Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:59 PM

18 posts, read 55,582 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been trying to do a seach through the forums to get more information regarding the 3% HUT when I move. (my search comes up with nothing) I am confussed as to this being a yearly tax or a one time thing. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row for our move in the next month. I currently live in Vegas, were we pay a very large yearly tax when renewing registration.

For instance on my 2007 Prius I paid about 450.00 to register here in Vegas....Curious if this will be the same in Charlotte area?

Thanks to who ever can shed some light on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 02:16 PM

353 posts, read 996,035 times
If you are moving from out of state, you will need to have your car insured by a company recognized in North Carolina, and then bring said proof of insurance with you when registering your car. You will then pay for your new license plates (BE SURE YOUR OLD STATE DOES NOT WANT THE PLATES BACK!! IF THEY DO YOU COULD GET NAILED FOR IT LATER AS IT SEEMS THE DMV'S ARE ALL INTERCONNECTED! My mom just got nailed, and she left NY in *1994*!!). The cost for you to register your car will be the registration fee, plus the HUT (Highway Use Tax) which is 3% of the blue book, but I believe it is capped at $300 or $400. You can call the DMV 919-715-7000 for more information. If I were you, I would call twice, talk to 2 different agents, and be sure you get the same story. I have had to do that, as many times (most memorably when trying to register my jet-ski from NY to NC) you can get conflicting information.

You will pay the HUT every year, billed seperately from annual registration. Your car will also need to be inspected every year for emissions testing (around $30 or so). If you do not have emissions testing in your state, NC gives you 30 days to get it done, or you are subject to a $250 fine.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-24-2007, 02:33 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighCEPark View Post
(BE SURE YOUR OLD STATE DOES NOT WANT THE PLATES BACK!! IF THEY DO YOU COULD GET NAILED FOR IT LATER AS IT SEEMS THE DMV'S ARE ALL INTERCONNECTED! My mom just got nailed, and she left NY in *1994*!!).
How do you know if your old state wants the plates back? Why would they want them back? What will they do if you don't mail them back. We want to keep them as a remembrance.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:13 PM

I know it's odd, but here are two examples:

1) My mom and dad moved from NY to NC in 1994. When going to renew her license last week, she was told by the DMV worker that a "hold" of some sort was put on her license, and that in order to remove the "hold" so she could renew her license, she had to pay $25 to the state of NY for "having lapsed insurance on non-renewed NY plates" -- even though she wasn't living there anymore, and hadn't for 14 years!

2) (This applies to NC -- they OWN the plates, you don't, so, they want them back. That I know for a fact.)
When I moved from NC to MI (I am back in NC now) I simply kept my plates, not knowing the rules/law? about NC "owning" the plate. Apparently, they sent me a letter to my old address asking me to return it, but it was never forwarded to me in MI. Same as above, they consider the plates "stolen" with lapsed insurance if you don't turn them in.
When moving BACK to NC I had to pay a fine for not returning the plates. I was like "HUH? How am I supposed to know that? No one told me to bring them back to the DMV." to which I was told "Well, this is NC, not NY, not MI, so, you should have asked" (Lovely woman working at the call center.)

It's not a nice feeling to be blindsided by some law you're "supposed" to know, but, there ya go. So, be aware. Your ignorance could cost you!
Call your local DMV and ask.

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2007, 06:31 PM

235 posts, read 730,163 times
When you register your car you also pay for the title of the car to be reissued with your NC address. We payed a total of 188.00 for plates, title,registration and tax. I do not think this included the yearly tax bill on the car. I can tell you I did not get a receipt with everything broken down as to what I paid...pretty slick. Also the law changed in July you have to have a NC license before you can register your car.
I am from NY and they sent me a threatening letter about their plates so I am returning them in the mail. I have only been here 2 months so they are getting faster at catching on!!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:03 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Highway Use Tax (HUT) - A one-time state vehicle registration tax as opposed to the annual local property tax on motor vehicles.

All transactions involving a vehicle titled out of state 90 days prior to registering in North Carolina will be taxed on vehicle value, with a maximum of $150.00 being assessed.

If owned less than 90 days before applying for North Carolina Title, tax credit against the highway use tax due will be allowed for the amount of tax paid to the other state upon submission of proof of payment.

If the vehicle was titled in North Carolina after 90 days of purchase from a dealer, no credit would be allowed. Full highway use tax would be due on the purchase price, less any trade-in credit.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Highway Use Tax (HUT)

Last edited by mm34b; 08-24-2007 at 07:17 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 07:07 PM

I'm sorry, I confused HUT with the property tax.

Yes, the HUT is only billed once. You will pay PROPERTY TAX on the car every year, based on blue book (or other standard method of establishing vehicle's worth).

Sorry about that!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighCEPark View Post
I'm sorry, I confused HUT with the property tax.

Yes, the HUT is only billed once. You will pay PROPERTY TAX on the car every year, based on blue book (or other standard method of establishing vehicle's worth).

Sorry about that!
The annual local property tax is also dependent on your county/city of residence. Some areas have a high property tax rate, while some others are quite low.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 PM

18 posts, read 55,582 times
Thanks for the all the help. What kind of figures am I looking at for a car's yearly propert tax? Is it a percentage, can I look it up by the city I will be living in. Thanks

Old 08-30-2007, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitellia View Post
Thanks for the all the help. What kind of figures am I looking at for a car's yearly propert tax? Is it a percentage, can I look it up by the city I will be living in. Thanks
http://www.dor.state.nc.us/publicati...tes2006-07.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte