Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2007, 04:55 PM

55 posts, read 190,637 times

Advertisements

I just saw this on the news that this classic diner is going to be destroyed. When I went online to look into it, I only found salt thrown on the wound... Beazer Homes is going to "make way for a mix of townhomes, low-rise condominiums and a small office and retail component".

It just makes me ask why were there not enough citizens of Charlotte against this move to stop big business from destroying another piece of the cities history in the name of progress?

O wait, you are going to put up another landmark talking about what historic place use to be located there so I guess that makes it ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 05:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,578,373 times
You are not posting the true facts the building is not being destroyed the owners made a choice for better sales to be closer to uptown for more buisness that it has been lacking. The physical shell will remain.

BEAZER DID NOT KICK THEM OUT... the lack of buisness did

Old 08-25-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You are not posting the true facts the building is not being destroyed the owners made a choice for better sales to be closer to uptown for more buisness that it has been lacking. The physical shell will remain.

BEAZER DID NOT KICK THEM OUT... the lack of buisness did
They didn't say anything about that on news channel 14

Old 08-25-2007, 05:32 PM

I believe they are broadcasting that on the hour. Rewatch it again

they mention about it closing down that was the story not the building and no mention about Beazer it was about the restaurant itself closing.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:12 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,836,276 times
Article from the Charlotte Observer.

Coffee Cup all set for switch to new grounds

The proprietors of the 60-year-old soul food restaurant near uptown have agreed to lease space in the Cameron Brown building at South McDowell and East Third streets -- giving the business room to expand but removing it from a historic building they fought hard last year to save.

Charlotte Observer | 08/23/2007 | Coffee Cup all set for switch to new grounds (http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/247284.html - broken link)

Moderator cut: Copyright Violation: Please read TOS. You can only post the idea of article you want expressed and your opinion and a link to the article in these forums. Copying an article and redistributing is against companies copyrights. Check the source for copyrights.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-26-2007 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 08-26-2007, 08:29 AM

Awesome. The website I went to (top of my google search) did not mention anything about that, I guess it wasn't updated since before the fight to save the building. As usual the truth (assuming the Observer post is accurate) lies somewhere in the middle. Beazer did want to demo the building but Charlotte delayed it.

I love their old sign! I know customers that use to go there were going to eat but it stands for so much more now. I personally feel too much of our non workplace society is still racially segregated. I'm not trying to start a flame thread, but the first example Wikipedia gives is eating in a restaurant. So the fact the coffee cup is now known for breaking the racial divide before the civil rights movement is huge, IMO. Future generations need to see the places these things happened rather than reading it in a book or on a historical marker.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:11 AM

Here is article on the 20th in the Charlotte buisness journal explaining Coffee cup restaurant finding a new home.
Historic Coffee Cup finds new uptown home - Charlotte Business Journal:

Old 08-26-2007, 11:56 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,918,346 times
Thank you Sunny. This is one case where the old is NOT being sacrificed for the new, it was the owner's choice. When the controversy started years back, there was a huge outcry to keep the place. That restaurant is a dump and the food gross, but whatever.

If you all are really concerned about preservation forget the stinking Coffee Cup and look at the Carolina Theater and the changes being made at Spirit Square.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:53 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,836,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
Article from the Charlotte Observer.

Coffee Cup all set for switch to new grounds

The proprietors of the 60-year-old soul food restaurant near uptown have agreed to lease space in the Cameron Brown building at South McDowell and East Third streets -- giving the business room to expand but removing it from a historic building they fought hard last year to save.

Charlotte Observer | 08/23/2007 | Coffee Cup all set for switch to new grounds (http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/247284.html - broken link)

Moderator cut: Copyright Violation: Please read TOS. You can only post the idea of article you want expressed and your opinion and a link to the article in these forums. Copying an article and redistributing is against companies copyrights. Check the source for copyrights.
Sorry MOD, thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte