI temporary plate (paper) is designed to stick to the inside of the car's back window, so that's where it's been displayed.

I was pulled over on I-85 today (on my 30th birthday, of all things!) by a sheriff who told me I was driving without plates. When I pointed out that I have the temporary plate, he said that I cannot display temporary tags on the inside of my vehicle - it must be displayed on the outside. He said I would need to "figure out a way to attach it to the outside of the car" once I got home.

So...can anyone give me an idea of how to do this? If I just tape it to the outside of my car, it could get wet or fall off or someone could just take it. It's good until the end of September, but I was planning to get the NC plates sorted out next week, since I'll finally have a permanent address on Friday (I'm staying with friends at the moment). Do I put it in a plastic sleeve or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 09:39 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,133 times
Thats odd because I've seen temp tags in windows before. They were from SC (I think). I hope he didn't give you a ticket.
When we get the 30 day tags in NC they go in the spot a regular plate would go & I think they are waterproof. It should be able to be screwed into place. I don't think there are people who would go around & steal a 60 day temp tag from out of state.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:42 AM

46 posts, read 188,061 times
I bet if you called a car dealership they would be able to tell you how the temp tags have to be displayed.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:10 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
They do have to be displayed outside. Get some clear packaging tape and cover the paper where the plate would usually go. This stuff usually removes easily and safely with some rubbing alcohol. This will also prevent someone from stealing it as they did witth my 30 day tag (and that is a big problem in NC).

Old 02-02-2010, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 14,451 times
my son registered a car in charlotte n.c not knowing he need to register the car before getting plates the problem is that the car is in new york he needs temporary plates to move it is that posible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte